Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
I'm looking hard at both these scopes.

The first candidate is a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10x50. I can get a good deal on it, so there isn't too much of a price difference. My concerns about this setup are: the Burris might actually be better, and also I'm planning on using a Limbsaver deresonator and I'm worried the low line of sight from the scope might be obscured. I'm pretty good sized and not sure the extra low line of sight for the VX-L is needed for me. If I go this route I'll get the B&C reticle.

The second candidate is the Burris Euro Diamond 2.5-10x50. It obviously sits a bit higher off the rifle. I like the idea of the wider magnification range. With this scope I'd get the LRS Ballistic Plex reticle, which looks like it'd be a better low-light reticle than the B&C. Anyone have any experience with this reticle? How does it work during strong daylight? I definitely need a strong low-light scope, but just as definitely it needs to work in all conditions.

I'd appreciate any informed opinions on the clarity and brightness of these two scopes. Please don't post unless you've actually looked through both, preferably in the field.

The winner of the competition will soon be installed on my recently acquired Composite Stalker 7mm WSM. =:-D

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
A couple more things...

I wanted to hear from those who'd actually looked through both scopes...that may have been a high bar. I was just looking to avoid a flame war without much substance.

Also, looking at things a bit more, I think I'd also consider the Zeiss Conquest 3-9x50 with the Rapid-Z 600 reticle, in the same price range.

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Given there've been no replies for a few days, I'm guessing the scopes are pretty comparable.

I'm still leaning towards the Burris Euro Diamond 2.5-10x50 with the illuminated reticle. I did at least read that the reticle just returns to black with no battery. The one feature that I'm not too sure about is the Posi-Lock feature. I'm not really a knob twister when I hunt so I think it'll be OK for me.

Is there any other downside to the Euro Diamond scopes? Anyone using them?

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
PL, You may get some response at opticstalk.com. Their are some seemingly knowledgeable folks who post there based on lots of reported scope experience.

For what it's worth, I haven't looked through either of the two scopes you mention, but I do have a Signature Select 3-10x40 and a not yet mounted VX III 3.5-10x40 (replacing a Vari-X III 2.5-8). To my eyes, no optical problems with either, but the Burris's glass seems brighter than the Vari-X III (currently unsure about the VX III).

However, the Burris has some features for which I don't care. For instance, the windage and elevation knobs are marked "R/U," and are used interchangeably, instead of having dedicated "R" and "U" knobs. No biggie, it just smacks of bean counting. Also the adjustments on my Burris, unlike the Leupold's, take a shot or two to become settled.

Last edited by trkyshootr; 02/05/08. Reason: Last sentence: "the" to "my"
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My choice would be simple. The Leupold features Diamond Coat Coatings. That means the precious optical qualities you want by going to a 50mm scope, will last far longer. Few know that scopes w/o super hard coatings loose noticable optical qualities after 4-5 yrs of regular use, even with the best of care. E

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
My choice would be simple. The Leupold features Diamond Coat Coatings. That means the precious optical qualities you want by going to a 50mm scope, will last far longer. Few know that scopes w/o super hard coatings loose noticable optical qualities after 4-5 yrs of regular use, even with the best of care. E

........but since he's never used either one of them, he doesn't really know which one is better. His comments about "diamond coatings" have drawn the ire of many folks here.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
No worries! I'm guessing durability wise all three makes are quite good.

I just wish I could find somewhere to actually look through the scopes. :-/

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Very insightful of you Mr. Erimicus, thank you for your input. If I had the money I know which I would purchase.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Leupold's claim of their Diamond Coat Coatings being 15X harder has been well validated for many years by many including the military. E

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Leupold's claim of their Diamond Coat Coatings being 15X harder has been well validated for many years by many including the military. E

Are they still made with diamonds, as you have previously stated?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
JG,

Be careful; in the 6 years I've been on this forum I've only been contacted by one moderator, Sitka Deer, many, many times, and then only when I said something other than kind to Mr. Erimicis. So, you might be ready for a visit from AK's favorite son, Sitka Deer.

Imagine that � In 6 years on this forum I've had official contact with only one moderator, and only when I was less than coddling to one specific poster. One might draw certain inferences from such coincidences.

I, for one, don't believe in coincidences.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well I don't have the exact Leupold scope you mention but I have the optically similar vx3 3.5-10x50 as well as the Burris Eurodiamond 2.5-10x42 with posilock. I really have not compared them for brightness in near dark situations but I'll try to soon and get back to you.

I also have a Ziess 3.5-10x50 conquest,to me it is brighter and clearer than the same size Leupold. All three of these are good scopes and will give you good service.

