Print Thread
Hop To
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
My wife got her 1st Gobbler yesterday and she's pretty happy. It had a 9 1/2" beard and was bigger than the bird I got on opening day with my bow and flintlock fowler.

She doesn't have a smoothbore barrel for her muzzleloader yet so she used her Youth Model 20ga single shot with a modified barrel.It was loaded with a 2 3/4" low brass shell and #8 SHOT. I patterned the gun at 20yds so I knew it would do the job at that distance with a head shot...she dumped the bird at 18yd's. 3" magnums?...who needs em.. grin

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RWL99; 04/28/08.

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did they have pop-up blinds back in the frontier days?

Just kidding!! grin Tell your wife congratulations and nice job.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
VERY VERY well done. Congratulations!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
very nice indeed!

DB

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have heard of some using #8s on turkeys and could see it really working on close birds.Here in Md we are limited to 4,5 and 6 shot.Way to go!!!Nice bird.

G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I agree.....You do not need a magnum, but maybe you should have!

Question: Why shoot the turkey at 18 yds? With the blind you were using, why not wait til the bird gets to 5 yds. and whack him with a slingshot? Methinks you are bragging inappropriately.

In my opinion (and, I have killed a bunch of turkeys with the 20 ga.), one should not hunt turkeys with a 20 ga., choked modified, using low base 8's. (And, if you do.....consider yourself lucky and keep your mouth shut!)

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Congratulations I would agree with you on not needing a magnum to kill the turkeys. I have a 410 that shoots a real nice pattern would kill a turkey if it came within the effective range of the gun. Did you make the call you are holding?

Proud to be an American
United States Marine

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Ron- Congrats to your wife on her first bird and to you on the assist!

What do you mean by "bow and flintlock fowler"?

P.S. You should see the 3.5" cigars I use in my Benelli!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
7 say congratulations and one has other thoughts. Guess that's what makes the world go around. Dead is dead and I still say congratulations!!!!!!

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B3

R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Question: Why shoot the turkey at 18 yds? With the blind you were using, why not wait til the bird gets to 5 yds. and whack him with a slingshot? Methinks you are bragging inappropriately.

In my opinion (and, I have killed a bunch of turkeys with the 20 ga.), one should not hunt turkeys with a 20 ga., choked modified, using low base 8's. (And, if you do.....consider yourself lucky and keep your mouth shut!)

Thanks for your opinion but you know what they say about opinions smirk

I've killed a bunch of turkey myself, to the point I don't brag inappropriately or even appropriately. Go back and re read my post and you'll see that I said I patterned the gun with the load and knew it's limit. By the way, this is not the first turkey this particular gun and load has killed.

My Wife is 70 years old and has Parkinsons disease. She can't hold and aim a heavy gun but she can do just fine with the little Youth Model single shot. It has a 3" chamber but the recoil would be too much for her in that light gun with a Magnum load, that's why we used the load we did.

As for bragging inappropriately, I think not. This is her first turkey and I'm damn proud of her so I think my bragging is VERY appropriate.

As for waiting for the bird to come in to 5 yds and "whack him with a slingshot" this bird was coming no closer and had to be shot when he stood. I think your smart a$$ remark is "inappropriate"

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
R
RWL99 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Congratulations I would agree with you on not needing a magnum to kill the turkeys. I have a 410 that shoots a real nice pattern would kill a turkey if it came within the effective range of the gun. Did you make the call you are holding?

Killahog, the call I'm holding was made for me by a friend in April of 1988 and I killed my first turkey with it that year. It's made out of walnut and has a nice deep raspy tone. I've got a box full of turkey calls but I decided to use this call in honor of it's 20th anniversary.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RWL99

Thanks for your opinion but you know what they say about opinions smirk

I've killed a bunch of turkey myself, to the point I don't brag inappropriately or even appropriately. Go back and re read my post and you'll see that I said I patterned the gun with the load and knew it's limit. By the way, this is not the first turkey this particular gun and load has killed.

My Wife is 70 years old and has Parkinsons disease. She can't hold and aim a heavy gun but she can do just fine with the little Youth Model single shot. It has a 3" chamber but the recoil would be too much for her in that light gun with a Magnum load, that's why we used the load we did.

As for bragging inappropriately, I think not. This is her first turkey and I'm damn proud of her so I think my bragging is VERY appropriate.

As for waiting for the bird to come in to 5 yds and "whack him with a slingshot" this bird was coming no closer and had to be shot when he stood. I think your smart a$$ remark is "inappropriate"

Very well said. You, unlike others here, are a class act.

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's a very nice Turkey in deed.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Well I say congrats to you and your wife, thats the beauty of everybody....we are all different!
Imagine how boring life would be if everybody did everything the same.
The way you got this turkey was obviously good enough....cause he's dead right?
Anyway your style of hunting and choice of implements are dramatically different than mine but you got a bird and I dont yet frown , but I will get one.
Like I said congrats..... smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GPA

GPA - Happy to see you're regularly taking your @sshole pills....

RWL99 - congrats to you and your wife.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

324 members (222Sako, 1Longbow, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 10Glocks, 34 invisible), 1,787 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,326
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.