Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Aldeer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Gary Sitton wrote several articles for Handloader in the 1990s. In the Oct 1999 issue (#201), Scovill introduced him as a new staff member and Sitton wrote the first installment of what was to be his new backpage column titled the "The Last Word".
After that issue, Gary Sitton never appeared in Handloader again.

JB, you were writing for Handloader back then, do you know why Gary left?

Last edited by Aldeer; 05/10/08.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
IIRC,Gary passed away a few years ago.It's a shame-he was one of my favorite writers.

WB

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
he was great. I had heard that substance abuse was involved but that is only heresay,

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Then why say it? That's one of the ways heresay get's started.

Battue

Last edited by battue; 05/10/08.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by battue
Then why say it?

Battue

Exactly.....

Regardless of his vices, Gary Sitton was an excellent writer, top-notch. NO offense meant to any of the other writers, JB I really enjoy your writing as well.
Gary quit writing for Peterson's Hunting about that same time. His back page article was the first thing I read every month.
He was my all time favorite writer.

Bill

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Come on man, why do you think I said it, use your head. I was answering the question, and read it in Petersen's hunting.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Heresay and fact are two different things. My heads perfectly clear regarding the distinction.

Battue

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I read the same thing in Peterson's Hunting and I don't ever recall it saying ANYTHING about substance abuse BEING the reason he quit writing. Yes, they said Gary had some demons he had to deal with, but Boddington also said Sitton could out write him all day long despite that.
He's sure as hell not the first famous writer who drank a little in excess.

Bill

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I took that article and others as an explanation as to why there were periods of time when he was not writing. That's all I could get from it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What the hell, it's only a man's reputation were talking about on a public forum.

Battue

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I remember that last piece--it shook me up a little. I showed it to my wife and said, "this guy is either getting divorced or going into rehab, or both!" Like most of you, I loved his writing. However, when I finally met him, I found that I didn't like him very much--but that didn't stop me from reading everything that he wrote.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought the Petzal article was very complimentary. Everyone seems to have liked Gary Sitton, so no one is bad mouthing the man. Most people just miss his writing is all.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shot next to him a few times at the now defunct Tucson Rod and Gun Club. He was a reserved quiet guy. I made small talk with him a few times. I enjoyed reading his articles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well lots of people some well known and some known but to God have, have had problem with the bottle or drugs. Some over come it and others never do. What ever Gary's problem or problem's was is only known to those that knew him or his Maker. This dose not take away the great writing talent that he had. We all have our short comings, lord knows I have a few, while I never had any problems with booze or drugs, I can understand how one can get trapped in that escape. Either way its a sad thing.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I enjoyed his writing and seem to recall that he died of cancer. But then, if I had cancer, substance abuse might ease the pain.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Gary Sitton was a personal friend of mine when he lived in Tucson. Like AZshooter, I first met him at the Tucson Rod and Gun Club, met him several timewhen he was at Jensens Custom Ammo. More than once did we have a couple of drinks together but I never knew Gary to do "drugs" Once you got past the "outer shell" Gary was a fun guy to be around. As posted he died from Cancer which I don't think you get from a little booze.
I guess without some definate proof, I hate to hear stories his death was from anything other than Cancer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary Sitton was one of the best, ever. Sure wish someone would publish a collection of his works as I'd be the first one to line up to buy my copy!

6mm250, thanks for posting that link it was a great read! smile Truly enjoyed it!

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I take Petzal's column as being a complemtary story about a friend. I makes me wish I had read his stuff and met him.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mudhen
I remember that last piece--it shook me up a little. I showed it to my wife and said, "this guy is either getting divorced or going into rehab, or both!"

"Sick" was what I immediately thought. Sadly I was right. Always enjoyed his writing and hoped I would see him come back some day.

Maybe someone will take the time for an anthology of his work. I'd be in line for a copy.

"This duty fell upon me and was the worst job I ever had in my life.
I have known men I would rather shoot than the worst of dogs."

Frank Wild
Second in Command
Endurance 1914-1916
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
All I know is he had time enough to have lunch with this boy when he 30 years old and gave me his address and phone number. I was only around him a few hours but he was very gracious and funny.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I too would read his back page articles first each month. I saved a lot of them and take them out and read them once in a while still. His writing was amazing, he could craft a sentence with the best writers I've ever read. JB produced the same type product in his book "The Life of the Hunt". I can count on one hand the outdoor writers who can write as well as JB and Gary Sitton...and I may still have three fingers left.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I hang on to many of my old G. Sitton stories, they are just so very good!

He is surely missed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Does anyone have the Backpage story he wrote about a used Model 70 Winchester? I have tried to find my copy several times but must have lost it somewhere along the way. It was an ode to a used Model 70 and the man who owned it previously. If anyone has a copy I would love a scan or Xerox. Odessa

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I seem to recall an article he did (on the back page) where he was paring down his collection of guns and moving to Texas. You could always count on good advice in his writings, like JB.

Paul

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Too many writers need alcohol like machines need oil. I truly miss him and his work.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Odessa,

I went through my collection of his works and couldn't find the one you're asking about. I'll look around, I thought I had some more of his articles stashed away.

