Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Was looking to get some knee high rubber boots for hunting. I know a lot of guides wear the Xtratufs and I beleive they are made in the U.S. In other parts of the country guys like Lacrosse but I've heard they have druability issues since moving production to China. Are Xtratufs good, durable boots? ANy other recommendations?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might look at Muck boots. I've got a pair I've been wearing every weekend for the last 3 years. Usually go for a 2-3 mile hike every Sat. and Sun. rain or shine. I live in Oregon, so it's not as cold, but is plenty wet.
These boots seem to be holding up good.
Virgil B.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wear the x-tra tuff's for moose hunting. Of course they don't breate but ya just live with it. The trick to wearing them all day is to get them big enough to put an insulated insert in the bottom (not the full size liner). Then put a good quality arch support on that. I use arch supports by Danner. You can wear them all day in relative comfort this way. Since we're in the bush for the entire moose season (about 3 weeks), take a tube of "Goop" with you. Should you get a hole in one, it'll repair it. That's what we do. Hope this helps. Later, Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The nice things about X-tra tuffs, is they also come in an insulated model.

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The felt insoles are a must!! I purchased a pair recently for may self at work. I had them in the office and everyone was making fun of the ugly boots until they put them on... now the everyone has a pair. the regular x-tra tuffs are not super warm, but nothing a havy pair of smart wool socks cant take care of. One nice thing is that they say soft and flexable when cold- the cheap $10 pr "barn boots become stiff and pinch when cold.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've heard some good comments about Muck, but never really tried them.

I love my xtratuffs and wear them more than anything else, save my redwing romeos.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
the bigger size trick sure works.. been doin' it for years... felt insole under a quality insole with arch support makes em' feel like sneakers and keep your feet warm.... i have lacrosses but haven't bought a pair in years.... have to many to wear out...

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
When
Originally Posted by woofer
the bigger size trick sure works.. been doin' it for years... felt insole under a quality insole with arch support makes em' feel like sneakers and keep your feet warm.... i have lacrosses but haven't bought a pair in years.... have to many to wear out...

woofer

When you guys say bigger pairs....how much extra room in the toes is there? Doesn't it become uncomfortable to have a lot of extra room in the front of the boot?

Last edited by elelbean; 04/13/08.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I went to xtratuf's website and they have no online retailers and the nearest retailer to me is 150+ miles away.
Where do y'all buy your boots?

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B and J commercial in Anchorage.

M

My Next Husband Will Be Normal- T. Shirt
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You can buy them online at Tongass Trading in Ketchikan. www.tongasstrading.com I buy mine at Murray Pacific (www.murraypacific.com/ketchikan), but their website is a little more complicated to order from.

Xtratufs are the real deal. Everything else is an imitation.

You can buy them with corks, too...

DN

Last edited by muledeer; 04/13/08.

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've got a set of the La Crosse Alpha Burly's - my first and last pair. It didn't take six months for the rubber coating to develop tears in the ankle and leak. I plan to pick up a set of Muck boots to replace them.

I've got a set of uninsulated Xtra Tuffs I wear on the boat. I've had them for four years, and they've seen hard use. They are still comfortable and water tight.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Sweeney's in Soldotna are selling "seconds" (I can't tell the difference! Maybe they are a little off-color, is all) for about $50/pr.

Ditto on the felt insoles and arch-supports.

Mike will likely ship you a pair at cost plus postage.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have two pairs of Xtr-tuffs... one is from 1980 and the second is from 1994. Both are still perfect, no leaks, no rips and no tears... I have spent a lot of time in them!

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't know how they'd perform in Alaska but I swear by my Muck boots for working in the nasty stuff around the farm. You don't need any extra insoles because the neoprene is really comfortable. The only pair I had that leaked was stepped on by a 700 lbs bull calf and the foot slid off and cut the boot (I've had it happen to leather boots too). I also haven't had any problem with them getting sucked off my feet either. They are plenty warm (probably too much in the summer).

"Wise men talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something." Plato
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I love my "Mucks" !

Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.
E
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
I've got a set of the La Crosse Alpha Burly's - my first and last pair. It didn't take six months for the rubber coating to develop tears in the ankle and leak. I plan to pick up a set of Muck boots to replace them.

I've got a set of uninsulated Xtra Tuffs I wear on the boat. I've had them for four years, and they've seen hard use. They are still comfortable and water tight.

This is what I'm afraid of. $100 bucks for a pair of boots is a lot of money when they develop leaks within a year of use. I'm afraid of muck boots because they don't have full rubber protection like the Xtratufs

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if you want wear Xtratuff seems to be more than just the name, you see a lot of old ones around.

Kind of like Toyota p/u's and Subie station wagons, they may not be pretty, but they last, pretty much the same can be said for Xtra tuffs ime.

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here in Alaska's SE rain forest it is XtraTuff all the way! You see people in Mucks and Lacross but they don't stay on their feet too long in more ways than one. step out of a boat onto a slick dock and tell me which works best. Nothing even comes CLOSE to the traction of a Tuff!

L
las Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
L
In re-reading, I was not clear- these are Xtra-tuff "seconds" Sweeney is selling. The pair I bought 4 or 5 years ago is doing fine...

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.