Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paul
The luster is not the hard part! I did not realize that was the question you were asking. Never attempt to finish with a brush, rag or finger with "finish" on it! Use gloss finishes every time and buff the finish to the desired gloss afterward.

Flattening agents used to reduce gloss are not good for the finish strength. Some are not as bad as others, but none add anything to the finish. Most are huge deficits to the finish.

The good old ways are still best on gloss. Rottenstone on a felt rag with mineral oil for a carrier will produce the ultimate eggshell luster.

Make sure the finish is well-cured before the rub-out. Thirty days in very dry conditions is plenty.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Best stuff I have ever found. Their Marine Spar-Varnish is great stuff, and their tung-oil sealer will penetrate wood like nothing else I've seen. You can mix it up with artists paint and get a really nice deep color.

A bit pricy, but it keeps well and a little goes a long way.

http://www.sutherlandwelles.com/

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Never attempt to finish with a brush, rag or finger with "finish" on it! art

Art, I'm not understanding that line. Do you mean don't try to do a complete final finish that way, but plan to rub it out instead?

I understand all the principles you have stated, but I still have a hard time getting a good rubbed out finish. It always seems to turn out uneven, and with some rub-throughs. Like I said earlier, it's achieving uniformity that gives me fits.

Maybe I'm not getting it thick enough (I do allow plenty of cure time), but if the finish gets too thick it still looks sort of plastic, albeit rubbed out plastic.

Maybe my goal is too lofty, or maybe I'm just an old fumble-fingers.

Not ready to give up, though.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Paul
Correct, the final step in the best finish is a rubdown with rottenstone. If you are finding "rub-throughs" (assuming here that means layers of finish are obvious...) you are getting adhesion problems and creating layers... Add coats sooner and give a quick rubdown with ultrafine Bear-Tex pads if the finish has cured solidly... And above all else rub the finish down more.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Get Gun Savr CP Pro Custom oil hand rubbing gunstock finish clear gloss from brownells if they still sell it. You will not be disappointed it is a lot better than tru oil. Then rub it down lightly with some of brownells super fine grit rubbing compound! I did 2 mousers with it and they turned out great.

IC B2

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (222Sako, 1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.