-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I would LIKE there to be a Bigfoot out there; I think it's neat.

I've seen 3 bears now. Lots of bear sign. A fair amount of cougar sign including tracks in the snow.

I dunno... like I said, I hope BF does exist. I just doubt it. The world has shrunk a LOT since the heydey of the BF craze... the woods have shrunk... I just don't see where a breeding population could exist?

And hell NO, I wouldn't shoot one! Why in heck would I? NOr would I shoot a gorilla or any number of other critters.

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i don't know if there still is but i would like to think there once was, in my mind a north american primate seems reasonable.

�The constitution of the United States asserts that all power is inherent in the people, that they may exercise it by themselves, that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed!� � Thomas Jefferson
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Dude- If there were any bigfoots out there, something would have turned up by now other than footprints and noises. There aren't even any DNA samples known. I have seen dozen and dozens of bears in the woods if not a hundred. I have seen more than 20 Mt. lions in the wild. There have got to be hundreds of guys like me that have done the same thing in the Pacific Northwest who would have found a bigfoot either dead, or asleep or something. Use a little common sense here. I think there are some real pranksters who just want to keep the myth alive!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Are they Bigfoots, or Bigfeet?

Enquiring minds would like to know.

:-)

(I am in general agreement with you dennisinaz)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

-jeff

The politically correct term is "Big People" or "Big Primates"
depending on your beliefs.

Last edited by KCBighorn; 04/13/08.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Maybe they have only one foot that is actually big, the other one sizing normally ....

I'm sure they exist, I saw one of them in a movie grin

Va t'in tch�re !
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
......How about the swamp Ape in the Florida Everglades? Google it up for video of one crossing thru a sawglass glade..

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Arent't there just some big, hairy, apelike people down there in the Everglades?

I'm just sayin'...

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought "big foot" was a rocky mountains story ?

I've tried 'swamp ape' in google and found a very impressive video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1p0cWEuJBag&feature=related

Last edited by grand_veneur; 04/14/08.

Va t'in tch�re !
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

:-)

(I am in general agreement with you dennisinaz)

-jeff

I dunno? Maybe Sasquatches or Sasquatchi??

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There is the sasquatch , skunk ape or swamp ape, Yeti, etc..

On the History channel they have the show MonsterQuest. Last one I watched, they were looking for the "Beast Of Bray road" a werewolf creature witnessed by over 100 people in Wisconsin.

Interesting stuff.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Anything about the nuttons of the Bulge ? wink

Va t'in tch�re !
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Since all animals except primates and man synthesize vitamin C from their food, it is likely that any large primate will be found close to a year round source of the vitamin. They also need a large enough area to roam, breed and hide. The last known area where that would be possible was the Tootle Creek drainage near Mt St Helens. The area was devastated by the volcanic eruption. Large primates like gorillas have a shrinking territory because of the necessity for year round vitamin c.
There are many highly respected people in the Pacific Northwest who have seen the creatures in the past. I am in no position to call these respected members of the community a bunch of liars. But I do believe that these creatures are probably extinct. The habitat has been devastated in the Pacific Northwest from California to Alaska.
There is a remote chance that "extinct" creatures can be found. Witness the Ookrey in Southeast Asia. These stone age wild cattle were discovered recently and their are lots of them. The Ceolecanth [ sp fish] is another example. I would use the same discretion in shooting a large primate that I would use on a human. Keep in mind that when a zoo needs blood for an operation on a gorilla, they use human blood with no problems at all. They are interchangeable at least from human to primate.

Last edited by 106rr; 04/15/08. Reason: Apologize for possible spelling errors

You can't miss fast enough to win!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It keeps coming up that no one has found a dead Bigfoot. Well, not many people have ever found a dead deer or bear either, statistically speaking.

Soooo......Maybe Yetis live primarily on the carcasses of dead deer and bear (explaining the lack of thereof)...And they have an extrodinarily long life span, so not many of them are found dead.

Not saying I believe, just saying...

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And no I wouldn't shoot one.

But I'd have a hard time feeling sorry for the dude who got whacked while walking around the forest during hunting season in a brown furry suit.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The world has shrunk a LOT since the heydey of the BF craze... the woods have shrunk... I just don't see where a breeding population could exist?

