-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't worry much about quick loading, but if drawing down on big game in a hurry up mode, I stick a couple rounds between my fingers. Most of our hunting is spot and stalk and we typically blind side the critters. I those cases I simply sit one or two cartridges on what ever I might be using for a rest (rock, stump, packed snow bank, or the back pack). 1Minute

1Minute
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use two different methods which both work pretty well for me. One is the cartridge (or two) between the fingers of the hand on the fore end. On heavier kickers, that may not always be comfortable though. I actually prefer an open zipperless, flapless, deep pocket close to the waist on my trigger side hand. It has actually been very easy for me to reload any rifle from that when I wear a coat.

[Linked Image]

This is a Ruger #1 animal killed with the second shot. The first shot -at 246 yards- had her confused so she ran in a circle. I reached into my pocket and loaded a second round and made a flat-out running shot in about the same time I would have had a second round ready in a bolt gun.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 03/22/08. Reason: redundancy correction

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Klitarik,
Nice boo! grin
What caliber did you use?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thank you! Not a big bear but pretty, and very special with the young fellow along - quite some distance away! The rifle was a 45-70 #1-S and shooting the 350 North Fork - last rib on the near side, scapula on the far side, and it was instant lights out.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
T/C now offers probably the best ammo carrier I have seen. It is an elastic sleeve that holds two parallel with the barrel and slide over the barre & forend right to the action almost. It is very convenient and fast for reloading.

I have yet to reload my Encore in 30 dead critters. One shot, one dead animal.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I keep a follow-up reload between my index and middle fingers, tucked in tight at the joint. They stay there surprisingly well until needed to refill the tube. Works nicely for pistola's as much as my Handi Rifle's.

Another thing some of us have found to be useful is to cut the elastic buttstock cartridge carriers in half, sew up the loose sides to keep from fraying, then slide the 1/2 carrier over the wrist. Hold 3 or 4 rounds at the ready.

Let's rob this train, Jesse.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Honestly, I wouldn't hunt dangerous game with a single - period."

No guts, no glory. eek grin
I think I would if I could afford to go where there is some dangerous game. I wouldn't worry too awfully much about having to take a fast second shot either. I have been hunting with Ruger #1s since 1975 and a fast second shot isn't all that hard to do with practice.
On page 22 of the January-February #43 issue of RIFLE Magazine, there is an excellent article by Al Miller or rapid reloading the single shot rifle. A darn good read for anyone who plans to seriously hunt with a single loader.
Some people seem to have trouble with the fired case hanging up on the safety button. There's an easy fix. Tilt the rifle slightly to the right as you drop the lever to extract the round as the rifle rises in recoil. The fired case dropps out every time, regardless if the rifle is a .22 Hornet ot the .416 Rigby. (I have both and 19 others in various calibers.)
I've tried the holding the extra loads between the fingers bit and that works OK if you only have to do that for a minute or two. It gets old real quick, especially if it's real cold. I don't care for the wrist holders, nor for the ones on my belt. The wrist jobs just feel awkward to me and try to get another round out from a belt holder when shooting from a sitting position. Lots of luck. Cartridge holders at pocket level on a shirt is OK but my preference is for the butt cuff holder. The weight change in balance is only very slightly noticed on the #1A, but on the "B" and "S" models, the extra forward weight of the 26" barrel negates the difference added by the butt cuff.
As Al Miller states in his article. a practice singe shot shooter can get off AIMED shots about as fast as the average bolt action shooer with emphasis on the word "aimed". A practiced high power shoort of course would outshoot the single shot shooter by a large margin. Part of my rapid loading technique comes from Mr. Miller's article and is modified by what I found out worked for me. YMMV.
As the rifle rises in recoil, I twist the rifle slightly to the right as I work the lever. Then, my left hand slides to the receiver and my left thumb covers the breech. At that point my right hand slides back along the stock to where I can pull a round from the butt cuff whic I then slide toward the breech. As the point of the round touches my thumb, the thumb slips out of the way allowing the rifle which has the muzzle tilted downward to allow the fresh round to slide into the chamber. As the left hand moves back to the forearm, the right hand closes the lever in preperation for the next shot should it be necessary.
OK, I know that this sound complicated as all get out but with about 5 minutes of practice every day, it becomes second nature and is quite fast. The trick is to start out slowly and make each move in a deliberate pattern until your mind and body have it perfectly patterned. It's kind of like learning to do fast draw and hitting a target. You will be slow at first, but speed comes with practice.
One important thing though, you cartridges must be full length resized or on brand new brass that you have run through the rifle. The loaded cartridges can safely be run through a Ruger #1 rifle with the safety on, but I would still recommend doing that with a safe backstop on hand. After all, a safety catch is a mechanical device that can fail at any time. The important hing is the round MUST drop all the way into the chamber. If you have to nudge it with your finger to finish the chambering, then the ammo is not proper for the hunt.
Second, you must practice the moves so that you can do it without looking at the rifle. you must keep you eye on your game, otherwise it might not be where you think it is and you either lose time getting the shot trying to locate it or lose sight of the animal entirely. On dangerous game, that could be disasterous as hell.
One thing Mr. Miller said was, a good shot will never be handicapped by using a single shot rifle. A poor shot will still be a poor shot, no matter what he shoots.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

666 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 02bfishn, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,752 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,725
Posts18,475,871
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.