Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sitka Deer.. the problem you have is that you are trying to pull detail out of a press release.

A couple years ago, my father in law was cited for illegally killing a bison during Montana's first bison hunt in many years. It made the cover of every Montana newspaper for a number of reasons.. one of which he was a retired director of the MT FWP.

I remember the press release that came out. There were over a dozen errors (false details and mistakes) in the short coverage. I suppose it succeeded in the intent of getting attention though.

I was with him when he shot that bison - as were 4 others, including a retired FWP regional director and FWP hunter saftey coordinator. I think over 200 years hunting experience between the group of us.

The charge was ludicrous. He hired an attorney, wehtn to trial and was promptly found not guilty - at the expense of around $5 grand, time, and public humiliation.. all to fight a $135 charge, a confiscated animal, and mostly his reputation. He got the animal back and it's one of the largest B&C bison ever taken in Montana.

Bottom line is don't believe what you read in a press release like this... there's usually MUCH more to the story. Also.. (7 STW) don't believe that every CO is bright, honest and out to serve justice like the right hand of God himself.

Having personally been down this road - I can only hope that some of you can wake up and experience reality, and that your errors in life don't unfairly tarnish your reputations and careers.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Greenhorn
Point taken. On a bison side note, when my wife got her Delta bison here the previous 6 were the wrong sex... Three were bulls and three were cows, yet all were confiscated and major uglies happened.

The hunt concentrated on killing very young bison because of the herd dynamic they developed to maximize numbers, not quality. Sexing baby bison at distance in a herd is not easy and lots of folks now regret ever drawing the toughest tag to draw in AK...

Overzealous comes to mind...
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd think it's only fair you come to my doorstep...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Bryan made some bad decisions obviously but he does not need to be tarnished here.I know some Canadian born BC residents that makes his incident look like childs play and they do it year in and year out.I dont know Bryan personally but from what i have read and heard about the guy would have no problem hunting with him.We all make errors , learn from them and move on .

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Greenhorn, good post. Brings out a lot of the details.
Its funny, I live in Mackenzie, but had not heard about this at all.

I see a few things there though, from Bryan. He's admitted to you, that he knew that letting the other guy shoot the goat was wrong,and illegal. Period. He says himself that they should of waited for the hired guide. And the way our laws are, he could of been charged with a lot more. He shouldn't of been unaccompanied period at that time with a rifle or hunting gear. Much less wander off and hunt goats. Period. The guide they hired should of been charged also. Its simple, laws were broken, they got caught.

As to the residency thing, a lot of resident hunters do know about the number of days required. Its stated in the regs. Reason behind it is a lot of guys live in one province, work in another, keep dual houses. Don't want people to get greedy and double dip as residents. And this is enforced with cross province referencing.

As to him being a nice guy or not, could very well be. Haven't met him, yet. Fact remains, he screwed up, he knew it, he got busted.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
KodiakHntr. You're right, he screwed up, was cited, has paid considerably - and is taking full responsibility. My point is he is no liar, thief, poacher, etc. My litmus test on a person's character or worthiness is not perfection.

7 STW, your cluelessness is matched only by your inability to read. Hint.. the second paragraph in my first post. Something else Macho Man.. where is your doorstep and what is your name? --funny that you happened to leave that out. You never know, if I happen to be in the neighborhood and I'm feeling a little surly, maybe I'll stop by. I could let my 4 year old daughter work you over because I'm sure my 7 yr old son would prefer more of a challenge. laugh

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
After reading this over- I can now see why the judge passed a light sentence/accordingly. I wasn't privy to all the details and I think afew of the comments were a bit harsh. Mistakes can happen and I'm sure there will be many more, hopefully if I make a mistake I will not be judged too harshly.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nicely said 378...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by redmtn
Bryan made some bad decisions obviously but he does not need to be tarnished here.I know some Canadian born BC residents that makes his incident look like childs play and they do it year in and year out.I dont know Bryan personally but from what i have read and heard about the guy would have no problem hunting with him.We all make errors , learn from them and move on .

Ditto a thoughtful post here as well...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As if just ain't gonna let some [bleep] in boozeman dictate nuttin to me.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kurt
I had not read your post before I posted last night and see quite a bit more clearly now... thanks!
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
7STW
I am more than certain Greenhorn does not need me, but your [bleep] post is very much out of line.
art

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And Greenhorn's post about his four year old daughter working over 7STW wasn't?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup birds of the feather flock together..Outta line please...

Guess I'll call it a shift here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by n007
And Greenhorn's post about his four year old daughter working over 7STW wasn't?

Well that part's prolly true... she's a pretty tough kid grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a feeling old 7STW can take care of himself just fine, folks...
wink

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good grief, now you guys want to duke it out over someone else's mistake. This thing has nothing to do with game violations, it has more to do with where he's from.....

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It has everything to do with game violations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Let me clarify.....when I say this thing, i'm talking about this heated debate, not the actual incident.....savvy.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
He may very well be a guy you'd trust your wife and kids with. He also wouldn't be the first "trust worthy" guy to have a second personality, when money and/or trophy game was involved.

Wildlife offenders don't normally get caught on their first trangression. Brian's been tagged twice.
I bet this won't be his last conviction under the Wildlife act.....

Hope I'm wrong.

RO

Last edited by RiverOtter; 04/24/08.
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (01Foreman400, 1OntarioJim, 1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,567
Posts18,491,832
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.