Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well, it looks like this one has run its course. I just wanted to say a big THANK YOU to all of you that have contributed and continue to contribute. If you are on the fence about the NRA, please consider it. They are our only hope in DC and we wouldn't have any of our rights if they weren't there.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I asked to be put on the "Do Not Promote" list, and after a couple of fits and starts, it's worked well enough to keep me around. I've lapsed a couple of times, but always came back, because there really isn't a good alternative.
"The American Rifleman" has degenerated into a crapfest of press releases, so it's not worth the paper used, to my notions. It usually goes to work with me, so other guys can look at the pretty pictures........
They've dropped the ball mightily on Heller, only coming in after it looked like it was going places, though, and are now claiming credit where none is due, and that pisses me off more than I can politely express here.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many people base their opinion of the NRA of what they read in the anti-gun news papers and hear and see on anti-gun news stations.

Usually the truth about what the NRA did and/or said is much different than what you read about in the newspapers.

Some of the liberals will tell you that an armed NRA member is more dangerous to public safety than a group of terrorists covered explosives. Don't believe it.

For years, I was around hundreds of armed NRA members, shooting two or three hundred shots in a days time. The firarms used ranged to muzzle loaders to what the news media refer to assualt rifles, only usefull for killing. And, my, my, some of the NRA members were even shooting the so called 'cop killer' bullets, endangering the lives of every policmen for miles around, if you listened to the news media.

During my many hours on the rifle and pistol ranges, I never felt that my life was in danger, nor did I feel that the safety and well being of my family, who sometimes accompanied me, was under a threat.

However, there are places where the news media will tell you that the people are under privaledged and mistreated and where killings are an every day thing, thanks to the NRA and those mean old assualt rifles. I will admit that to venture into one of those places is putting your life in danger, but not because of the NRA. Never mind that those murderers and potential murderers are not NRA members.

The people who are anti-NRA need to get their facts straight, and you can bet that the "facts" you read about in the news papers are very different from the true facts, as told by the NRA.

I would feel much safer among several hundred armed NRA members than I would even close to one armed thug, but the news media won't touch on that.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Originally Posted by 1234567
Many people base their opinion of the NRA of what they read in the anti-gun news papers and hear and see on anti-gun news stations.

Usually the truth about what the NRA did and/or said is much different than what you read about in the newspapers.

I really wonder if seeing people like former President Bush and Norman Schwarzkopf resign as life members from the NRA doesn't speak louder than any liberal newspaper. I know it would to me.

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idared

I really wonder if seeing people like former President Bush and Norman Schwarzkopf resign as life members from the NRA doesn't speak louder than any liberal newspaper. I know it would to me.

I cannot speak to Schwarzkopf, but Bush the elder was no friend of gun owners from what I recall.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Idared

What? George Bush Sr. quit because he didn't like the term Jack Booted Thugs being used to describe HIS Federal government. Swarzkopf wanted them to bend over and do whatever he wanted. Definately not in our best interest. If you had your facts straight, seeing a couple of Politicians quit wouldn't influence you at all. It would just make you wonder what their motives
were.

Anyone else have a lame excuse why they aren't NRA? Maybe because Bob Dole resigned too? LOL

Last edited by Higbean; 04/24/08.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It wasn't the NRA that came up with the 'jack-booted thugs.'

IIRC, the NRA quoted it, but it was a congressman who first described the BATF as jack booted thugs. Personally, I think he knew what he was talking about.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Bush Sr. became a life member to get votes. The "jack-booted thugs" was an easy way for him to get out. And, 1234567 is right. It was a congressman who said it, but under the Clinton administration too many federal LE divisions were acting like it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I really wonder if seeing people like former President Bush and Norman Schwarzkopf resign as life members from the NRA doesn't speak louder than any liberal newspaper. I know it would to me."

Where did you first hear about it? In a newspaper or on TV?

He didn't get re-elected because of it, either.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
The term jack booted thugs was used in a mailer that George Herbert Bush happened to read. It was describing a Federal Law Enforcement agency if memory serves me correctly. Imagine, a Jack Booted Thug quits the NRA. Whoda thunk it?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just signed up for a 5 year membership.I figured this was a good year to do it,as no matter who wins the election,they are going to be rabidly anti-gun.The membership is also needed to shoot at most of the local ranges around here,as they are insured by the NRA.And their magazine is decent enough to read while sittin on the pot.

As for Bush Sr.-he only joined to try to get votes.IIRC,Ed Weatherby gave him a fancy shotgun with his name engraved on it.Bush ended up giving it back.

I don't agree with everything the NRA does.I live in Kalifornia,and feel that they kind of sat on their thumbs while the lead ban and micro-stamping bills got passed.Funny,they complain about it after it passes,but I never heard much from them on trying to prevent it from going through in the first place.And they let the stupid "drop test" law go through,which impacts handgun purchases more than you think.Unless you can find a handgun being sold by a private party within the state,if it's not on "the list",you can't buy it.So,if I want say a S&W Model 57,I have to count on finding one at a gunshow or on consignment in a shop.I can't go online and buy one off the auction sites like I used to.It's a BS law and eventually they'll expand it to where you can't even buy a handgun period.