Jeff -

I think you miss the mark. You're new to Oregon, first generation, so you don't have that first-hand connection to the history. Parts of my family arrived in the 1840s. Got a lot of hand-me-down info about how people lived to compare to what I see today. While the population is vastly greater, it's centralized. There used to be someone living just about everywhere someone could live, trappers, miners, farmers, loggers eeking out a living. Back in those days, they didn't have rapid, they lived where they worked. Instead of an hour on the interstate by car, they often lived 30 minutes or less from "work" traveling on foot. That put a lot of people in a lot of outlying places, not just for a weekend of recreation twice a year, but 24x7, 52 weeks a year. Point? It would be vastly easier to go unnoticed today than it would have in the period from the 1880s to WW II. Look along the rivers through the coast range. Every flat had someone living on it. Look for old orchards ... apple trees don't plant themselves. Look for stonework ... fences and chimneys. Look for scrap iron.

One of the things I used to do to fight homesickness in college was to head for the campus library's map room and study old maps of home. Compare where there are roads now to the pack trail systems of older times. Lot of my hunting trips still follow the 50 year old blaze lines that used to mark pack routes. Betcha those in turn followed Indian trails which in turn followed game routes. We're not new on the land.

The kinds of places I think Bigfoot would live are not the kinds of places we do most of our commercialized recreation nor the places most people go hunting. If I were Bigfoot, I'd be looking at low to middle elevation remote canyons, places there is year around food I didn't have to fight snow to get at, places off the beaten path farther than the average hunter would walk into, places nobody else has any reason to go at all.

There could be a LOT of them out there and we'd not know the difference. The only time we'd ever see one is if it were moving from "tribe" to "tribe" or out scouting and we stumbled across it crossing a road ... which is kind of what the bulk of the current reports suggests.

I'd like to offer up an idea. You got me hooked on Google Earth. Go look for yellow dots, then read the attached bigfoot reports. Look at the variety of dates and think about how many people were in the woods at time of each, attitudes of society towards 'such nonsense' at the time. I sorta think the rate of reports has been more constant than it seems. Been going on as long as European type folks have been in the PNW and certainly the Native American cultures are riddled with lore.

I'm not sayin' there's anything out there. My point is the logic for deducing that there ISN'T something there is weak.

Tom

PS: Tag! You're it!!

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bigfoot does exist. Eddie Murphy's uncle Gus met a female one on a camping trip. He shaved her down and taught her to speak. Don't you remember Aunt Bunny and her catch phrase "goony goo goo". grin

"I am at heart a meat hunter."
John Barsness, The Life of the Hunt
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
How can I compete with THAT!? grin

Well... I defer to your experience. To ME, it seems that there just are not really such thing as coast range canyons where nobody goes... timber cruiser... hunters... marijuana growers... etc. But, there are whole parts of Oregon I've never been, like the southern Oregon coast range, and perhaps I am wrong about that.

I WANT there to be Bigfeet, buuut.... I'm still betting there's not. Unprovable though. Can't prove a negative!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Its a different perspective. I remember growing up down there we were the newcomers, still not really accepted. We'd only been there 40 years after all. Since I left there have been 2 new generations of self-appointed old-timers show up and among the REAL old timers I'm still an unproven noob. It all depends on where you stand.

You're right ... sort of.

There aren't too many places nobody goes, but there are a lot of places people are only in very very briefly. If you're not even running into those other intermittent users, what's the odds you'll see something with superior senses that is going out of it's way to avoid you?

On top of that, though .. most hunters are fairly serious folks. Unless they have hard evidence, how many will risk their credibility by telling what they saw? And most pot farmers do not want the attention in the area of their patch that's going to come with reporting a sighting. I've heard stories from timber cruisers who were told to keep their mouths shut if they want to keep their jobs .. I don't know why the company cares, but I guess they did.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that a lack of reports does not necessarily reflect a lack of sightings, there could be a moderate frequency of sightings obscured by societal factors.

Here's a list of reports, all from places I've been or been within rock tossing distance of at one time or another.

http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3702
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=5284
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=3820
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=14891
http://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=662

So .. there are reports out there, they just don't always hit major media.

Your point about not being able to prove a negative is spot on. 10,000 proven hoaxes mean nothing the instant someone produces the genuine article. For now, that hasn't happened.

Ever ponder what you'd do if you saw one yourself? I wonder if I'd say anything to anyone or not.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Arent't there just some big, hairy, apelike people down there in the Everglades?

I'm just sayin'...

-jeff

Jeff,
Them's Simpsons, not really much difference. They show up around golf courses and usually draw a crowd. Can't stay out of trouble and kill their own. Makes for a slow re-population.
GeoW

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man."
Thomas Jefferson

GeoW, The "Unwoke" ...Let's go Brandon!

"A Well Regulated Militia" Life Member

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (22250rem, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 1,784 guests, and 1,141 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,104
Posts18,522,429
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.