Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Well Last time I hunted Moose used Nosler Partition with great success. Got a moose hunt scheduled this fall keep in mind there is lots of bears in this area including Grizzly. I was leaning toward trying the Barnes TSX this time after reading some posts on the Internet.

After do some reading I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts on the matter. Gun will be either a 300 WBY or a 300 RUM After reading article I will link to what are you thoughts on the matter. Now kind of considering Nosler Accubonds. Article on Testing It appears my link is censored when I click. Is that Thru my IP or this Forum, its a NRA publication. I'm doing something wrong here?

Last edited by JungleJim; 02/29/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why mess with sucess..Stick with what worked before..The Nosler.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Concur, if the Nosler worked stick with it. The TSX is also a great bullet, but the Accubomb at RUM velocities? fuggetboutit! jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Link doesn't work for me..........

TSX & Partition have worked fine for me on moose & elk; why even consider the AB with those two available.

But I've never killed anything with the AB though.

Here's another bullet test:

Bullet Test

Compared to the TSX, Partition, A-Frame & TBBC, the AB doesn't look so good to me, especially for a moose sized critter.

Reports from some pards who have used it on game don't exactly give it high marks either.

MM

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Link doesn't work for me..........

TSX & Partition have worked fine for me on moose & elk; why even consider the AB with those two available.

But I've never killed anything with the AB though.

Here's another bullet test:

Bullet Test

Compared to the TSX, Partition, A-Frame & TBBC, the AB doesn't look so good to me, especially for a moose sized critter.

Reports from some pards who have used it on game don't exactly give it high marks either.

MM

Thanks for the link, It appears my link is censored when I click. I've tried fixing it 4 times Is that Thru my IP or this Forum? Its a NRA publication. I'm doing something wrong here?

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I vote for the Barnes.......but then again I'm a Barnes slut.

N
NFG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I just tried it...Very good article...should sell lots of bullets.

Try this link
http://www.huntingmag.com/guns_loads/HMbul_0905/index1.html.

If no success then copy/paste this link into your browser,that should work, or goto Petersons Hunting mag online.

Always big whines over bullets not matter how good they are nowdays...either over penetration or blowing up...its a wonder anyone ever collects anything larger than a mouse.

If you hit the aminal where you are supposed to, within a reasonable range, with a large enough caliber you should be eating moose steaks without any problems. Christ, I know a long dead old hunter that used an open sighted Savage 99 levergun in 250-3000 with 100 gr bullets to take everything in North America, moose, elk, deer, bear and anything that was bothering his chickens. He never had any trouble getting the job done. Never over 100 yards and most much closer, one round...done. Now days it seems you need some kind of MonsterMagnum for ground squirrels. Go figure.

'Njoy

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Had my wifes cousin a few years ago wack a Moose with his .300 win mag shooting 150 grain TSX's..........dropped like somebody yanked the rug from under him.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't taken game with all of these bullets - only the partition. I've only horse'd around with them at the range and read comments here.

Even though the difference between these premium bullets may be splitting hairs, wouldn't you select -
the TSX for its devastating effects
the partition because it does everything well
the accubond for accuracy at longer distances

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tom264
Had my wifes cousin a few years ago wack a Moose with his .300 win mag shooting 150 grain TSX's..........dropped like somebody yanked the rug from under him.

Samething happens with 150 gr Win Power Points.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
alamosa
We are talking minute of moose... How could a slight improvement in accuracy make any difference? I think the accuracy edge goes to the TSX anyway.

The TSX is devastating and if it is directed in the right place it is fast.
The NP is a bullet I have shot a lot with and no longer like because too many have stayed in the animal. I insist on two holes.
The accubonds I have seen recovered (The percentage of these is FAR too high) show signs of traveling sideways, even tumbling by most definitions. I will not give them a chance.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In those cartridges I would vote for the Partitions or TSX as well. Nosler gives a max velocity of 3100 fps for the Accubond to work well.

Gerry.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
alamosa
We are talking minute of moose... How could a slight improvement in accuracy make any difference? ...

Well .. ya, when you put it that way.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I have shot moose with both the Nosler Partition and the TSX. I have also used the TBBC. All have worked well. I have been with friends who shot moose with the Nosler Accubond, and it worked equally well. I don't think you will go too far wrong with any of the bullets you named, and any of a number of other premium bullets we have available today. We are living in a great time when you consider the quality of bullets available for hunting today.

Where did you say we are going? And why are we in this handbasket?
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A work friend , last year did a river float, and shot 3 moose with a 303 Brit, 180gr core loks. Time and place-ment are very important.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Nosler Partition was invented for moose hunting, literally.

KC

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I've shot moose with all 3 bullets mentioned and they all worked. Shots with Accubonds and TSX were with .300 WM under 40 yards, shots with Partitions have ranged from 50 to 250 yards with .270, 3006, and 300WM. I've killed 6 animals with Accubonds and they worked fine except I was recovering too many bullets for my liking. I have started shooting TSX in the last year and that is what I would choose.

JD

[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'll be using the TSX for my moose/elk combo hunt this year. The 225 gr'r in my 35 Whelen.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I took my Newfoundland moose with a 225gr TSX out of my .338WM last year. The first one went through and the second one was a frontal neck shot that we recovered under the hide on the far side. Expansion was right out of a Barnes advertisement. The bull went about twenty yards.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1936M71, 160user, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,430 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,173
Posts18,484,607
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.