Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1956121 01/20/08
P
OP Offline
P
I have several books that I have enjoyed reading and re-reading over the years authored by Sam Fadala. It has been a along time since I have seen anything authored by him. I was wondering if he is still around, retired, or ....?

PoorShot

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The last few times when I've tried to call my friend Sam, I got no answer. Hope to see him at the SHOT Show.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

P
OP Offline
P
Thanks, I will have to see if I am missing any of his books if he has anything new.

PoorShot

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I ordered some stuff through Natchez...a short while later Guns & Ammo started arriving in my mail "with the compliments of Natchez Shooters Supply".

In the January 2008 Guns & Ammo, Sam Fadala has an article titled "Smackdown!" where he describes the virtues of cast bullets with large meplats. He refers to them as "Broad Meplat Bullets" (BMBs).

An interesting excerpt from the article is: "...I chose a Model 1895 Marlin .45-70 as my personal PH rifle for Africa, shooting heavy BMBs--a serious decision when you're legally responsible for the safety of your hunters. Someone gets hurt, you lose your license, or worse."

I take it that Fadala is referring to himself as the African PH--maybe that's where he's been.

(Also, I wonder if he read about Brian Pearce's exploits in Africa with a Marlin .45-70 and cast bullets with broad meplats!). :-)

Last edited by mdatlanta; 01/20/08.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't know what the big deal would be. The .458 was THE African caliber for a long time and it has been well-known that platforms such as the '95 or the Ruger #1 were capable of velocities approaching the .458. ????

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
PS, I like both Brian Pearce and Sam Fadala's articles though. I'd have read the African ones too if I'd had the magazine they were in.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I haven't seen Sam at SHOT for a couple of years.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recall seeing Sam's name recently. Must have been that Jan. issue of "Guns and Ammo". Maybe he is doing some stuff in Africa or is semi-retired or something? Checked my library and the only book by him that turned up was "The Book Of The Twenty-Two, The All-American Caliber", which was copyrighted 1989. That one covers just about any 22 from rimfire up to some of the biggest 22 cal. wildcats. Can't ever recall disliking any of Sam's writing efforts. Could anyone out there provide us with a "Sam Fadala Update"?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
I don't know what the big deal would be. The .458 was THE African caliber for a long time and it has been well-known that platforms such as the '95 or the Ruger #1 were capable of velocities approaching the .458. ????
You can come close to the .458 Win-mag in the Ruger Number 1, but you're still quite a ways away in the Marling Model 95.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Here is a link, to get book info.
http://www.alibris.com/search/books/author/Fadala,%20Sam

Can also do simple search on his name. Will bring up a lot.

Have been running across Sam's name in many different mags, and tomes like loading books, prefaces, etc. the last few years. He was fairly current with Fur-Fish-Game for awhile, but don't recall any of late.

Appears that he is free lancing quite a bit, and just enjoying himself with writing as he wishes.

Wouldn't surprise me if he was in Africa now. Wish him the best, and many more of his writing/articles for me, smile !!!

IC B3

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by 22250rem
I recall seeing Sam's name recently. Must have been that Jan. issue of "Guns and Ammo". Maybe he is doing some stuff in Africa or is semi-retired or something? Checked my library and the only book by him that turned up was "The Book Of The Twenty-Two, The All-American Caliber", which was copyrighted 1989. That one covers just about any 22 from rimfire up to some of the biggest 22 cal. wildcats. Can't ever recall disliking any of Sam's writing efforts. Could anyone out there provide us with a "Sam Fadala Update"?

I have read that book 4 or 5 times. I especially like chapter 4. Rattlesnake Nights And The Louisiana Bullfrog Man. It is worth the price of the book alone. I did some checking I think he has written at least 13 books? If he has been in Fur Fish and Game I missed it totally. I think I will start reading Guns and Ammo again. He also does some muzzel loader articles according to one bio I read. What I like about his writting is that you can tell he has, been there done that, and his style is very easy understand and read.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sam is now or was a PH?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
his book on the model 94 - Winchester's 30-30: Model 94, the Rifle America Loves - from 1986 is a joy. gave my copy
to a friend when he bought a model 94. the load tables in that rascal are a wonder.

now that i again have a .30-30 (it's a marlin, but i don't think sam would mind), i think i'll pick up another copy. then again, maybe fadala will write a book on the 336.

he's kind of the how-to man's how-to gun writer ...

Last edited by fish30ought6; 01/21/08.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I don't think he would mind the Marlin at all, as he wrote an artical on how he slimmed down the forearm on one of his.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have Sam's Black Powder Handbook, and I'd like to find a copy of the M-94 book. I remember the article someone here refered to where he wrote about refurbishing a used Marlin 336-A. I think it was published in American Rifleman, but my memory is not very reliable nowadays. Anyway, that article prompted me to try my hand at fixing up an old, crappy M-94 I had which was collecting dust--a project which turned out to be a lot of fun. :-)

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
We had a Christmas card from Sam. Best I can recall is that they are splitting time between a cabin in the New Mexico mountains and a home near Benson, AZ. We hope the royalty checks can keep up with his address; they have been well earned.

KenO

As it was explained to me many years ago, "I feel sorry for those who believe that ballistics is an exact science. They just don't understand the problems."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Sam Fadala is a writer. He writes about guns and bows, and gets published.

The last article I read by Sam was "Kings Three," about the .270, the 30-06, and the 7mm Mag, I think. Nothing new there, just Sam doing his thing.

I've been seeing his work for decades. When I was editing "Primitive Archer" he sent me an article about the atlatl, which I published. "Before the Bow" was the title, as I recall.

I'd like to read some his more in-depth stuff. He's a readable writer who can reach into mid-air and come up with an article. And hard-working, or so I think, and that's what's pays the bills.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hello All
I believe that somewhere I read that an updated Black Powder Handbook is comming out or just released by Sam Fadala.
nelson

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wish he or his publisher would reprint his Win 30-30 book.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,506 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,445
Posts18,489,618
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.