Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Supper perhaps I should not have come on so strong...sorry about that. However, in my humble opinion you need to be better prepared for the inevitable "less than perfect" shot. If you are truely prepared to wait on that perfect shot and pass up on any shot otherwise, well then I tip my hat to you. I don't take marginal shots either, but I have seen what shoulder blades on 900+ # bulls do to Trophy Bonded Bearclaws, Partitions and Accubonds. I am not the world's foremost authority on elk...I admit that. But after what I have seen, I would want something with more horsepower. I agree whole heartedly that bullet placement trumps caliber every time. Given the situation though, you will have more control over the bullet selection (obviously)than you will placement when you factor in wind, shot angles, heavy breathing etc. From what I have seen up close and personal, elk are one tough animal to put down and, more importantly, keep down. It is one animal that I know of where pure energy (whatever you want to call it) matters. If, after your brainstorming session, you do decide on the TSX, I believe you will have chosen the best bullet for that caliber and situation...again, best of luck.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where on earth you seeing the 900 lb plus bulls? I've never seen anything like that?

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You've gotta cross the border to find 'em laugh

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Godogs
I agree with you to a point, but that point won't be suggesting a 280 either.... If I have to do it and do it now, its gonna be a 338 cal minimum and that minimum will be a 338 win mag if not 338-378 or 338 edge or even a 375 or 416 round.
Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Out to a couple hundred yards or so, and in the hands of a hunter who WILL place the shot correctly, it'll work just fine.

I'd rather see you use a 100 grain Partition because of it's many years of proven killing power, but that's just because I'm old and set in my traditional ways. smile

Wayne

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

As in borders of a high fence....... smirk

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I killed two black bears and one muledeer with my .243 and 85 br. X bullets prior to selling it. A skilled rifleman should have no trouble taking elk with a properly placed bullet.

Personally I wouldn't use one for elk.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith

As in borders of a high fence....... smirk

Dober

No.....as in you've gotta cross the border to the north and come to the land of 60" bull moose, 10' grizz, and 1000lbs bull elk wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh......dat border..... smile

Jordan you have much for silver dogs up your way?

Dober

S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Supper perhaps I should not have come on so strong...sorry about that.
No worries.

Originally Posted by Godogs57
If, after your brainstorming session, you do decide on the TSX, I believe you will have chosen the best bullet for that caliber and situation...again, best of luck.

No matter the caliber, this year, TSX's will be driven.

Originally Posted by rost495
Godogs
I agree with you to a point, but that point won't be suggesting a 280 either.... If I have to do it and do it now, its gonna be a 338 cal minimum and that minimum will be a 338 win mag if not 338-378 or 338 edge or even a 375 or 416 round.
Jeff
wow...

I hate to say it, but you are one of the guys that we always make fun of. The man that brings the howitzer. I've seen many a guy try to schlep a 338 or 375 around on a week long hunt for the "just in case" and by the second day they are wishing they had something more along the lines of my 280.

Point out to me one single thing within 600 yards that my 280 can't do as well as your 338.

And if you are talking a light weight 338, those are for the birds. Had one a few years ago; put 6 rounds through it, took the scope off it and put it back in the safe to save for a project at a later date. It wasn't worth the brutality of it.

My dad finally came to his senses and put his 375 away and picked up his trusted 270 again.

And while I'm rambling, if you really want to get down to the bare bones of it, why not use the "original" elk caliber... .45-70? Oh, thats right, its not a freaking beam rifle that will zap an elk at 1,000 yards.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Oh......dat border..... smile

Jordan you have much for silver dogs up your way?

Dober

You betcha we do. What do you think keeps us occupied in the off season??? wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We get some nice silver dogs in places on the high line but most other area's they're kind of a rusty reddish brown for lack of better words.

Thx
Dober

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I hunt New Mexico...and no, no, no...I have never ever in this lifetime been near a fenced operation unless you count the fenced run I keep my labs in.
Rost495, I agree with your partial agreement...whatever. I assumed the comparison was between the 243 and the 280 and that was all the choices we had here. I shoot a 280 AI as my #1 deer gun and probably would never take it elk hunting either...I stick with my 300's. I am sure the AI would take an elk, no doubt.
Y'all have a nice day.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I hunt New Mexico...and no, no, no...I have never ever in this lifetime been near a fenced operation unless you count the fenced run I keep my labs in.
Rost495, I agree with your partial agreement...whatever. I assumed the comparison was between the 243 and the 280 and that was all the choices we had here. I shoot a 280 AI as my #1 deer gun and probably would never take it elk hunting either...I stick with my 300's. I am sure the AI would take an elk, no doubt.
Y'all have a nice day.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Supper

I pack a heavy 54 mz for most of my elk hunting, swapping to a 338 or other is no change. Weight wise they are not much heavier than a 280 lets say.

And I agree, if you can't handle the recoil of the bigger rounds stay away. Most cannot. But it doesn't bother me, heck its only one shot anyway.

I don't carry the larger ones for a distance reason either, just simply for that south to north shot if it is all I have. Though they do offer a bit more at longer ranges if ever encountered.

You can laugh all you want, but if you hear my gun go off, you had better have a knife handy, how that is bad I cannot figure.

Of course maybe I'm weird since I've shot a deer with my 50....

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Supper Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Last night seemed to be a bad night for my rant mode on a few forums... sorry if I came across a bit arrogant.

Originally Posted by rost495
I don't carry the larger ones for a distance reason either, just simply for that south to north shot if it is all I have. Though they do offer a bit more at longer ranges if ever encountered.
Thats something I've never understood right there. I've seen people take shots like that, but to me its not that big of a deal. I don't -have- to kill something. So if this is your example of a "worst case scenario" that a 243 wouldn't work for, well I wouldn't take that shot anyway. Texas Heart Shots just aren't worth it. grin

And as the other thread going on right now states, who cares what gun it really is so long as people are out there actually participating.

Last edited by Supper; 05/06/08.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
We get some nice silver dogs in places on the high line but most other area's they're kind of a rusty reddish brown for lack of better words.

Thx
Dober

I must have misunderstood what you were talking about. Either "silver dog" is an american term, or I'm just out of the loop... smile

What are you referring to?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
silver colored yotes is what I meant, sorry for the Dober lingo

Dober

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Cool, I assumed you were talking about yotes. Yeah we have plenty of those. smile I shot a couple silvers myself this season...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not go try it out and let us know how it works?

Good Hunting!

"You cannot miss fast enough to win."-- Ross Seyfried
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,280 guests, and 1,292 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,281
Posts18,486,813
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.