-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thought I'd share one last thing about my recent Uberti purchase. Don't get me wrong, I still like it, it still shoots point of aim... but here's the thing... I JUST bought it. Granted, I've put around 400 rounds or so through it, but jeez - the "finish" on the backstrap is coming off at an alarming rate. Also, the loading gate is now loose. These are esthetic grievances and do not effect the operation of the firearm, but it still bugs me.

On a lighter note, I can't seem to shake the cowboy bug. I recently picked up a used IAC side by side 12 ga., AND I've put down some money on a Vaquero. Soon I'll be 3/4 of the way towards my CAS armory.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The loading gate is tightened through the frame under the trigger guard plate. The finish issue is kinda strange, my one 1890 Remington Police by Uberti is still hanging in after a couple thousand rounds.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yo T, can you walk me through the process of tightening the loading gate? And thanks again for all the timely insights you've shared with me.

smile

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." - Jeff Cooper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
First you have to remove the rear of the grip frame, 1 screw at the toe and two behind the recoil sheild, the grips should come off with this part. Then the screw at the bottom of the hammer spring, now the three screws on the bottom of the trigger guard ( the front one is different from the back two), now you are to it, there is a set screw to the right of the trigger, that is what holds the loading gate in. This is an Uberti 1890 Police so the grip frame is different but not the internals.

[Linked Image]
Your frame will look like this C&B one.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys have been so great. I just can't say enough about 24 hour campfire in general, and the gentleman of this forum in particular.

So I brought home a stainless 5.5" New Vaquero in .357. I put about 75 rounds though it so far. The feel and quality between it and my Stoeger Uberti Cattleman .357 are worlds apart - the action, the finish, the percieved recoil when shooting magnum loads; all of these attributes seem superior on the American made Ruger. The price differential between the two? about $60-$70 before taxes and fees. I'll have to spend that much on an action job and springs just to get the Uberti up to Ruger's out-of-the box slickness!

I'm 3/4 of the way to having all the iron I'd need for CAS (two wheel guns and a SxS 12 ga.), but I currently have my eye on an EMF Rossi 92 (in .357). With any luck, I'll have that by the end of the summer. Yee haw!

Last edited by Ivan; 06/02/08.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had great luck with the Uberti's. As a correcton to something said earlier. Uberti makes the guns for Beretta, not the other way around. Beretta does not make (but they sell) reproduction Colt's. A few years back, Beretta bought Uberti (and anyone else they could get their hands on), and shortly afterward they started offering SAA reproductions.

I've had a few Uberti's and the one I have now, I've managed to just about wear out. It's a great gun, but something I have found with Uberti's is that it's not uncommon to break a cylinder hand. My Uberti has a broken hand at this moment. The fix is cheap and very easy to fix, but still, it might be a good idea to have an extra cylinder hand on hand (that's a lot of hands).

For a single action revolver, I think the new Vaquero's are very hard to beat. If shooting Cowboy, I'd pick up a polished stainless, so when you sight it in and file the front sight, it's easy to cover up the filing marks.

The new Taurus's are nearly as good, but as already mentioned, they're drying up.

Uberti is getting beat at their own game, but I still love my Uberti. Sure, it's broken right now, but It's had a hard, hard life and for the most part, hasn't complained.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
For a single action revolver, I think the new Vaquero's are very hard to beat. If shooting Cowboy, I'd pick up a polished stainless, so when you sight it in and file the front sight, it's easy to cover up the filing marks.

I did, in fact, pick up a stainless New Vaquero - it shoots great and will require no filing! smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by T LEE
First you have to remove the rear of the grip frame, 1 screw at the toe and two behind the recoil sheild, the grips should come off with this part. Then the screw at the bottom of the hammer spring, now the three screws on the bottom of the trigger guard ( the front one is different from the back two), now you are to it, there is a set screw to the right of the trigger, that is what holds the loading gate in. This is an Uberti 1890 Police so the grip frame is different but not the internals.

yo T - I never did thank you for showing me how to tighten that loading gate - she's all better now - thanks!

Last edited by Ivan; 06/25/08.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No thing man, just glad I could help.

Old cat turd!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

333 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 260Remguy, 42 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,860
Posts18,478,571
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.