Jeff M.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Too many are defending him from what is not even an attack on his character. As pointed out, there are a number of writers who have their bottle troubles. Gary, a very talented writer, and who seemed to emulate Jack O'Connor (look at the way he dressed and his glasses for one thing) obviously had his troubles but that still doesn't answer the original question! I have no opinion of him as a man, but he was a fine scribe nonetheless.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Ditto.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't even BEGIN to guess the interest in WHY he left Handloader. It sure as hell ain't any of my business, nor do I care to know why a dead man left a job 9 years ago.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I talked to him once after he divorced and moved to Texas,invited him to come hunting but he never did. He seemed like a sad soul,but his writing was genius.

He is one of a handful of 20th century gun scribes who could really write as well as anyone has. The others are Robert Ruark,Jack O'Connor,John Hunter,and John Barsness.

Britt

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Every time I see this topic come up the first thing I post, is that I'd buy a copy of his collected works in a heart beat if they were ever published.....

Please don't feed the trolls!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
+1 the man had soul......

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gary Sitton was not a writer, he was a word artist. The stuff he wrote for Peterson's under pen name Jacob Bowers was some of his finest. His reloading and gun articles were second to none. Would love to have a book containing his works.

GreggH

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At a Las Vegas gun show I admired but passed on a Springfield 7mm with a Sukalle barrel. A few weeks later I was in funds again, got hold of the seller, who told me he had sold the rifle to Gary Sitton. I had met GS at a bird hunting lodge a year or two before that so I wrote him and said that if he tired of the rifle to sell it to me. We went back and forth about it for another couple years but never made a deal, then he passed on and where the rifle is today I don't know.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All I guess can be said is Godspeed

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A dead mans reputation.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Old writers who died old leave us short-handed and grieving.

Old writers who died young leave us short-handed and grieving.

New writers who don't come along leave us short-handed and grieving over the old ones whom we've lost. We should also grieve (I do) that so few good new ones are coming along.

I also grieve when good ones just quit writing.

And boy! am I grateful that we still have so many good ones!

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
New writers who don't come along leave us short-handed and grieving over the old ones whom we've lost. We should also grieve (I do) that so few good new ones are coming along.
Ken, you have to wonder why anyone would want to be a writer. I know I tried to get started when I was a teenager, but rejection notices sort of quenched the fire for me. I realize that what I wrote probably wasn't very good, but a little encouragement would have gone a long way.

Now, many times I refrain from making contributions to this forum because I don't want to subject myself to un-warranted (or even warranted) criticism by strangers. Why would I care? Who knows? Maybe it is the idea of casting pearls before swine. Or, maybe I really have nothing to say (sus Minervam docet). Anyway, I have to think: why bother? Why put up with the hassle?

As an artist soon realizes, everybody is a critic, and everybody has a better vision of what you are trying to accomplish than you do. A gunsmith has the same experience. A writer experiences it in spades!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
(Banduwallah, you sound like you might be a gunsmith or an artist or something, besides having tried some writing. I hope you're a teacher of something, too. Nice to hear someone advocating encouragement for those starting out. I think too often folks just look for the prodigy and forget folks can LEARN. I suspicion most writers had an early mentor that gave 'em a boost and kept them penning. Wonder who Gary Sitton's was.... Ella)

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Very perceptive. Yes, you are correct on most counts, except that I am not a teacher. That is one area in which I am not gifted.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
Ken, you have to wonder why anyone would want to be a writer. I know I tried to get started when I was a teenager, but rejection notices sort of quenched the fire for me. I realize that what I wrote probably wasn't very good, but a little encouragement would have gone a long way.

Now, many times I refrain from making contributions to this forum because I don't want to subject myself to un-warranted (or even warranted) criticism by strangers. Why would I care? Who knows? Maybe it is the idea of casting pearls before swine. Or, maybe I really have nothing to say (sus Minervam docet). Anyway, I have to think: why bother? Why put up with the hassle?

As an artist soon realizes, everybody is a critic, and everybody has a better vision of what you are trying to accomplish than you do. A gunsmith has the same experience. A writer experiences it in spades!

Interesting thoughts here.

I have had 3 rejections in my career spanning nearly 25 years, 1 in Australia when a new editor thought he was an apprentice "GOD" and wanted everyone to bow down,(he didn't last long) and 2 here in the US, 1 from an editor who only supported the good old boys in his stable, rejecting new or unfamiliar writers, and a second justifiably, because I did not follow the brief provided, though I got a reprieve and mentoring, on how to get it right.

The editor you deal with has a huge influence on your potential success as a writer. I believe everyone has a good story to tell or a unique way of presenting their thoughts. Some may be more prolific than others, but that can change as experience opens your mind to topics you can cover.

I would suggest writing in a style that follows your way of conversing so it has natural flow to it. Then, leave it to gather a little dust.

Come back to it a read it as though you are reading to learn from it. Note your grammar, phrasing, detail and the areas you spend excessive time pondering, as well as the places you can offer a little more, to enhance the information.

If you are describing a hunt, think hard about the terrain and weather conditions and ensure that is included in the content.

Please, Please, Please do not commit the world wide criticism that most US writers get. You use a rifle, a load, a scope, and something happened after you pulled the trigger. WHAT?????

I cannot tell you the amount of criticism I have heard some well known writers receive "as they seem to go out of their way not to tell you what they used on the hunt". Infuriating.

I had an editor tell me once, "nobody gives a S--- how many flat tires you had or how long you got screwed around at the airport". "What did you hunt?" "What did you carry and what load?" "What happened after the shot?" The end.

