Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25
H
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
H
Well maybe a greyhound could hold his own but I don't know if he could out last 'em

...for sure...live long enough you're gonna end up dying of something
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
runnin away...

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
You guys are nutz, this is the only dog capable of putting the smack down on a wolf, heck this breed could take 3 or 4 wolves at a time.

I think its scientific name is caninus schwarzenegous
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
I find it strange that so many of you think no dogs can hang with a wolf in a fight. I question the fact that Many of you have actually seen a wolf or seen a real nasty dog breed in action?

Yes, Wolfs are big, mean, and nasty BUT, there are many breeds of dogs that are big, mean, and nasty as well.

I have a good friend that has raised two wolfs over the years and they were just like dogs. They were very similar to German Shepards IMO in build, size, and phisical characteristics. Not exact but, similar none the less.

A Pit, American Bull, Akita or some of the other large dangerous dogs could easily hold his weight against a wolf IMO. I'm not talking your every day lap dogs, I've seen some of these breeds that make your every day german shepard or Rott look like a poodle! I personally feel some of them would make a wolf their bitch one on one. Although illegal(and down right stupid), some backwoods areas still dog fight, Have any of you seen pits that were bred for fighting? I think If I had the choice of encountering some of the fight dogs I've seen and a wolf, I think I'd rather encounter the wolf.

Reloader7RM

Your friend didn't "raise" wolves -- that's conceptually impossible. What he raised were two dogs with poor domesticity genes -- about 75,000 years out of date.

Wolves are wild animals -- once you condition one to human handling you have turned them into dogs -- poor dogs, but dogs none the less.

An adult wild wolf that wanted to eat a domestic dog would turn any breed, fighting or lap, into burger in less time than it would take you to look away.

Your fantasies may vary, but they're still just fantasies.

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
L
L
The Norwegian Elkhound has been Norway�s main dog for the last 5000 years. There primary use was and still is hunting. In Norway they are used to hunt elg (moose), bear and yes Wolves. Not only were they used to hunt wolves, but they were also used to protect livestock from wolves.

I had an elkhound when I was growing up. I don�t think she ever saw a wolf or even a coyote, but I did see her take on a nest of baby rabbits once. It was a tough one, but she came out the winner.

Here is a link that that discusses the elkhound� history with wolves. Scroll down to the wolf period portion.

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/News/2002/December2002/News131202/norwegian.htm

The story �wolf night� might be embellished a little bit.

Here is another link that discusses the use of elkhounds for hunting.

http://www.elkhound.net/huntingelkhound.htm

Last edited by LostJohny; 02/22/08.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Irish Wolfhound is another. It is big, fast and has tremendous endurance. Bred for wolf hunting by the Celts and unlike the Irish themselves, does not easily seccumb to whiskey and vodka.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_Wolfhound

Cano-e-cano, I don't know if individual dogs can hold their own, but wolves cornered vs. wolves just looking for a meal I suspect are two completely different issues.

Steve

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
May not be a domestic but this dog will take of wolves.

http://www.courageouscaucasians.com/

http://elbruskennel.net/KoHistory.html

The caucasians are from russia.

The tradition is to crop thier ears so when a wolf grabs for the dogs ears it only gets a mouthfull of hair which leaves the wolf vulnerable. One wolf is not a match for a caucasian.

Also the dogs are shaggy like sheep so when the wolves come running all the sheep take off and the dog lays down til pounced on by a wolf.

These dogs are known to take on a wolf or wolves for that matter. If they are overtaken they will fight to the death.

My buddy had one of these dogs named "Conan" . His parents were brought over from Russia. The father named Czar was 220 pounds . Had cropped ears and looked like a bear not a dog. The mother was 180 pounds. Conan has reached 200 pounds at his peak.

They are loyal and faithful to family. But very distrustful if you are not family.

The dogs ears are cropped by grabbing a puppy by the ears and flinging it in the air and ripping the ears off. If the dog does not live through this it is not worth keeping. (old tradition).