Here is the way I see it,on a heavy kicker I like the Burris. Mine is on a 375 and works fine. Burris' better scopes are tough as nails. On a rifle used for hunting in low light over ag fields or food plots,I like the Ziess Conquest,super good in low light. I would put the Leupold on a rifle that I intended to carry around,it is lighter and more compact than the other two.

I have used both the BC reticle from Leupy as well as Burris balistic plex,both work great but I like the Leupold version better. It is easier to tell the stadia apart in a hurry and they are more useful in compensating for the wind.

I have not tried the Ziess rapid Z but it looks a little funny to me,I like the reticle to look familar to me,less disconcerting.

For hitting stuff a long way off,get the leupold with B&C reticle.

For shooting stuff in near darkness,get the Ziess with a 4A reticle.

For standing the abuse of heavy recoil,I like the Burris.

Hope this helps,

Britt

P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Britt,

Thanks very much, that's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for, and I'm looking forward to your low-light observations.

I'm not in a big rush to rescope the rifle, I may try to find somewhere within driving distance to look through some of them before buying. I'm also a bit nervous about buying expensive optics mail order rather than being able to inspect them in person.

Regardless, this site is a great resource. Thanks again!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
A couple of things. First, no 50mm scope by anyone can be expected to hold up under recoil as well as the better 40mm class scopes. Burris does make some good, tough scopes. But no one matches Leupold in that respect.
Some people can't, or won't, fully focus their Leupolds to match the image quality that they get with the much easier to focus euros. Or other scopes with the euro focusing system. I've seen lots of this myself.
If it isn't fully focused, then both the reticle and the image will not last as long as a scope with similar optics as the light fades. Many think, for instance, that Zeiss's Conquest have some special attributes that make their Z-Plex last longer than Leupold's Medium Duplex. But an examination of the specs reveals that they use the same thicknesses in both. It isn't the difference in one being etched or made from wire either. It's how sharp the reticle is focused that makes the difference. A really sharp Leupold reticle will, for instance, look like it's standing out, away from the image, not flat against the image.
Frankly, even on the darkest nights, I haven't seen anything in the way of twilight that couldn't be handled with a basic 40mm variable, even down to the old VariXII Leupolds which weren't multicoated. The trick is to make sure you use the highest magnification where you can see anything, not the brightest image setting. That's always the lowest ranges, not the highest where you can see more. E

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mr. E,

We disagree about the brightness and clarity of leupold vx3 versus ziess conquest. I think that Leupold scopes are very tough and have never had one fail,but Burris scopes with the posi lock are my choice on hard kicking rifles.

The man asked for opinions of people who own the scopes in question and I gave him mine. You are free to give him yours but I'm not sure if you have compared the scopes in question for yourself since your post didn't say that you actually had.

Britt

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I've owned both and My vote is for the VX-L not that the Burris is not an excellent scope the weight is the major factor in my decision..................547.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I haven't compared THOSE two scopes, but I don't like 50mm objective lenses.

If you are stuck on those two, I would say that either one is a great scope.

The Diamond coating may or may not be the deal killer- look through it and see.

The NEW Swarovski SLCs and ELs are being made with a new coating as of right now too. It is a Rain-x + super hard coating. I am going to send my 15x56 SLCs back for new lenses as it is that big of a deal to me ON BINOCULARS.

I have a 30-year-old Vari-x III that still looks good to my eyes. Just how good to rifle scopes have to be optically. I don't use mine as a range finder and have NEVER had the quality of a scope cost me a shot. I think we are over doing this. The makers have to come out with new models every year or two just to sell more stuff to those of you who have to have the latest and greatest of everything.

I know a lot of a guys that traded in their perfectly good pickups so they could have a "Hemi"- most have regretted it. It's human nature I guess.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just a data point- the one time I've needed customer service (repair work) on a Burris scope, they SUCKED. The two times I've sent a scope to Leupold, they were AMAZING.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
My information is that Posi-Lock does not make the scope any less prone to breakdown from recoil. Not does it prevent the scope's zero from shifting if the scope is impacted. E

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
On the contrary, I have found as have others, that the posilok does indeed work. It is my opinion that this was out of necessity as Burris used to use a brass zoom tube which, being much heavier than 6061 aluminum (used by Leupold) exerted much great forces on the springs than the lighter tube. A properly sighted in Burris with posilok securely tightened will not move at all. It is a PITA to sight in but once done is secure.

Now that Burris has switched to 7000 series aluminum for SOME of their zoom tubes I doubt it is needed.

I have had exactly ONE Burris scope go bad. I sent it back and it was promptly returned in perfect working order. I haven't had to send anything back to Leupold yet so I can't comment on them. I have heard that they are a lot more discriminate than they were even a couple of years ago as to what the consider abuse and what is warranteed.

Dennis

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10ring1, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,651 guests, and 1,354 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,948
Posts18,480,334
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.