M
map Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by NH Hunter

Map,

I haven't bothered to read this entire thread, however, as I read your initial posts on this thread you stated that your Alaskan guide required you to have a 0 degree synthetic bag.

If you are asking why you can't buy a down bag as your typical usage would permit this - that's up to you and your guide. I'd say he's very concerned about your bag getting wet and you losing the effectiveness of your survival gear. Talk with your guide and ask if a waterproof stuff sack for a down bag would put him at ease - if not, buy a synthetic.

Keep in mind that each bag's ratings are up to the manufacturer and that everyone sleeps differently. I have a 15 degree bag and have slept down to 20 degree's in just a tee shirt, boxers and socks and slept well - others may have froze their azz off in the same bag wearing long underoos.

I did a quick search on the Mountain Gear website that MAY be suitable for your request.
http://www.mountaingear.com/pages/product/Search_Results_Endeca_New.asp?N=1004&Ne=76&Nr=AND%28649%29&Nu=p%5Frollup&Ns=p%5Fpopular%7C0%7C%7Cp%5Fname%7C0&Ntk=s%5Fsearch

Here's REI's cold bag synthetic search.
http://www.rei.com/Search.do?cm_re=toc*1M*cold_weather&origin=sleeping+bags&cat=4500654&hist=cm_re%2Ctoc*1M*cold_weather%5Eorigin%2Csleeping+bags%5Ecat%2C4500040%5Estart%5Ecat%2C4500654%3ASynthetic

This is a tool on the Backpacker website. See the left and put in your criteria.
http://www.backpacker.com/gear/gear_finder/gear_finder_results/?type=sleepingbags&x=12&y=13

Search through these and read their reviews - hopefully it will help you in your search.

Keep in mind, sometimes the search function is helpful here too...

Good luck in your decision. Enjoy your hunt and trip.

NH Hunter

thanks
I will check the link's out
map

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I think its funny as chit how uptight you guys get over Wiggy's and Marc T and the Head of Wiggy's guy.

For the record, I'm hardly uptight uptight about it. I find a ton of humor in it, too.

I never lose sleep over this stuff; I just keep my position.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by map
Chawn,
I see you have alot of tact and self estien, It's people like you
that keep getting off topic with personal problems with others
I can see I have wasted what time it took to make 28 post I probaly not as sensitve as you think I just ask a simple question
and got a whole bunch of bullchit that I didn't ask for, maybe thats what comes with he territory here. So the best I can tell
the problem with most lyes with either with the salesman or the
co owner instead the product. Any one that has 1389 post probaly don,t have any experince because the sit in front of the ole computer all day.
so dont attack me I havent attacked anyone until now.gfo
yours very truly
map

Yes Map, I have a lot of self estien smile If you want a thread to go your way, you might benefit by saying so in the first place. You would also do yourself a world of good by pressing that search button once in awhile. Do you want to learn about this stuff, or have it spoonfed to you?

Odd that you whine about the tone of the thread and think nothing about the attitudes of the sales team. I think you're a plant.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Maybe the owner named his bags appropriately - folks seem to get all wiggy about 'em! grin

Stay cool and no wigging out! Lols!

MtnHtr

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Heck, I thought there was a ton of good information on this thread and it was a veritable tea-and-crumpets affair given the usual level of napalm that occurs when the name "Wiggy's" appears in the heading.

Now, Map, this is not the drive up window at Bags-R-Us. The good folks here will try to answer questions, but there's going to be a bit of fat chewing along the way. As CCH aptly noted, if you don't mind a bit of palaverin', you can learn a great deal around the campfire... but as you can see from our neighbor to the north, Kute, a griz comin' out of hibernation can be a teensy bit on the grumpy side. smile

We can't read your mind, Map. I don't know if you are looking for good, good enough, great, or the best money can buy. I don't know if you are slight or wide, a restless sleeper or still as a stone, comfortable in a snug mummy or inclined to a loose fit, a human furnace or cold as a smelt, fussy or forgiving. I don't know if you like an overbag, a bivvy or a tent or some combination thereof. Giving advice on bags is like giving advice on boots, dogs, guns or women. A heckuva lots boils down to personal preference.

I think it's safe to say that Wiggy's is generally considered a competent, synthetic bag though a bit heavy compared to top drawer rigs. I think Integral Designs makes a darn fine synthetic. I like my Big Agnes for the room, the fit and because I flop like a Eastern Brook in my sleep... and the BA keeps me on the pad. I haven't used North Face since I was a pup. I know guys who are happy in Mountain Hardware. As noted earlier in this thread, it's nice to try before you buy. The zipper is the only moving part and God knows it can be a pain right in the backside. I'm particular about zippers.

At the end of the day, Map, you're the one sleeping in the bag. You're the one living with your decisions. I would ask you be patient with us gear hounds as we are easily distracted by shiny objects and threadbare arguments. And whatever you decide, it will be a wiser decision having indulged our propensity to wander a bit away from the trail.

Hunting success is 90 percent hunter, 10 percent weapon.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nice reply Hampstead.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
appears everything map asked for is covered in the first two pages.

that anyone chooses to stick around and watch or participate in the train wreck that always seems to occur on this subject is on them.

but I'll second Glacier John and say well said Hampstead.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Thank you, John (and 1ak). Now if we can just convince these energetic gentlemen to not play whack-a-mole with the other fella's John Thomas', we can have Kute put on a pot of decaf black tea while I put some huckleberry scones in the oven. Then, by the grace of God, we can fritter away our time like civilized folks. smile

By the way, I remember Bigfork from the days before the world found it.

Last edited by Hampstead; 03/06/08.

