Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The beauty of the frame angles Leanwolf posted a link to (same ones I own) is they're fully adjustable, so if anything does by chance shrink or stretch, there's no sawing/cutting necessary to make the frame fit the tent.

http://www.creativeshelters.com/Fittings/Canopy-Fitting.aspx

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
1 MINUTE - "Lastly, if at all possible, do not bring arms into ones heated wall tent. Condensation will be horrific and do serious damage especially if units are put up in a vinyl case. Exhaled breath, steam from, cooking, drying clothes, and moisture from the soil beneath tend to keep the humidity high on ones wall tent. Leave the guns under shelter outside or in an unheated rig."

1 Minute ain't kidding, boys & girls! Leave those rifles OUTSIDE your heated tent. Many years ago I learned my lesson on that. Once was enough.

As for size of tent, I used my 14'x16'x5' Colorado Tent Co. A-wall for many camps, both horseback pack in and vehicles, since 1974. Before that, we used smaller tents. Learned long ago that for my buddies and me, the large tent was for me to sleep in, cook in, socialize, store all kinds of gear, food, firewood, table for a propane two burner and camp box, folding table and chairs for eating, water, dry clothes, etc.

So my cot was there, and the other buddies had small tents where they slept. Made things very efficient and easy to handle the myriad camp chores that came up. Also, people were not constantly bumping into each other and having to move this or that to provide room for that and this!

As for cooking outside, even under an awning, I found out years ago that that is no fun whatsoever in inclement weather, whether snowing, raining, cold wind blowing, whatever. In my (experienced) opinion, you are better off to get a larger tent and cook inside.

As for stoking the stove in the middle of the night, none of us did that as we all had good sleeping bags.

Just my opinion... but I've been doing it in all kinds of weather and in many States, for 40 years.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Some good ideas, but I refuse to cook in the tent I sleep in - well maybe a pan of biscuits or something- I prefer to have a second smaller tent just for this. Some of you may have some nice meadows that you camp it and have all the room in the world. I typically get pretty far back in and the tent sites are limited in size. One 12x14 takes up pretty much any good spot and a 10x12 makes a good cook tent and storage.

The traditional method allows you to make your tent very tight every time you set it up. I have done it both ways and with any chance of inclement weather, I prefer the old method. I've just seen too many saggy, leaky tents with the internal frames. I have never put a plastic tarp over the top of my tent. It has NEVER leaked. Snow doesn't slide off very good but a few shakes of the end poles usually does the trip. I seal small pin holes with clear silicone.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a question about internal frames. I bought a used 14'X16' last fall after hunting season from a prospecting company, it's in very good condition and didn't come with the frame. I want to build an internal frame with electrical conduit and an angle set but how do I figure out what angle do I need?? Most angle set come with a few different peak angle?!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Give these guys the masurements and they'll send them to ya.

http://www.walltentshop.com/anglekit.html

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One can measure the width (don't stretch but have the canvas snug) then his peak to eve seams, and render a drawing at scale. Then measure the drawing angles. Given that the form from the eves to the peak is a triangle, the measurements at scale are forced to generate the proper angles.

My inclination is to make things an inch of two on the long side, do some fitting, and chop lengths as needed. One will waste a little material, but by going carefully should accomplish a near perfect fit. If ones unit is not truly square, he might color code the various corners and lengths to facitate rapid and consistent set up.

1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 05/06/08.

1Minute
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Did a camp this weekend and knew the weather was going to be bad (3" rain or so) and brought the stove with us. Here is the second tent we bought. It is a two-fabric tent to make it a little lighter (demo from one of the shows) and it worked fine. didn't leak a drop in all that rain and the stove allowed us to dry went pants and boots.

[img][IMG]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i21/dennisinaz/poolcamp.jpg[/img][/img]

Last edited by dennisinaz; 09/01/08.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any body using army surplus tents for hunting?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
i purchased the 14x16' with trad poles from Davis Tent in Jan. Got the tent, trad poles and largest cylinder stove for $1200. Used it camping 3-4 times this spring and its a blast and huge. My wife calls it the "Fortress". Nice thing about trad poles is they are shorter and some break down. Easier to throw in a short bed truck.

Psalm 18:34 ->>---->
He trains my hands for war, so that my arms can bend a bow of bronze.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (338reddog, AdamT204, 10gaugemag, 6MMWASP, 7 invisible), 1,668 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,954
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.