I think you can elaborate a little more than that, but I too am infuriated as a reader when the author does not tell you about his rifle and load.

Most readers are looking for confirmation that they have already bought the perfect hunting rifle and you can cover that obligation or, inspire them to purchase something they really were interested in already, but gain that little extra inspiration they needed to take the financial step after reading your prose.

Write. Failure is for quitters, so send it elswhere but never send it to 2 or more editors at the same time as you run the risk of 2 acceptances and that is your end to a writing career.

As for Gary Sitton, he was one of the best of the last generation taking you to wonderfula nd beautiful places and he always shared his rifles and loads with his readers. If you want to be a gun writer, writing about guns is a good idea.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter

Most readers are looking for confirmation that they have already bought the perfect hunting rifle and you can cover that obligation or, inspire them to purchase something they really were interested in already, but gain that little extra inspiration they needed to take the financial step after reading your prose.

That's the best capsule summary of gun magazines I've seen on this forum. It perfectly describes what I've been thinking the past few days reading every article by JB on the 7x57, and particularly the 7x57 Ruger No. 1. I'm going to buy the rifle, I just need a little moral support...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

You cannot go wrong with a Ruger 7x57.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had forgotten we lost G. Sitton in 2006....didn't we lose Capstick about the same time?

All American

All the time
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Like Ken said, there's a generation shift going on. In writing as in other fields. Hate to see it sometime....

Ella

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I sometimes wonder if the Gun Mags should have a "page" (near the back) for "new" writers (beginners so to speak). I think would find it interesting at least if reasonably well written. Something other than the same old same old. Of course, that is probably why I am NOT an editor of any magazine.
Of course, if someone hadn't invented "spell check" I would be speechless...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"I sometimes wonder if the Gun Mags should have a "page" (near the back) for "new" writers (beginners so to speak). I think would find it interesting at least if reasonably well written. Something other than the same old same old."

Wouldn't that be refreshing! That's a darn fine idea.

(I'd venture there's a lot more to good writing than spelling. Some sensible substance would be high on my list.)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I used to get some of our best stuff from the one-time writers among our readers. Should be so now. Should be encouraged.

One of my greatest pleasures as Editor � and the source of much of my lasting pleasure, memories, and pride � was "discovering" and encouraging new writers (several of whom are world-renowned and well respected today).

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Ken,

I have been reading Handloader and Rifle since the early '80's. And I have acquired most of the back issues. I always enjoyed reading some of the "unknowns". In fact, I planned to do the same when I retired. Been retired now for two years, but you talked me out of going into the writing game. frown I do wish new writers were encouraged as in the days when you were at the helm. smile

Every time my subscriptions are up for renewal, I agonize over whether to renew or not. So far I have, but increasingly I just leaf thru it and toss it on the pile. frown I can't believe I've learned all there is about shooting and reloading, but there is just not much there to hold my interest any more. blush I could count on one hand all the complete articles that I have read straight thru. Usually I think I'll come back to it later, but I rarely do...

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

A
Aldeer Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
A
Now that JB is back, TTT.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You've got to be kidding...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Brad
You've got to be kidding...

grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too liked Sitton's writing. Nothin' much to do with this discussion, but every now and then Sitton "pops up" on some of the older History Channel programs about firearms, when they repeat. Always a joy to see and hear him again.

Been lucky enough to have met a few true wizards in my 60+ plus years. Very few of them came with indiscernible demons.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am glad to see this thread of my friend hasn't died yet. I sure wish there was a way of compiling his works and publishing them too. I would spend my own (limited) money, just to see it done and available..Thats the problem with Copyrights LOL..

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am cuting back on magazine subscriptions; I just don't seem to have time to read them all. BUT, Handloader and Rifle are always renewed - great publications!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
Every time I see this topic come up the first thing I post, is that I'd buy a copy of his collected works in a heart beat if they were ever published.....

Wow time flies looks like I posted this 15 years ago.... Gary was a gifted writer. Still hoping for a collected works publication.

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I spent a lot of my years editing outdoor and gun magazines. I saw the works of many writers. Most were ok. Some were surprisingly bad and clear evidence that editors had been correcting and rewriting their work for years. A very few, like Sitton, were truly gifted.

Not Gary, but I remember one guy who kept sending me manuscripts that I rejected. This was in the brief time I was editor of Handloader and Rifle (that's a story for another day). He grew frustrated at the rejections and explained that he owned and had read more than 100 books on guns, ballistics, and shooting.

"That's great," I said. "But how many books do you own on writing? I'm not publishing your knowledge. I'm buying your writing."

I suggested a half-dozen books on writing. To his credit, he bought and read them, incorporated what he learned into his writing, and I started using his work.

All the way back to when he was at the NSSF, Gary stood out as a wonderful writer. One thing I enjoyed was that he didn't try to make it complicated. No Hemingway-type never-ending sentences. It's still hard to beat the simple, declarative sentence.

Likes lefty rifles. Guntalk in web searches.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Wow time flies looks like I posted this 15 years ago.... Gary was a gifted writer. Still hoping for a collected works publication.

I was thinking the same things just recently while re-reading the back pages of Peterson's Hunting I have stashed away. The year 1997 was one of his best years in the role of the final word of the magazine. As an English major I truly appreciate his writing and as I get older his viewpoint is one I seem to favour more and more.