This is about the caucasion:

Volkodavs are capable of killing the wolf, a leopard, a bear. AS TO THE WOLF- IT IS ABSOLUTELY TRUE, and with the others named, they fly into a rage... Yes, some experts mention duels of these dogs with young leopards and the same young bears, but authors are inclined to count real combat between the dogs and leopards and bears as legends. The bear is capable of killing with one blow of his paw a dog of any breed. Representatives of large cats easily cope with dogs with teeth which are the instrument of murder, and with equally dangerous claws. And last circumstance is especially important: dogs are absolutely not prepared to counter the techniques of conducting combat by cats - The impacts by the hind legs are capable of instantly opening the belly.

http://www.dogforce.com/facts_fiction.htm

Just a few more of these pages and wolves will be 100 feet tall and smashing Tokyo.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I would have bet money there wasn't a 'domestic dog breed' that could live through a fight with a wolf. But this Caucasion has put me in a totally different mind set. What a freaken hound.

I'm sure I'd want to stay on the right side of that dog. Holy schitteeerrreeeee. The really good feature is its thick long coat protecting it from a lot of bites that would tear an shorter haired Irish Wolfy to pieces. Now if it is a fierce as Airedales, you've got a wolf killer for sure. If Caucasions have the tempermanent of an Airedale (which is the only 'guard type'I'm familiar with) then, whoah to pissing that dog off.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I hear certain types of domestic cats give them stomach aches, and the runs...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Wolves are pack animals -

How may dog's you planning on buying.

If you get 4 make sure one's a begal, that way he can sneak under the dog pile and take out privates of the wolf.

Spot

Last edited by Spotshooter; 02/23/08.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
What a gift! One of my all-time favorite campfire threads, resurrected one year after I thought it had died.

Now let's sit back and see how many more people will brag of owning dogs that can kill a wolf. Muledeer hit the nail on the head with his commment about fantasies (but come on, they're so much fun)

An adult wild wolf that wanted to eat a domestic dog would turn any breed, fighting or lap, into burger in less time than it would take you to look away.

Your fantasies may vary, but they're still just fantasies.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
[Linked Image]

I'd have to agree with you....after seeing what runs around my chukar country of late. Never have seen one but I've heard them. Seriously, take a look at those Caucasions dogs and then compare them to the picture.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does this compare?

Wolf that saw his first caucasion.

Attached Images
9358-wolf.gif (23.4 KB, 514 downloads)
Last edited by RMiller; 02/23/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Does this compare.
This is a puppy still
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] Asian art

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
PACK OF CAUCASIANS

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 on that wolf outwaiting the pit bull for dinner. Or coming back with some help.

The wolf has to find it's supper. A dog knows it will be fed.The wolf intends to cheat, surprise, outnumber, and "outwolf" its opponents from go.

Obviously mankind can spend a couple of hundred years breeding and training pit bulls to do what is essentially a controlled game with rules. It is not the same. You end up with gaming dogs that can get themselves in trouble when they play the game they have been taught outside the arena.

Hounds have been bred for and taught to play a game too. Within the game they are likely superior to wolves.

The wolf will not willingly get torn up so bad that it can't get it's next meal. At least not more than once. Their breed figured that out a long time ago.

I hesitate to talk about wolves when they are run by hounds as I haven't seen it.

I have seen the youtube video with the two coyotes running the wolf off from their denning grounds so I believe it is real similar to how it works with coyotes.

A coyote is not a coward. It runs from packs of dogs because it wants to stay healthy. That's why the dogs stay in the packs. Every once in a while a yound hound will get out ahead and catch up to a coyote and get it's ass kicked.

It comes back with a look that says "Boss the coyote quit playing the game. I barked. It didn't run what's up?"

A coyote that thinks it can will kill a dog. A big dog can kill a coyote but generally get's slashed up by a coyote in the process.

A shorter, compact long haired stock dog [dingo/shepard cross] works well to den coyotes by entering their den and fighting the parents and killing the pups. They get trained to kill by using them a s trap dogs.