WB.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Wheelchairbandit,

If you want a gun that is not on the drop test list you can still get one if you have a buddy that is Law Enforcement. Have him purchase the gun and then do a ppt and it's yours. Sounds stupid, but it works and follows the letter of the law.

Higgins

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've been a Life Member since 1972. I differ with some of the NRA's postions, but they do stand up for our rights and do a good job of it.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I

He didn't get re-elected because of it, either.

C'mon 1234567, you can do better than that. smile
Bill Clinton became president in 1992 and Bush resigned from the NRA in 1995. I highly doubt it cost him the election. I do believe the statement he made, "Read my lips, no new taxes" probably did have something to do with his coming up short in the election of 1991 though.

You don't have to give me the third degree over NRA membership, I'm already a member and have been for over forty years. But you do have a long way to go in convincing the many millions of gun owners who are not if that is you ultimate goal. You can go about that any way you see fit but I still maintain you have your work cut out for you when high profile people like Bush and Schwarzkopf resign and their statements, which aren't to complimentary, can be found almost anywhere. Add to this that the NRA was only to glad to promote them to the hilt before the Oklahoma bombing. This pattern is still going on, use someone who is well known to the limit in your advertising and when they disagree with you no matter what you smear them saying they never were good NRA members. Don't give them a chance to explain or apologize, just slam them with everything you got. It's my way or the highway!! Seems a bit of hypocrisy to me. YMMV

WB made an excellent statement in my estimation:
no matter who wins the election,they are going to be rabidly anti-gun

I would guess that the next two years at least will see plenty of legislation to try to change things as we know them now. There has to be a better method to get those millions of gun owners in action than what has been tried recently. I admit I don't have the answers but I haven't seen anyone else come up with them yet either.

Larry
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Bush Sr. became a life member to get votes. The "jack-booted thugs" was an easy way for him to get out. And, 1234567 is right. It was a congressman who said it, but under the GHW Bush,Clinton, AND GW Bush administrations too many federal LE divisions were ARE STILL acting like it.

Changes in Red, just for effect.

BATFE has essentially shut down an AR manufacturing company called Cav Arms, in Phoenix. It has been around 60 days since their initial raid and no charges have been filed. lots of mystery on this one and there is talk of forfeiture proceedings, to keep ALL of the siezed items. *LINK* for those interested. This one really stinks.

The NRA needs to get involved in these matters. I've contacted them, as well as my congress critter. No real interest yet, by either. It'll take more voices to be heard. Remember Zumbo? smile

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by GrandView
Originally Posted by PJGunner
.....guess what numbnut, the Second Amendment was not about your target shooting hobby, nor is it about hunting or recreational shooting.

The definitive NRA recruitment statement......

Wonder why there aren't 80 million members....

The reason for the VAST majority is simple apathy. Most are more than willing to let others do the lifting. While the vocal minority, like Idared and Grandview are a cancer within, that seeks to thwart progress. Joaquin Jackson is one board member that needs to GO, next election cycle. (He's not up this time)

More VOTING members with open minds, can counter this Zumboesque sickness and help to illustrate the fact that the Second Amendment is NOT about your rights to keep and bear ONLY hunting rifles and trap shotguns. It's about much more than that.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
It'll take more voices to be heard.

Keep up the good work of alienating more of those millions of gun owners who aren't NRA members and I'm sure you can expect a tougher time getting those voices.

BTW, I am a voting member in the NRA and I do vote every year!! smile

I might further add "Eddie Eagle" has always been my most favored place to donate in the NRA. smile

Larry
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Even though we've been through this a while back, I'll play again.

If you're not willing to accept the Second Amendment for what it is, you are simply allowing the antis to chip away at it. This has been proven, time and again. The "Elites", like yourself, are happy, as long as "Your" high dollar skeet and trap shotguns (Or insert any other "special" firearm) are not infringed.

You choose to surrender "my" type, with the flawed belief that "yours" will somehow be safe. It may delay the inevitable a bit, but it's just a matter of time, if your side wins...

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
First off I'd like to commend you for not using the terminology a lot of folks use for people who don't agree with them. I also have never been one to want to divide gun owners into "sides" but I guess that has become fashionable today also. If you care to look at my past posts you will see that I am not for any firearms being banned, but I am also not a fan of the way some would feel they must divide gun owners if they don't feel EXACTLY as they do. I own no "High Dollar" skeet or trap shotguns, or anything else that is hgh dollar for that matter. Below is probably my most treasured firearm and it probably isn't worth much over $500 in the real world.
[Linked Image]

Anything else I own could be replaced fairly easily so I guess I don't feel very elite. I doubt you and I are very far apart in our beliefs but we will never agree on everything completely which ain't necessarily all bad. I would like to wish you good luck on your personal endeavors in the future.

Larry
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm just a member so I won't lose my right to go duck hunting.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

341 members (1OntarioJim, 17Hunter, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 29 invisible), 1,325 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,983
Posts18,520,002
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.