Sorry I never met him person, or chanced upon him by a campfire, black coffee in hand.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Now that my old friend Tom Gresham has posted on this thread, I'll mention the reasons why a book collection of Gary's columns probably won't appear. First, he isn't around to put one together, and hasn't been for a while--long enough that many of today's younger hunters never heard of him--and are often more tuned in to hunting videos than reading.

Second, for some of the same reasons hunting stories, no matter how well-written, haven't sold as well in either magazines or books. I was discussing this with another old friend, Craig Boddington, a year or two ago, and we've both seen far more emphasis (and hence publishing success) on the technical side of hunting--especially rifles, cartridges and handloading.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Now that my old friend Tom Gresham has posted on this thread, I'll mention the reasons why a book collection of Gary's columns probably won't appear. First, he isn't around to put one together, and hasn't been for a while--long enough that many of today's younger hunters never heard of him--and are often more tuned in to hunting videos than reading.

Second, for some of the same reasons hunting stories, no matter how well-written, haven't sold as well in either magazines or books. I was discussing this with another old friend, Craig Boddington, a year or two ago, and we've both seen far more emphasis (and hence publishing success) on the technical side of hunting--especially rifles, cartridges and handloading.

Sadly, on both counts, our loss.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by TomGresham
I spent a lot of my years editing outdoor and gun magazines. I saw the works of many writers. Most were ok. Some were surprisingly bad and clear evidence that editors had been correcting and rewriting their work for years. A very few, like Sitton, were truly gifted.

Not Gary, but I remember one guy who kept sending me manuscripts that I rejected. This was in the brief time I was editor of Handloader and Rifle (that's a story for another day). He grew frustrated at the rejections and explained that he owned and had read more than 100 books on guns, ballistics, and shooting.

"That's great," I said. "But how many books do you own on writing? I'm not publishing your knowledge. I'm buying your writing."

I suggested a half-dozen books on writing. To his credit, he bought and read them, incorporated what he learned into his writing, and I started using his work.

All the way back to when he was at the NSSF, Gary stood out as a wonderful writer. One thing I enjoyed was that he didn't try to make it complicated. No Hemingway-type never-ending sentences. It's still hard to beat the simple, declarative sentence.
What is the "story for another day" regarding being editor of HANDLOADER and RIFLE? Sounds like an interesting job.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by battue
Then why say it? That's one of the ways heresay get's started.

Battue

"Never let your lips say what you did not see with your own eyes."

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In many instances, hearsay and rumor could be greatly lessened by the providing of facts.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Sitton was a brilliant writer. He would write an entire story about emptying the pockets of his hunting jacket at the end of the season and it was captivating reading. He also wrote columns under the name Jacob Bowers. He is missed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Great to have you stop by Tom.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Interesting take on the current state of shooting sports writing.

When we were growing up, JOC's work was more hunting oriented than technically oriented, while, IIRC, Warren Paige's work was significantly more technically oriented than hunting oriented. JOC was the primary shooting sports writer at Outdoor Life and WP was the primary shooting sports writer at Field & Stream. I liked JOC, while my Father, being more technically oriented, preferred WP. Neither of us were fans of John Jobson at Sports Afield, but I can't remember exactly why, maybe just because 2 magazine subscriptions was felt to be enough.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
In his most recent podcast, Ron Spomer answered a question about how to break in to the outdoor writing field. It's interesting to listen to and read different perspectives on the same.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Gary Sitton was certainly one of the very best shooting and hunting writers. I would say that most people who write about guns and hunting are only passable as writers. They may know a lot about the subject, but few have high level writing skills. Gary Sitton was one of the few who could really write. I would include Mule Deer on that relatively short list.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clay Harvey could really write. I realize he had other issues but he was a master of the written word

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Oh was he now?

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've been a member of DU for as long as I can remember, even though I haven't hunted ducks in years, and I discovered Gordon MacQuarrie when I was in high school. I've lost count of the number of times I've read the Willow Creek Press collection of his writings. For my nickel he was one of the best "hunting story" scribes who ever pecked on a typewriter. As JB said, the technical articles may be more popular now, but I find the stories to be equally enjoyable. It's one of the reasons Sports Afield is at the top of my list as far as print hunting/shooting periodicals is concerned: it has a decent balance of both.

I do miss reading Tom McIntyre's back page though...but we've been through that on a different thread.

Just my $02.

N.B. The most recent issue of Ducks Unlimited arrived in the mail today, and lo and behold there's an article about MacQuarrie. That one will be a keeper.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I think Petersen's Hunting had a pretty good line up mid 80's early 90's. Sitton, Milek, Boddington, and Wooters, pretty easy to go cover to cover. I have 5-6 of JB's books, but my all time favorite is Jim Carmichael. One writer that I don't hear much about is Hugh Birnbaum. Hugh wrote for the American Rifleman for a while and shortly before he passed, he was the optics editor for Shooting Times. Hugh had a pretty dry sence of humor that cracked me up.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
When we were growing up, JOC's work was more hunting oriented than technically oriented, while, IIRC, Warren Paige's work was significantly more technically oriented than hunting oriented. JOC was the primary shooting sports writer at Outdoor Life and WP was the primary shooting sports writer at Field & Stream. I liked JOC, while my Father, being more technically oriented, preferred WP. Neither of us were fans of John Jobson at Sports Afield, but I can't remember exactly why, maybe just because 2 magazine subscriptions was felt to be enough.

