-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
99Lever Offline OP
OP Offline
I have never owned a lever action let alone a Savage 99, like my previous post said I am the proud owner of a 99C in .308!! The gun is a 1980 build in mint and origional condition. I have noticed a "clicking/creeking" movement in the fore-arm where it meets the receiver. This happens when it is handled and maybe torqued a bit side to side.

The seller told me all 99's have this to a certain degree, its to allow the wood to expand and shrink and still not touch the barrel?? Is this true, should I back off the forearm sqrew to allow for this or should I crank it down so there is no movement?? Has anyone else experienced this with a 99??

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 99Lever
I have never owned a lever action let alone a Savage 99, like my previous post said I am the proud owner of a 99C in .308!! The gun is a 1980 build in mint and origional condition. I have noticed a "clicking/creeking" movement in the fore-arm where it meets the receiver. This happens when it is handled and maybe torqued a bit side to side.

The seller told me all 99's have this to a certain degree, its to allow the wood to expand and shrink and still not touch the barrel?? Is this true, should I back off the forearm sqrew to allow for this or should I crank it down so there is no movement?? Has anyone else experienced this with a 99??

Don't Crank-it Down Befor You Chip or Crack the Forarm
I Have 3 that Have Slight Movement On Mid 60-Early 70's,
I Put an O'Ring Under the The Stud Between the For-Arm and Stud Screw Hole and Lightly Tighten and Eliminated-Minimized that enoying Creeking Sound-Movement. J.M.O.
Steve

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's just old age setting in! grin

READ THE BIBLE-IT WILL SCARE THE HELL OUT OF YOU!
NO 99"s ARE JUNK, FDP
NRA Endowment Life Member
US Air Force Retired,Phantom Phixer
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Hey Lauren,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,any thoughts on this??????????????? grin grin grin

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Spray some WD40 on it grin

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Longbeardking303
Hey Lauren,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,any thoughts on this??????????????? grin grin grin

We Don't Need to Make the Guy Feel Bad About His Gun Do We???
For We Know What the Ansewer Will Most Likley Be. eek
I really think we Should be Helpful Here.J.M.O.

�Can we move this along?" a bored voice stated. "I have places to be and people to shag."

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh it's a C. C stands for CLICK.

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
99Lever Offline OP
OP Offline
Any thoughts here guys??

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Steve offered a good solution with the O ring.

As a general rule, don't tighten the forearm screw too tight - just nice and snug. Pretty subjective I know but tha's what seems to work. Each person has their own gauge on that one though.

I think you get the best accuracy with the forearm floated off the receiver. Other folks claim a full length bedding of the forearm to the barrel and receiver brings miracles. You just have to work with them...

99Lever Offline OP
OP Offline
Is this common to see in 99's?? I do like the idea of an o-ring installed between the stock and bolt hole. Will this effect it negatively in any way?? What size o-ring works best for this, like a small rubber black one??

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is this common to see in 99's?? I do like the idea of an o-ring installed between the stock and bolt hole. Will this effect it negatively in any way?? What size o-ring works best for this, like a small rubber black one??

No Effect at all,,,And Yes Like a Black One.
Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, use a black one... The blue, green, and red ones scare the deer away!! grin grin grin

Mike....

All said, the Savage 99 is a genius of a rifle. Although no longer produced, it remains highly revered, as it was the foundation from which Arthur Savage built one of America's great gun companies. >> (Jon Y. Wolfe) <<
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Small black rubber o-ring.. fairly fat, but only wide enough to fit. Not only may it get rid of the "creakiness", might even improve accuracy by removing pressure on the barrel.

There should only be two significant contact points on the forearm. The screw, and where the wood fits to the receiver. If the forearm is loose, one or both of those have a problem. Find the basic problem and it might be easy to fix without making any changes to the rifle. The o-ring is one way to help the screw area.

Other things I've run into in my limited experience..

I had one whose wiggled around a bit, turned out that the screw base was loose in the dovetail under the forearm. Got that tightened up (and loctited) and the wiggle stopped.

A takedown I had also suffered from a loose forearm. Turned out that the wood to receiver fit wasn't good (wood probably shrank a bit over the last 90 years). Don't remember how I did it, but I essentially padded the forearm where it met the receiver to make it a firm fit when the forearm was on. Looseness disappeared, and I didn't make any alterations to the rifle.

99Lever Offline OP
OP Offline
The "clicking/creeking" is occuring where the fore-stock meets the receiver. With the sqrew 70% tightened it makes the sound when I hold the stock there. When I tighten the sqrew to about 90% it still makes the sound, but only when I torque and push the stock. I am affraid to crank the sqrew down for fear of cracking the wood. I have no idea what size o-ring to get, do they come in actual sizes??

Last edited by 99Lever; 05/08/08.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You could try a bit of RTV on that part of the foreend that fits into the receiver. Ya might need three or four small spots of RTV or you might need a small bead all the way around the foreend tenon. RTV is soft, forgiving stuff that's easily removed from interior surfaces if you need to.

Carefully applied, it'll close any receiver/foreend tenon play if that's the cause of your noise. :)dh

"...the IInd Amendment is not about duck hunting..." Suzanne Hupp
99Lever Offline OP
OP Offline
Sorry to put you guys through this, but it seems like the problem is where the fore-end meets the receiver. There is vertical play there when the stock sqrew is snugged up, and
maybe just a bit when the sqrew is tight. Also any one know where I can get a new stock sqrew mine is kinda chewed up, I wont tolerate this!!(o: Here is what I am dealing with:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by 99Lever; 05/08/08.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sounds like XCIX and I have both done a similar thing... he used RTV to be a filler on the back end of the forearm, and I don't remember what I used. I'd suggest trying that.

Forearm screw.. here ya go.

http://www.e-gunparts.com/product.asp?chrProductSKU=119140A

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I can't beleive 16 people would take that question serious enough to make a post on it... must be a slow day.

99Lever Offline OP
OP Offline
Ya im sorry to ask soo much about this its just that I have never owned a 99, and I want this one to be used for the next 50 years. I wanna get it right!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ya im sorry to ask soo much about this its just that I have never owned a 99, and I want this one to be used for the next 50 years. I wanna get it right!!

99lever
Don't Be Sorry at All. Welcome again to the 24Hr. smile
You are Seeking Advice and wanting to learn.
You will always Get a Answer from Some-one,
You just got to weed through all,,,
Don't Ever be Sorry for Asking,,Even if ya don't like the reponse ya get.
Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1badf350, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1234, 64 invisible), 2,788 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,371
Posts18,469,224
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.