Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#2001662 02/08/08
L
Longbob Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
This should be dull. Just curious which Bible you use and do you accept your Bible in whole or in part? My wife got into a discussion like this with her father and it was very interesting how his views came to be and how they are now in question.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I like the King James, but mine is the parallel version, with the Amplified version in the right column and the KJV in the left column.

It's certainly an accurate (if somewhat archaic, but still very readable, English) translation of legitimate sources for the books, both, of the New and Old Testaments. Ultimately, if you want to be a real stickler for accuracy, one would need to become a master of Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic (and, perhaps, Latin, to boot), and read all the books in their original languages, but short of that, I think the KJV is just fine for gaining a full and correct comprehension of the sacred texts of Christianity.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mostly I use the New International Version. But I've also got a "parallel text" Bible that has the New King James, Revised Standard, New International Version, and New American Standard.

Barak has those (and more I believe) on his Treo. If we're in a Bible study group or some other group quoting the Bible, he usually reads from a version that no one else is reading from.

I also have a Hebrew/English Bible (but I'd have to go look to see which English version it is). When I use that one, I'm not so interested in the English... I'm looking at the Hebrew.

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
NIV. I believe every word in it out of necessity. By that I mean if I am to not believe some passages how do I know which are true and which are not? My brother once told me that he thought there were errors all through the Bible. I simply asked him to show me one. That was the end of that.

One problem we have with different translations is that the meaning of words change from generation to generation and a word that mean one thing to King James does not have the same meaning to society today. The best example of this I can think of is the word 'gay'. In my youth it meant happy and carefree. Today it represents a vile perversion. I have trouble following meanings in the KJV, especially the letters of Paul.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MColeman
NIV. I believe every word in it out of necessity. By that I mean if I am to not believe some passages how do I know which are true and which are not? My brother once told me that he thought there were errors all through the Bible. I simply asked him to show me one. That was the end of that.

One problem we have with different translations is that the meaning of words change from generation to generation and a word that mean one thing to King James does not have the same meaning to society today. The best example of this I can think of is the word 'gay'. In my youth it meant happy and carefree. Today it represents a vile perversion. I have trouble following meanings in the KJV, especially the letters of Paul.
Yes, but we all know what the word gay meant before it was hijacked, so no reason to throw the KJV in the trash.

IC B2

Tod Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
RSV and Jerusalem bible. The former for its accuracy of translation, the latter for it's notes. I also have a Greek/English NT for reference. And no, I am not a literalist.

Be the person your dog thinks you are.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
english standard version is my favorite because it expresses the lyricism and rhythm of the kjv with modern english.
whether kjv, esv or niv or whatever standard actual translation, the Word is inerrant and infallible.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One problem we have with different translations is that the meaning of words change from generation to generation and a word that mean one thing to King James does not have the same meaning to society today. The best example of this I can think of is the word 'gay'.

I'm not sure the word "gay" is used in the Bible; but another one you can use is the word "prevent." Today, it means "to keep from happening." But in the time of the King James translation, it meant "to come before." (It's used in several Psalms.)

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
KJV for its poetic eloquence
New American Standard for its word by word precision.

I believe the whole book, cover to cover, taking into account hyperbole, parable, figure of speach and symbolism.

Is life so dear or peace so sweet...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Either the KJV or NIV. Our preacher preaches from the NIV.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by DixieFreedoms
KJV for its poetic eloquence
New American Standard for its word by word precision.

I believe the whole book, cover to cover, taking into account hyperbole, parable, figure of speach and symbolism.

Tyndale can be credited for the poetic eloquence....phrases like the "love of many shall wax cold" and so forth.

The KJV scholars used much of his translation

I like the KJV, and have several interlinears.

Everytime I think of getting a newer and better translation, I run into the problem of having all of my references and notes in the KJV I have. It would be tedious to transfer those.

Steve

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Orthodox Study Bible and KJV.

Dan

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Barak
One problem we have with different translations is that the meaning of words change from generation to generation and a word that mean one thing to King James does not have the same meaning to society today. The best example of this I can think of is the word 'gay'.

I'm not sure the word "gay" is used in the Bible; but another one you can use is the word "prevent." Today, it means "to keep from happening." But in the time of the King James translation, it meant "to come before." (It's used in several Psalms.)
Also the word suffer, as in suffer the little children, which means permit in King James English. But, if you've grown up reading the KJV, these things are not the least bit confusing.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dantheman
Orthodox Study Bible and KJV.

Dan
Do you mean, by Orthodox, Eastern Orthodox?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I've never personally seen a need for anything but the King James Bible. YMMV.

edited to add:

. . . . but unless you read and study the Bible, I guess it doesn't matter which one you DON'T read. wink

Last edited by the_shootist; 02/08/08.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Psalm 33:4 For the word of the Lord is right, and all His work is done in truth.
Psalm 18:30 As for God,His way is perfect; The word of the Lord is proven; He is a shield to all who trust in Him.
Isaih 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God stands forver.
John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

I have heard people say the Book says it, I believe it, and that settles it.
I would like to say the Book says it, and that settles it.
I would also like to add that everything in the Word is to point us to Christ. John 1:1 is talking about Jesus. I like to study with NASB,NIV,KJV, but usually carry NKJV because that is what my pastor happens to preach out of.

Make shure whatever translation you use reads " I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me John 14:6

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
NIV for reading and "general study" because of its accuracy and readability
NASB for in-depth study, for its word-by-word precision
NKJV when I want to reference another translation for comparison purposes

I also read the KJV occasionally, and since I grew up with the KJV, I do not have much trouble with the archaic words, but it takes me longer to read a passage in the KJV because my mind has to process it more than reading one of the more recent translations.

I've never found a reason to go beyond those four English translations.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Shootist I like what you said about unless you study the Bible it doesn't matter which one you don't read. Its a pleasure to read I think for most of us its just hard to open.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
NIV.....if it's in there, I believe it. No grey areas.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NIV, RSV and the NASB. For reading the NIV for study the RSV and the NASB.

><}}> "A Government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson <{{><
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 117LBS, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 55 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,159
Posts18,502,978
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.