John Jobson was NOT the shooting/hunting columnist at Sports Afield. Instead he was the camping columnist, back when each of the so-called Big Three outdoor magazines--Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield--all had camping columns, along with fishing, boating, etc. This was before the so-called "vertical" magazines started appearing which specialized in certain subjects. Handloader and Rifle were a couple of examples, but for a while there was also a magazine totally devoted to crappie fishing, believe it or not.

I liked John Jobson's firearms and hunting stuff a lot--and never could understand why he wasn't the "shooting" columnist at SA. The guy who was in those years, Pete Brown, had a lot of technical knowledge--much of it acquired during his military career--but his writing was flat and boring. I suspect Jobson might not have wanted to be the shooting columnist, because a lot of what SA ran back then, via Brown, was results of major competitive shotgun events. (Plus, I don't recall anything by Jobson about shotgunning or bird-hunting.) Which was part of the reason SA was a rather distant 3rd place in circulation behind F&S and OL.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moosemike
Clay Harvey could really write. I realize he had other issues but he was a master of the written word

A "master of the written word?" We're going to have to completely disagree on that.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M

I thought Clay Harvey's writing sucked. He was one of those who used too many words, and too many big words (something called "over-writing" by many), which got in the way of the story-line, whether it was technical or a hunting tale.

But that's a matter of taste--though it also tended to obscure how little actual experience he actually had. I had a copy of his book Popular Sporting Rifle Cartridges for a while, but after reading it a couple times realized he'd never hunted with about half of the rounds he wrote chapters on--and maybe never even fired a rifle chambered in some of 'em.

That's aside from him selling a bunch of guns loaned to him by various manufacturers, and some of his "adventures" in the hunting fields. On one of my safaris I was guided by a PH who'd guided Harvey, and when he found out I was a gun and hunting writer his eyes narrowed. The stuff he told me about Harvey is too long to list here, but let's just say Mr. Clay was roundly despised not only by my PH but the rest of the safari camp staff who'd been on that hunt.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As a more general comment, it would be very difficult to find a publisher willing to put together a collection of Gary Sitton's writing. Aside from the reasons already mentioned, publishing actual books is pretty expensive, even paperbacks, which both Tom Gresham and I know about personally--and it's based on how many they might sell.

I know a few people on this thread say they'd buy one, but it takes more than a handful to make a book profitable, especially a book actually printed rather than a cyberspace edition. But even a e-book would require somebody to put it together, which requires finding the printed articles and stories, then turning them into a suitable computer form--which would take considerable work and even expense, whether for scanning the words or actually having somebody type them into a computer. Even then breaking even might be doubtful. A PDF version of the actual original articles might be easiest, but also tends to be easily "pirated."

If somebody wants to take all that on, there are ways to do it. But Eileen and I have been teaching a monthly adult-education class for around 15 years to people who want to get paid for their writing, and these days a lot of the class is about self-publishing, whether on an Internet website or as a printed book. It can definitely work, and we can provide advice to somebody who might want to put together a collection of Gary's stuff. But it would be a real long-shot, given the realities of today's market.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I spent a lot of my years editing outdoor and gun magazines. I saw the works of many writers. Most were ok. Gary stood out as a wonderful writer. One thing I enjoyed was that he didn't try to make it complicated. No Hemingway-type never-ending sentences. It's still hard to beat the simple, declarative sentence.

I think of Faulkner as the king of run on sentences and Hemingway as using very short descriptive sentence structure?

Anyway thanks for posting. It's been a long time since I read either author. Faulkner's The Bear is probably the work of outdoor literature I was most impressed with ever.

https://www.bartleby.com/essay/The-Bear-by-William-Faulkner-F3JAVJ23TJ

William Faulkner’s novella “The Bear” from his collection of works, Go Down Moses, is a symbolic exploration of the relationship between man and nature in the eyes of a young boy. The heart of the issue, the warped idea of the ownership of land, is revealed thought the clash of man and nature in a wild chase that ends only in blood and death. The prey is nature itself, represented by a bear, while the hunters are men, full of greed and destructive possessiveness, pursuing that which they do not understand. Ike’s idea of the bear, presented in section 1 of the novella, expresses the idea of symbolism in relation to the bear and to the hunters and what the battle between the two represents. The bear itself, Old Ben, is a symbol for…show more content…
Upon his first encounter with the woods, Ike is lost in wonder, it has been his dream for as long as he could remember to join the men on the hunt and explore the beauty of the big woods. What sets Ike apart from the other men, however, is his wonder of the wilderness, not just of its size, but of what mysteries it contains. When he arrives he feels the need “to earn for himself from the wilderness the name and state of hunter provided he in his term were humble and enduring enough.” (192) Ike doesn’t desire the approval of any of the other hunter, his cousin, or even his wise mentor Sam Fathers. Instead he knows that the right to claim the name of hunter lies in earning the approval “from the wilderness” and to do so he must be “humble and enduring.” (192) Those words do not seem to fit with the violent acts of the other hunters; to them the ability to shoot and kill is all that really matters, hence the disrespect for Boon and the position of Walter Ewell as a senior hunter. By using gentle words Faulkner states that there is more to “hunting” than killing, what Ike desires and seeks to prove himself worthy of is belonging to nature, to feel its beauty and strength running through him. Without this sense of approval and belonging from the woods, Ike feels he is unworthy to take the life of an animal and to use what he has gained from death to

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

John Jobson was NOT the shooting/hunting columnist at Sports Afield. Instead he was the camping columnist, back when each of the so-called Big Three outdoor magazines--Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield--all had camping columns, along with fishing, boating, etc. This was before the so-called "vertical" magazines started appearing which specialized in certain subjects. Handloader and Rifle were a couple of examples, but for a while there was also a magazine totally devoted to crappie fishing, believe it or not.

