Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
kpyoung Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
K
I had a Nikon 3x9x50 rifle scope fog up on me on the second day of a very wet Alaska POW bear hunt. I have sent it back for repair or replacement. I am planning a trip in November to Oregon and I know for sure the weather is going to be wet and miserable. Just wondering, would you trust a repaired scope on a trip like this?

I had hunted with this scope for several years here in Alabama (sometimes in poor conditions) and never had a problem, two days in Alaska killed it.

Last edited by kpyoung; 03/25/08.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
kp,

I have had two scopes repaired and returned to use (one Leup. and one Kahles -- both for physical damage from hard handling). You can always do the wet and freeze test yourself at home and check for problems before you go hunting.

I would say your scope was done in by its history, not jus two days of AK. wink

jim

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Never underestimate just how tough this coastal rainforest can be on stuff.

I'd not run that scope on another wetcoast hunt.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
+1

I wish that I could get away using cheaper scopes, but it just doesn't work that way.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Steelhead & Calvin,

A chance to learn something then. wink

I only have one scope's worth of experience with Nikon scopes (a Monarch Gold). Do you guys think that no Nikon scope is up to this chore, or just this model?

My experience is often repaired production items are more reliable than something right off the line.

thanks...jim

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Never underestimate just how tough this coastal rainforest can be on stuff.

I'd not run that scope on another wetcoast hunt.

I could not agree more, I spent 7 years in Alaska and until one has experienced it their is no way that they will understand the strain that Alaska puts on your gear. I saw many scope failures while in AK.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I didn't say I wouldn't run because it was repaired.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Weaver 4X wide-view that I bought used in 1976. I have no idea how old it actually is. It fogged on me during bear season sometime in the mid 80's. I had it repaired by the guy in Texas and it's been on a Savage 358 ever since with no problems.

I think it's a crap shoot. You don't know if or when one will fail, new, used, repaired, doesn't really matter, they're mechanical devices and mechanical devices can go belly up.

Dale

This space for rent

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
If you take that scope, carry a spare.

If you take another scope, carry a spare.

Bruce

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I didn't say I wouldn't run because it was repaired.

Roger, thank you...out.

jim

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I run Leupold, and Leupold only for just that reason. Never had one go south on me. Can't say the same about other brands...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Leupold 4x that was made in the 60's. It fogged in about 71. It has never had another issue since coming back from Leupold...So, yes, I would trust a repair, just not many manufacturers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

+1 Take a spare

Rob

Last edited by BrocksDad; 03/26/08.

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
There is NO scope brand that won't fail you at some point... Take a backup regardless if you are using the supposed perfect Leupys or any other. Be prepared.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
sgt217 - That's been my experience with Leupold too! I also won't ignore the advice given here by guys who live and hunt in the wetcoast..

Speak softly and use a big bore...
Where's El Cid when we need him...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have sent 2 Burris' units back...both bit the dust...thank goodness it was at the range..Was once a Burris faithful, but those days and scope numbers are dwindling.

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have had several Leupold scopes repaired & installed on magnum cal. riles w/o any problem I suspect a repaired scope from a major brand may be better than an off the shelf new one.
I wouldn't thing about going on a hunt with one rifle & not having a spare. I use Warren removable rings & have the 2nd. scope zeroed with rings. I have had Leupold's fail on hunts that cost me a trophy. I subject a scope to a lot of punishment riding on an ATV, commercial & bush flights, boats, & perhaps the worst of all horses/mules. Damn horses/mules could break an anvil when they decide to go rank. I also use a lot of magnum rifles so I'm not knocking Leupold.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
sgt217 - That's been my experience with Leupold too! I also won't ignore the advice given here by guys who live and hunt in the wetcoast..

That scope failed while on the Gifford Pinchot NF in Washington. Got a little experience out there too. Rost, never said they were perfect but they suit my needs better than most. YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bcp

Bruce

Now we're talking....
From my experience guiding in the NWT, this is the only way to go.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Any new scope should be tested for leaks. It's real simple. Heat water on a stove to 140 degrees, then submerge the scope. If it leaks after the first few minutes, it will fog, sooner or later. Don't get excited if a bubble or three escapes from it, give it a minute. But if it leaks a stream of bubbles, send it back.
Same thing for recoil ressitance. Shoot the rifle at least 40 rds. 60 maybe better. If it's going to fail, it will there.
Like others, carry a spare or another rifle.
Alaska is tough on scopes probably because most send their rifles there by air. Traveling in unpressurized compartments, the rifle gets it's dry air sucked out of it. When you land, it sucks in moist air. Then all it has to do is get cold for it to fog. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 17Hunter, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 17,941 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,959
Posts18,539,612
Members74,052
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.