Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
RickBin Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
You can find it here:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/8x42.html

Let me know if I can be of any help.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent review. Seemed quite fairly done though maybe it seems that way to me because the review pretty much tracks exactly with what I've seen in the same binoculars smile ..........................DJ

BTW it probably should have a sticky to the top of the forum so potential binocular buyers can read it.

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My only comment would be "sample variation". I have owned multiple sets of the same high quality bino and you could see one set was better. I do like the format of the review.
Thanks Rick and all others.

Dave

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good comprehensive review... great resource for those looking to purchase 8x binos. Thanks!

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Just wondering. Have you happened to use the Bushnell Elite 8x43? I got them half price on sale and they are by far the best binoculars I have personally used, but was wondering how they might compare with those mentioned in the review. Thanks

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
good review but the edge to edge sharpness according to my eyes and everyone on birdforum.net all think swarovski owns the "sweet spot" category with leica in betwen and zeiss haveing the most narrow sweet spot....

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Hard to add anything to your tests. Without a doubt, in my mind, the 8X40/43 size is the best as far as an all around hunting binocular. I used both it and my 8X32 alot in the wide open country in Montana this year, along with my 12X50. If you use them properly, and patiently, I discovered they will allow you to see alot more than you'd ever think. Try this, a medium size black bear over 2.5 miles out. Could make out the details of his head, etc., long, narrow with high ears vs. wide w/ lower ears of an older bear. Or this, a 5 pt. class bull elk, face on, with snow as a background; 2.5 miles out and 2500 ft. above me. The black bear with an 8X32 Nikon LXL, the 5 pt. class bull an 8X42 Leica BA.
The other thing I'll point out is that small details like field of view, or tiny differences in image clarity, don't seem to make much difference in the field. But things like overall weight and ergonomics go a long way to what you get out them. I got one of my biggest surprises when I used my 34 oz. w/ strap Leica against a Pentax ED @ 26.5 ozs. w/ strap from some field positions. Both were so close optically. I had a very hard time seeing any differences. But, when you sit a glass with them, the difference is starling. The much heavier Leica would not only show me more, but it would show me the same things the Pentax would but much faster, or more easily. The further out the object viewed was, the bigger the difference. E

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The much faster, more easily you saw with your Leica had alot to do with FOV. I'm sorry E but wide FOV does make a difference in the field. It gives an easier view with equal optics IMHO and is more important than weight. I'm by no means an optics expert, more like a novice, but I hunt much of the desert country you do as well as the Rockies. And I've carried the same Pentax (SP) you constantly rave about for several years now. Great bins for the price, by the way, but the more limited feild of view is quite apparent to me after looking through similar and slightly higher priced brands my friends carried.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Since I happen to own the Zeiss bins, I couldn't agree more with this review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That hasn't been my experience. What helps the eye see things more clearly and allows the eye to "roam around" inside the binocular is exit pupil size. This allows the eye to show you things with less fatigue over the day.
While I do like the SP's and think they are an excellent buy, the binoculars I rave about are my two Leicas and my Nikon LX. E

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just get some Leica Duovids... then you can have a nice FOV and exit pupil size on 8x along with the ability to look "closer" for more detail at 12x. smile

"Everyone who receives the protection of society owes a return for the benefit." -- John Stuart Mill
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Don't think I haven't thought about it. If I had it to do all over again, I'd skip the 8X42 and 12X50 Leicas and buy the 8+12 Duovid. In fact, I may have to do that anyway. Have trouble doing w/o the very best. E

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Very nice review Rick. I do appreciate the fact that you included a variety of different individuals with different levels of experience. I think that puts the results in a perspective that we can all appreciate.

Ofcourse, I do also enjoy the results as I prefer the FLs for a variety of reasons...

...weight
...ergonomics
...brightness
...sharpness
...field of view
...lack of color fringing

Excellent bins. I look forward to seeing how they compare with the new Nikon EDGs.

Frank
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Excellent report & work,
thanks Rick.

roe

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Rick,

Me three on the good work with this review!

The other thing is with all these great choices available, there are still new companies introducing binos. Optics is a crowded field, and here come more folks to the party. SHOT will be more interesting this year.

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Rick;

Great review!

Any chance on having some of the lower-end stuff stacked and compared against a few of the best?

Say, either the Leica Ultravids or the Zeiss Victory, the Minox HG 8.5x43s, and then add in something like the Nikon Monarch ATBs, the Swift Audubons, and the Leupold Green Ring or Gold Rings?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Very good review. Straight forward without alot of bino gak. Very useful for the hunter looking for new bins.

Bill

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Rick as you know I tried from Cameraland two Leicas, with the 8 x 32 Ultravid besting the 8 x 42 Ultravid (individual variances?), and then the Zeiss 8 x 42 Victory with lotutec and I am keeping that one. All are very nice, I see not any difference in edge resolution on any, and the Zeiss was the brightest and gave me the best image.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Good review. I am curious as to why Fujinon is never reviewed. They make a roof prism CD glass that in my opinion is a good quality glass at a fair price. I assume they also are not willing to send a sample.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Worked for a local sporting goods store for a couple of years part time and could play with many of the above mentioned. With the exception of the Minox. Pesonally liked the Swarovski's although at the end of the day I still own a pair of Zeiss Diafun's in an 8x32 that do everything I need them to at this time.
For the money and my position in life at the time they were a good investment and very good every day glass for all around use.

MCS

What part of "Constitutionally !!LIMITED!!" don't you understand?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 1234, 222Sako, 21, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 3,869 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,816
Posts18,536,768
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.