I liked John Jobson's firearms and hunting stuff a lot--and never could understand why he wasn't the "shooting" columnist at SA. The guy who was in those years, Pete Brown, had a lot of technical knowledge--much of it acquired during his military career--but his writing was flat and boring. I suspect Jobson might not have wanted to be the shooting columnist, because a lot of what SA ran back then, via Brown, was results of major competitive shotgun events. (Plus, I don't recall anything by Jobson about shotgunning or bird-hunting.) Which was part of the reason SA was a rather distant 3rd place in circulation behind F&S and OL.

I don't remember Pete Brown at all, just Jobson, but we didn't have a subscription to SA so the only time that I saw a copy of SA was at the barber shop every 6 weeks.

I do remember that my Father was also a fan of a guy name Pete Kuhlhoff who wrote for Argosy. Kuhlhoff was a serious 'chuck hunter and they had mutual friends in that northeastern hunting circle, so maybe that is why he liked him.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I have a number of Hunting Horizons magazines. Excellent magazines that featured a fair bit of Sitton's work.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Perhaps of no interest to anyone other than me, but I think Dad and I may have been the only father-son duo to write monthly columns for a national outdoor magazine. Could be wrong.

He was Shooting Editor of Sports Afield for 27 years. I was Arms and Ammo editor for a half dozen of those years. We worked out of the same office and I did much of the photography for his columns. It was a fun time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I enjoyed the writings of you and your father!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I spent way too much on a copy of "The Best of John Jobson." It was worth every penny.

K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by 300_savage

I spent way too much on a copy of "The Best of John Jobson." It was worth every penny.

I agree. One of the best books in my library.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
K
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I would love to read a collection of Gary Sitton's articles.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
W
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by kandpand

At one point in time I had decades worth of Petersen's Hunting magazines which included all of Sitton's columns under his name and his "pen name" Jacob Bowers. Sadly, I threw them all out to make room for other things. Sure wish I didn't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went the other direction and bought all the Back Pages from someone who wanted to get rid of his stash of PH magazines. Then I traded for the missing pages with another Sitton fan.

The pages make for an interesting study in the arc of the great writer. smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Brad

A "master of the written word?" We're going to have to completely disagree on that.
Well I'm not saying he's in Big Sticks league but he was pretty well spoken

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Thinking about Ken's comment on "one time" writers ...

When I was editor of Alaska Magazine I told the staff that we really wanted submissions from those living in 'The Bush,' because those were authentic. It required more work on the editing side, but if we could get a manuscript written in crayon on cut up paper grocery bags, that was perfect! wink

One time I published the article PLUS the cover letter which came with it.

This was about 1985. Pretty much pre-internet. The story was from a man who worked on a tugboat in Valdez. The cover letter told as much about living on the tugs which moved the tankers as the story did.

He explained: "We couldn't find a dictionary on any of the boats, so we all got together and voted on the hard words."

You just gotta love that.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do remember once asking Dave Scovill , when he was still editing Wolfe Publishing, about Gary and his comment was something to the effect that he personally had finally got rid of him !

Although one of Dave’s favorite evening pastimes seemed to be bragging about all the writers he had fired !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WarAdmiral
Originally Posted by kandpand

At one point in time I had decades worth of Petersen's Hunting magazines which included all of Sitton's columns under his name and his "pen name" Jacob Bowers. Sadly, I threw them all out to make room for other things. Sure wish I didn't.

Me too. I had lots of magazines that had columns I miss. I gave them all to my local gun club when I retired and moved from Kalifornia to the USA.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by 458Win
I do remember once asking Dave Scovill , when he was still editing Wolfe Publishing, about Gary and his comment was something to the effect that he personally had finally got rid of him !

Although one of Dave’s favorite evening pastimes seemed to be bragging about all the writers he had fired !

Doesn't sound like Scovill was a very nice guy

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jwp475

Dave's writing always gave the impression that he was pretty impressed with Dave.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Phil, thanks for telling it like it is !!!

"not too grumpy"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=260Remguy] When we were growing up, JOC's work was more hunting oriented than technically oriented, while, IIRC, Warren Paige's work was significantly more technically oriented than hunting oriented. JOC was the primary shooting sports writer at Outdoor Life and WP was the primary shooting sports writer at Field & Stream. I liked JOC, while my Father, being more technically oriented, preferred WP. Neither of us were fans of John Jobson at Sports Afield, but I can't remember exactly why, maybe just because 2 magazine subscriptions was felt to be enough.

John Jobson was NOT the shooting/hunting columnist at Sports Afield. Instead he was the camping columnist, back when each of the so-called Big Three outdoor magazines--Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield--all had camping columns, along with fishing, boating, etc.

I was a big fan of Jobson's monthly camping articles back in the late 1960's-early 70's when I was a kid, especially an article about the Whelen lean-to tent.
I couldn't afford one, but did improvise one by rigging up a tarp and building a fire in front of it to warm it during my fall/ winter camping "adventures".
That was real camping to me back then.