M
map Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Hampstead
Iam new to the post and reply world, more than likely I asked the question wrong. I will rephrase it in a new thread Iam not
mad, just more confused than before I ask. I should probaly go and just buy a bag and quit beating around the bush.I just thought
if I ask for some advice I might get some help, now some replys
has been helpful but the most have been dramatic.
thanks
map

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
map, I've owned about 6 Wiggy bags. My opinion of them is my own. I have lots of other bags, too. Just like you, I read my eyes out, and still had to buy a dozen bags to find the right match for me.

Somethings you can't simply read your way to a solution. I'd hazard a guess that bags, boots, and rifles all fit that reality.

I'd buy one and get started, provided a rock-solid return policy.

M
map Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Originally Posted by stillhunter73
Originally Posted by map
Chawn,
I see you have alot of tact and self estien, It's people like you
that keep getting off topic with personal problems with others
I can see I have wasted what time it took to make 28 post I probaly not as sensitve as you think I just ask a simple question
and got a whole bunch of bullchit that I didn't ask for, maybe thats what comes with he territory here. So the best I can tell
the problem with most lyes with either with the salesman or the
co owner instead the product. Any one that has 1389 post probaly don,t have any experince because the sit in front of the ole computer all day.
so dont attack me I havent attacked anyone until now.gfo
yours very truly
map

Yes Map, I have a lot of self estien smile If you want a thread to go your way, you might benefit by saying so in the first place. You would also do yourself a world of good by pressing that search button once in awhile. Do you want to learn about this stuff, or have it spoonfed to you?

Odd that you whine about the tone of the thread and think nothing about the attitudes of the sales team. I think you're a plant.

I don't want to whine about the post but I guess I have sorry
for that but every time I reply or ask all I get is how sorry
the owner or the salesman was now I see where you stand so quit
grandstanding on my post about it if you have a problem pm them.
far as the sale team or me being a plant I could give a "flying [bleep] less" all Iam interested in is the product not a bunch of drama.So again gfo.
map

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Chawn I think you have to add binoculars to your list of 'really have to try it yourself' products.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by map

far as the sale team or me being a plant I could give a "flying [bleep] less" all Iam interested in is the product not a bunch of drama.So again gfo.
map

Clever. I read this whole thread again and fail to see how I punched your girly-hole so hard, but oh well....

Seems the Sales Gimmick works pretty good on you. Spend away, friend!

Ditto, GFO.

Last edited by stillhunter73; 03/06/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John, the optics wars are beyond comprehension smile

I had a pair of Leica 7x42's and couldn't believe the clarity. Still, I suspect I could spot game with far less. ...And still, I'm aiming for Leica 8x32's.

I'm not smart; just stubborn laugh

M
map Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Chawn, You just don't get it.
I ask about a product not a person or a company thats what
Iam getting at. I have seen no sales gimmick, praise or failure
no one has swayed me to make a decision. Sorry if I chaped your
pee flaps.
so again GFO
map

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
All we really need at this point to wrap this thread up is the picture of JW in the fishnets frown.

Map, I was in a similar place a couple years back. I was about to pull the trigger on a Wiggy's bag when a similar thread erupted over at Kifaru. The owner of Wiggy's was so out of line, not only in tearing into anyone who would not acknowledge that his bags were flawless and better than anything God could come up with, but also in his underhanded antics on that site (he was so bad that he was actually banned and then he signed back up under another username which was banned a second time) I went with a Big Agnes because of that alone. I realize that you don't like that Chawn has issues with MT or JW, but from my observations, I'd at least consider it.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Map, I am most humbly sorry that I posted on your thread and gave my opinions, I shall not bother again.

Chawn TRIED to assist you, so did I and a number of others, but, something smells odd here and I should have known better.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
John makes a good point. What I hope you understand, Map, is that serious outdoorsman can be circumspect in giving advice about gear and such. I'm not going to put myself in that elite company, but those fellas who spend serious time in the toolies using and busting all manner of gear often come to understand that what works for them may not work for everyone. Like with boots, optics or wives, success is about 90 percent "fit." And, Map, we all have a different shape. Sheer modesty prevents me from any further comment. smile

Up in the twigs, your life may depend on your gear. While this may sound strange, some of success or failure depends on your confidence in your kit. A sleeping bag you trust is warmer and drier. A rifle you trust shoots straighter. A woman you trust gets prettier every year.

You don't build trust in gear getting opinions on a Internet forum. Like all faith, it is built from within. While I pale in comparison to some of these bushmen, I have gear I know and trust. It's a trial and error process... every error is a trial. We want you to pick something, make it work and feel a little smarter than the rest of us. smile Your confidence may save your life someday... and it may save ours. We may be the ones humping the brush trying to find you.

As for this little "GFO" nonsense, Chawn and Map, we are civilized men here and we understand the need for civility. We're not high school girls text messaging a language made entirely of consonants. We are not drunks dropping "f" bombs like peanut shells on a bar floor. We are outdoorsman. We are civil when we pass on the trail and when sit around the campfire because the wilderness is God's true cathedral. We are also practical men and understand that the other guy, no matter how silly he may seem at a given moment, may be pulling our bacon out of the fire someday. We are civilized because we believe a passion for the wild places makes us better men.

Now, Chawn and Map, I will beg your forgiveness. You are grown men and I have prattled on like a father talking to his quarelling sons. I have overstepped my bounds and I apologize. Now, if you can forgive me, perhaps you can forgive one another and we can move on to a more congenial topic... like blondes versus brunettes versus redheads. smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by stillhunter73

Somethings you can't simply read your way to a solution. I'd hazard a guess that bags, boots, and rifles all fit that reality.

Hey, you left out packs! wink

MtnHtr

Bullpacs rock!

Page 13 of 22 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1minute, 1234, 70 invisible), 2,112 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.