Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
You could call this the alphabet gun.
Has anyone seen one of these? They are marked #x of 500.
The price is appealing. I think I would prefer the 798 Mauser action instead of the push feed 700.
Maybe that is why they only made 500?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I bet they have a nice little kick at 7 pounds..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of the local guides carry the XCR version of the H&H. At 7 5/8s they aren't ideal bench guns either, but these aren't bench shooters anyway. They sight 'em and go. Most of these guys shoot plenty of ammo in other calibers through guns of similar design so don't have one iota of doubt about whether a "push feed" might be a problem or is not as ideal as another type of rifle. Sometimes the internet and reading all the mags are not the best way to "realize your potential." Reality works too. A light 375 does buck though according to the same fellows who switched from their heavier M70s.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Ive owned a synthetic stock Sako 375 H&H for more than 10 years that weighs about the same as the Remington SPS you are looking at. And I have shot the Remington 375 H&H in XCR version.

My advice FWIW, is to look for a heaver contour barrel 375 H&H such as a CZ 550 American Safari. Testing loads and.... practicing with 300 grain bullets is not a great deal of fun with lighter weight 375 H&Hs. Every time I take my Sako to the range these days to practice a much heaver CZ 550 starts sounding better and better.

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
JungleJim,
In my opinion ... the Rem700 and Sako Fiberclass where the only 375H&H's weighted correctly ... perhaps even the stainless/synthetic Saveges. The 375H&H is not a heavy kicker, building it to be 10lbs makes the ideal all-rounder into an absolute PITA to carry for extended periods. The only heavier 375H&H I've had was a Rem700 with magnum contour docked at 22". Weightier than a Safari Classic, it nevertheless handled perfectly. The CZ550's (and 602s) in 375H&H I've handled were just 'fat pigs' with the absolute worst being the 300WinMag and 358Norma 602's ... but a CZ 375H&H is just about perfect for rechambering to 378Wby.

Having said that I'd not pay to buy a RemSPS 375H&H unless it was priced as per a usual SPS. Why hunters are expected to fork out extra for anything "375H&H" is just a mystery to me.
Cheers...
Con

IC B2

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The Weatherby Fibermark in a Mark 5 isn't too heavy. If the Weatherby stock dimensions are in your favor it only a hundred or so bucks more than the Remington.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I traded for a SS Weatherby Mk. V Fibermark in .375 H&H a few years ago. It's not a light rifle, mostly because the Mk. V action is large and because it has a pretty 24" stout barrel on it. That said, I have carried it a lot and the weight has not been a problem, even at altitude in Colorado. It shoots well for me and I have used it on elk here in the US and on plains game in Namibia. I liked everything about it except for the stock, so I had it bedded into a McMillan Classic last year and now I like it even better.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Con
Having said that I'd not pay to buy a RemSPS 375H&H unless it was priced as per a usual SPS. Why hunters are expected to fork out extra for anything "375H&H" is just a mystery to me.

Good point! ...... Actually, Remington would probably sell quite a few of those units if they were priced the same as the rest of the SPSs. They would do well to supply brass as well.

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SuperCub,
Something about engraving '375H&H' raises the price of a rifle dramatically. In Remington's case ... its the same action length physically, magazine box, follower and boltface etc..., and even the XCR's have basically the SPS stock but with rubber inlets. Yet they charge a premium??? Just doesn't make sense.

Given the action length of a Howa/Vanguard ... they should bring a 375H&H out and sweep the bottom end of the 375 market. More 375H&H's get shot on ranges and at soft-skinned game, then ever make it to Africa etc...
Cheers...
Con

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Howa has got rifles and barreled actions in .375 Ruger, not the same as H&H but dam close. http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/specs/specs_baractions.html

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Howa has got rifles and barreled actions in .375 Ruger, not the same as H&H but dam close. http://www.legacysports.com/products/howa/specs/specs_baractions.html

The Howa is not available yet in the USA (as far as I know), but I was told they should be out by June. As a shooter of both the .375 H&H (for years and years) and the .375 Ruger, I'd actually say that the Ruger version is better than the grand old H&H. It kinda pains me to write this, but I believe it to be true. This, simply due to the performance levels easily obtainable with a shorter barrel (if you want a handy, shorter/fast swinging gun for close-up/brushy/timber work... but still have the reach to knock out large game at longer ranges). Now, obviously, my experience is with the Alaskan version.

Anyway, they are both excellent cartridges and I'm glad to see Howa putting another .375 on the market at a decent price point --- which is supposed to be much less $$$ than the Ruger Alaskan. My experience with Howa/Weatherby has been very good. In fact, with some minor trigger work, the two most accurate rifles (and probably the cheapest) I've ever owned were of this ilk.

One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching. -Bill
W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
After hashing it over, I realize this is a real bargain if you like short blood trails.
Mine weighs roughly 7.5 lbs and the trigger is the best I have seen for an out of the box trigger. About 4.5 lbs and crisp!
The barrel is non glare and the recoil pad is very soft.
I can't wait to feel its gentle caress. wink
Did I mention it comes with a barrel band swivel?
Maybe I will change my name to 375nut?
whelennut

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I don't want a .375 that weighs less than 9.5 lbs with scope and mounts...

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by SoTexasH
I bet they have a nice little kick at 7 pounds..

I put together a 375 H & H with a 22 inch stainless barrel on a blued 700 action. Total with scope, sling and a full magazine is less than 8 pounds, and a better handling mountain rifle where long range bulls is the norm and not the exception, just doesn't exist.

Wayne

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinson

:/And I wouldn't want one that was 9.5.....funny how differing we all are.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
+1 dober! i have a rem 700 classic in 375 h&h. with a leupy 1.5x5 scope and fully loaded i am looking at 8.5 lbs. recoil has never been a problem and that is with full house 300 grain loads. did add a limsaver to it though. seem to help a little. not really a big synthetic guy but they seem like a good idea. now a 416 ruger alaskan..... i am there!!!-keith

Clint Eastwood: "I have strong feelings about gun control. If there is a gun around I want to be controlling it."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ohiohunter
+1 dober! i have a rem 700 classic in 375 h&h. with a leupy 1.5x5 scope and fully loaded i am looking at 8.5 lbs. recoil has never been a problem and that is with full house 300 grain loads. did add a limsaver to it though.

I have the same rifle in 375/338 with a 21" bbl w/Limbsaver. It weighs a shade more than 8.75lbs. Recoil is OK but there is a bit of muzzle jump at the bench to keep to on your toes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have you had a chance to take it to the range? If so, tell us about it...please.

JS

W
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
W
I put a sling on it and a scope with mounts, it is up to 9 lbs. already. I plan on carrying 10 rds in an elastic buttstock carrier. It shouldn't kick to bad.
My 20 year old son is claiming it, if he gets drawn for a bear tag this fall. crazy
I might have to buy another one! grin
Or I could go small bore and use the 35 Whelen.
whelennut

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 160user, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,391
Posts18,527,768
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.