"No good deed shall go unpunished!"
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

Interesting story! Although Gary Sitton might have been a great writer, perhaps he was not easy to work with for an editor.

Or perhaps Dave wasn't so easy to work with either.

For those of us on the outside of the business, we can only guess.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I did a little Googling and found this collection of comments about Gary from various people who knew him:

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gary+Sitton%3A+1944-2005.-a0141170872

I found the comment on his being a magazine editor interesting, because he was the editor of Petersen's Hunting when I sold my first article to the magazine in 1977.

Like EdM, I have some copies of the relatively short-lived Wolfe publication Hunting Horizons, because it appeared shortly after I started writing for Wolfe in the early 1990s. (My article about canoe-hunting the Missouri Breaks for mule deer appeared in the first issue.) According to the masthead listings, Gary served as the "managing" editor for at least one edition--which in the business is generally the role of whoever actually deals with the day-to-day assigning of specific articles, along with deadlines. The head editor is usually the person in charge of the overall "flavor" of the magazine.

Don't know why the link posted doesn't work just by clicking on it--but it does if you copy and paste it.

John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for supplying those comments John. Although I never met Gary Sitton, the comments don't surprise me based on reading a bunch of his articles. Sounds like he was a bit of a character, which is not uncommon for gifted people.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by JeffyD
[quote=260Remguy] When we were growing up, JOC's work was more hunting oriented than technically oriented, while, IIRC, Warren Paige's work was significantly more technically oriented than hunting oriented. JOC was the primary shooting sports writer at Outdoor Life and WP was the primary shooting sports writer at Field & Stream. I liked JOC, while my Father, being more technically oriented, preferred WP. Neither of us were fans of John Jobson at Sports Afield, but I can't remember exactly why, maybe just because 2 magazine subscriptions was felt to be enough.

John Jobson was NOT the shooting/hunting columnist at Sports Afield. Instead he was the camping columnist, back when each of the so-called Big Three outdoor magazines--Field & Stream, Outdoor Life and Sports Afield--all had camping columns, along with fishing, boating, etc.

I was a big fan of Jobson's monthly camping articles back in the late 1960's-early 70's when I was a kid, especially an article about the Whelen lean-to tent.
I couldn't afford one, but did improvise one by rigging up a tarp and building a fire in front of it to warm it during my fall/ winter camping "adventures".

I did basically the same thing--especially after synthetic 2-sided tarps with a "silver" reflecting side appeared. It was pretty comfortable!

Plus, the tarps are very light, which is why I always have one even in hunting daypack, just in case I have to spend a night in the local mountains....

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I did a little Googling and found this collection of comments about Gary from various people who knew him:

I found the comment on his being a magazine editor interesting, because he was the editor of Petersen's Hunting when I sold my first article to the magazine in 1977.

Like EdM, I have some copies of the relatively short-lived Wolfe publication Hunting Horizons, because it appeared shortly after I started writing for Wolfe in the early 1990s. (My article about canoe-hunting the Missouri Breaks for mule deer appeared in the first issue.) According to the masthead listings, Gary served as the "managing" editor for at least one edition--which in the business is generally the role of whoever actually deals with the day-to-day assigning of specific articles, along with deadlines. The head editor is usually the person in charge of the overall "flavor" of the magazine.

Don't know why the link posted doesn't work just by clicking on it--but it does if you copy and paste it.

I recall your piece on lightweight rifles (Gentry 280 IIRC) that kind of sent me down that road.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by jwp475

He could be--though not always.

But he was one of the major reasons Handloader and Rifle became so successful. They were started by Dave Wolfe in the 1970s. He made his major money elsewhere, apparently in aviation, and the magazines allowed him to write off his firearms expenses for tax purposes. Their paid circulation never exceeded around 10,000 copies a year (which ain't much) until he sold the magazines to the art director, Mark Harris, who hired Scovill as editor. (Dave had been writing articles for them for a few years, mostly on cast bullets and handguns.)

Up until then they paid very little, and in fact probably half the articles were written by readers. At the time they had color covers, but all article photos were black and white. Scovill persuaded Harris to run color photos inside the magazine, and pay more for articles, in order to attract better writers. Which was when I started writing for them, along with others, including Phil. This attracted far more readers, and circulation and advertising both increased considerably--in large part thanks to Dave.

But he always did have a high opinion of himself, to the point where he and Mark had some serious talks about who exactly ran the company. But between Dave's ideas and Mark's backing of many, they became much larger and more profitable magazines.

That sort of "balance" often occurs in the publishing business--and other businesses. When it works, it works--regardless of whether the people are always "nice guys."

John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I began reading gun articles in all the gun magazines in about 1962, long before Gary Sitton's work appeared in any of the publications. I remember some of his articles as being good ones, but whether he'd be in the same league as gunwriters like Bob Hagel, Ken Waters, and a select few others, I don't know. Perhaps I lack the insight that others here have. I don't remember how long his gunwriting career lasted.

As for the Scovill comments, in addition to what Mule Deer wrote, I think it's important to remember that Scovill was editor for around twenty years, so he was probably doing much that was right for the business despite the alleged expert critics proclaiming otherwise. He improved on what his predecessors did with the publications, though Al Miller did a pretty outstanding job. I won't comment on his follower as apparently many here still read the magazines and they're up on this sort of thing and have their own opinions on the matter.