As to discussions about bite strength. Coyotes and I believe wolves mostly slash when they fight. Only biting when they want to crush something as biting gets you tied up in a way that can get you hurt. Hence the long snouts and exaggerated canines. Pretty true of the design manual on sight hounds too.

Now when these hardy's get tpo eating bones they put it in the back of the jaw where the forces are better suited for the work.

Pit bulls [a big part of this thread so far], bulldogs, mastiffs,
etc tend to have shorter jaws and consequently more strength with the front of their jaws. I imagine because their plan is to grab a throat or nose and hang on and hang on.

Cats and Weasels will bite the neck from the back and try to pierce the CNS or bite from the front and gut their prey with their rear feet.

What I see several of us trying to say is that the motives and methods are quite a bit different between wolves and dogs. Further that if you set the game up by staging a fight or contest with outside influence on the surroundings some of us believe the results can be predicted with near cetainty. So do the wolves. They call it hunting.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
+1 on that wolf outwaiting the pit bull for dinner. Or coming back with some help.

The wolf has to find it's supper. A dog knows it will be fed.The wolf intends to cheat, surprise, outnumber, and "outwolf" its opponents from go.

Obviously mankind can spend a couple of hundred years breeding and training pit bulls to do what is essentially a controlled game with rules. It is not the same. You end up with gaming dogs that can get themselves in trouble when they play the game they have been taught outside the arena.

Hounds have been bred for and taught to play a game too. Within the game they are likely superior to wolves.

The wolf will not willingly get torn up so bad that it can't get it's next meal. At least not more than once. Their breed figured that out a long time ago.

I hesitate to talk about wolves when they are run by hounds as I haven't seen it.

I have seen the youtube video with the two coyotes running the wolf off from their denning grounds so I believe it is real similar to how it works with coyotes.

A coyote is not a coward. It runs from packs of dogs because it wants to stay healthy. That's why the dogs stay in the packs. Every once in a while a yound hound will get out ahead and catch up to a coyote and get it's ass kicked.

It comes back with a look that says "Boss the coyote quit playing the game. I barked. It didn't run what's up?"

A coyote that thinks it can will kill a dog. A big dog can kill a coyote but generally get's slashed up by a coyote in the process.

A shorter, compact long haired stock dog [dingo/shepard cross] works well to den coyotes by entering their den and fighting the parents and killing the pups. They get trained to kill by using them a s trap dogs.

As to discussions about bite strength. Coyotes and I believe wolves mostly slash when they fight. Only biting when they want to crush something as biting gets you tied up in a way that can get you hurt. Hence the long snouts and exaggerated canines. Pretty true of the design manual on sight hounds too.

Now when these hardy's get tpo eating bones they put it in the back of the jaw where the forces are better suited for the work.

Pit bulls [a big part of this thread so far], bulldogs, mastiffs,
etc tend to have shorter jaws and consequently more strength with the front of their jaws. I imagine because their plan is to grab a throat or nose and hang on and hang on.

Cats and Weasels will bite the neck from the back and try to pierce the CNS or bite from the front and gut their prey with their rear feet.

What I see several of us trying to say is that the motives and methods are quite a bit different between wolves and dogs. Further that if you set the game up by staging a fight or contest with outside influence on the surroundings some of us believe the results can be predicted with near cetainty. So do the wolves. They call it hunting.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry I am having a runaway computer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you walk your dog in the woods? Unarmed?

Good luck with that...

DN

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I find it amusing about all the macho dogs that are supposed to be wolf killers. I live in Montana where there are real wolves and wolf hybrids.

One of these wolf owners left a wolf unattended in the back of his truck while in at a bar enjoying a beverage. Another bar patron asked if there was someone in the bar that owned a wolf. The proud wolf owner spoke up claiming the ownership of said wolf.

The other patron said how he was sorry that his dog had killed the wolf. The shocked wolf owner asked what kind of a dog the other guy had. He told him his dog was a Chihuahua. The question was asked "how could your Chihuahua kill my wolf"? Answer: He choked on him!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 15 of 25 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1badf350, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 18,521 guests, and 1,244 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,963
Posts18,539,741
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.