Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by MOGC
The look of "Oh crap!" as he turned to me has never left my memory after all these years.

LMAO!! laugh laugh

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
GB1

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by PMC
Suppressor and accurate rifle.

I actually just purchased a SWR Spectre 22cal can and am pretty tempted but with it being so close to my house, I'm kind of hesitant to shoot it because if I miss, we'll have to put up with the stink!!

I also considered some anti-freeze cat food but don't like the idea of poisoning an animal... cry

The Have-a-Heart trap might just be the ticket if I can work up the nerve to walk up and cover the trap once it's caught..... eek If I went that route, what size would be best??

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nebraska
Originally Posted by PMC
Suppressor and accurate rifle.

I actually just purchased a SWR Spectre 22cal can and am pretty tempted but with it being so close to my house, I'm kind of hesitant to shoot it because if I miss, we'll have to put up with the stink!!

I also considered some anti-freeze cat food but don't like the idea of poisoning an animal... cry

The Have-a-Heart trap might just be the ticket if I can work up the nerve to walk up and cover the trap once it's caught..... eek If I went that route, what size would be best??

The company has a good website with advice on which model trap for which critter, bait, etc.
How to catch a skunk advice from Havaheart

I have piled a burlap bag on top of the trap when I set it, then used a short pole to drop it down. Inside the dark trap, the citters stayed calm. Go slow and don't panic the critter and they won't spay.

If you are really worried, two people on the end of a rope tied to the trap could stay at a safe distance, but the trap will get bounced around and you could count on the trap getting stinky.

Plus, one advantage of getting this trap is that it is the same size one would use, say, if one also happened to have a nasty neighbour's tomcat spraying into one's house through a sliding patio screen door. In fact, this trap baited with the same sardines used for skunks might catch said tomcat. But I would have no personal experience with that... grin

John

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The ammonia idea works great...they'll leave pretty darn quick...

I didn't know it until I went to a local game preserve here that takes care of injured animals...but fox leave a scent that smells just like a skunk...or is mistaken for skunks...

also found out some fox can climb trees also..

saw a beautiful silver fox while out for an evening walk just before dark tonight..

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by jpb
In fact, this trap baited with the same sardines used for skunks might catch said tomcat. But I would have no personal experience with that... grin

laugh We certainly have some characters on this board.... wink

I've never used a havaheart trap but used to jokingly call them havatarget traps.... whistle

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
"What would happen if you ran a tube into the hole, tamped dirt around it, hooked the tube up to your pickup's exhaust, and let it run for a half hour or so?"

Essentialy nothing, if your pickup (like most) has a catalitic converter. You need an exhaust that still has mostly carbon monoxide. They sometimes use this method to kill praire dogs (I prefer to shoot them).

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
http://www.varmitgetter.com/

This should get rid of the whole family. No touchy either.

N
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Blueprinted
http://www.varmitgetter.com/

This should get rid of the whole family. No touchy either.

Right out of Caddy Shack!! laugh

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
That is the point of having the 20 feet of wire on the trap, as long as you stay 20 feet away from the skunk they will not try to spray you.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I've Thrown a large burlap bag over a haveaheart containing a skunk 5 or 6 times with no problem. Put the trap in my truck and released it in the woods with no problem. Move slow and quietly.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Let them go? Not around here! They get dispatched.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have said this before and I will say it again. The best skunk medicine is a flame thrower. Burning diesel smells much better than a skunk and goes away quicker too!

Hemi

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
a 243 wssm with a 58gr vmax works really good on skunks, they even get a little air.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 54 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,777
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.