Dave Scovill wasn't a perfect person, sort of like many of us here, but he had enough of whatever it takes to survive well in a difficult business. He was very open to article suggestions from unknown sources and free with his time to the inquisitive (yes, he was a talker). If you needed suggestions, he was helpful. He didn't get in your way with publishing policies and trivialities and 99% of the time published articles exactly as they were submitted to him. Scovill was largely a great asset to Wolfe Publishing.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think Gary's big strength was gun writing, but story-telling. He knew considerable stuff about hunting firearms, but wasn't the most technically oriented writer. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I worked out my 4-to-1 Rule for how much powder capacity affects velocity in different cases for the same bullet diameter was due to an article he did on a new .35 Whelen Ackley Improved he'd acquired.

He assumed that any increase in powder room, as in "blowing out" the .35 Whelen would result in the percentage of increase in muzzle velocity. It doesn't work that way, and the easy example I often give is the .308 Winchester and the the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum--which has just about twice as much powder room as the .308. But the .300 RUM does NOT get twice as much velocity. If it did, 180-grain bullets would be going over 5000 fps. Instead its gets just about 1/4 more velocity.

But that's OK, because Gary also wrote plenty of "articles" about hunting guns that were very good stories....

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gary Sitton was indeed an excellent story teller. He, Skeeter and a very few others have/had the knack for getting in a gunner's heart as well as his head.

Direct Impingement is the Fart Joke of military rifle operating systems. ⓒ
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I don't think Gary's big strength was gun writing, but story-telling. He knew considerable stuff about hunting firearms, but wasn't the most technically oriented writer. As a matter of fact, one of the reasons I worked out my 4-to-1 Rule for how much powder capacity affects velocity in different cases for the same bullet diameter was due to an article he did on a new .35 Whelen Ackley Improved he'd acquired.

He assumed that any increase in powder room, as in "blowing out" the .35 Whelen would result in the percentage of increase in muzzle velocity. It doesn't work that way, and the easy example I often give is the .308 Winchester and the the .300 Remington Ultra Magnum--which has just about twice as much powder room as the .308. But the .300 RUM does NOT get twice as much velocity. If it did, 180-grain bullets would be going over 5000 fps. Instead its gets just about 1/4 more velocity.

But that's OK, because Gary also wrote plenty of "articles" about hunting guns that were very good stories....

I've found the 4-to-1 Rule very helpful.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

Based on the correspondence he had with Jack O'Connor (and some comments by O'Connor in "The Last Book") John Jobson seemed to be a mercurial sort who wrote when he felt like it and wasn't overly concerned with deadlines. Probably drove his editors up the wall.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jobson also had diabetes, which tends to result in "mercurial" behavior.

In one of my copies of Hunting Horizons, the 5th edition published in 1993, Sitton was listed as "Executive Editor," underneath Scovill as "Editor." This pretty much means that Gary was hired due to Scovill being over-worked at the time, when the company was rapidly growing.

My one experience with Gary as an editor was when, as mentioned in a previous post, bought my first article for Petersen's Hunting. But as also mentioned by somebody in the link I posted, he wasn't very responsive as an editor: "As an editor he was the worst procrastinator I ever knew, but as a writer he was the greatest talent this business has ever seen. He would almost never write his editorial until the absolute-last minute. Then, after a martini-fortified lunch, he'd lock himself in his office for a couple of hours and come out with something consistently brilliant."

I'd sent Sitton what's known as "query letter," proposing an article. When I didn't get a response within six weeks, I wrote him again--which is what my major mentor in the business, Norm Strung, suggested. (Norm was a very successful writer, both with magazines and books.)

As I recall, Gary's response was that his first obligation was to take care of the staff writers--though he did eventually assign me the article. This was back when probably 3/4 of the content of most hunting/shooting magazines was supplied by freelancers, rather than staffers--which is the opposite of today. In fact some magazines only use staff writers, which does reduce the editor's work-load.

So my guess is that Gary didn't really lean into editing Hunting Horizons as much as Scovill (and Mark Harris) desired.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I really enjoyed Gary's writing. Maybe because I like a good story as much as anything. To me, I'm n many ways, a good story I'd what hunting is about. I grew up listening to stories in deer camp and reading stories in mags.

I'm diabetic so maybe I'm "mercurial".....need to find my dictionary.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Rickshaw,

My father got Type 1 diabetes when he was 11 years old, only five years after insulin was first synthesized. Otherwise he wouldn't have survived.

I grew up in the 1950s and 60s, when controlling diabetes wasn't nearly as sophisticated as it is today--or in John Jobson's time. Which is how I know the highs and lows in blood sugar can alter somebody's mood, sometimes within a few hours.

He and my mother had four kids, two of which eventually became Type 1 diabetics as well, my brother (two years younger) and my sister born a year after him. She passed away four years ago at 62, partly from complications. Oh, and my father's brother Larry also developed Type 1 diabetes in his early 60s.

Luckily, neither I or my youngest sister have ever shown any sign of it--so far.

John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Hey JB, you are very right about how blood sugar can affect someone.

It's pretty much a constant struggle, though we are blessed with today's technology and understanding.

Diabetic or not, I like a good story. They may not pay in today's market, but they sure stick over time.

I appreciate the stories you have published. Been blessed to be there with you in spirit.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Jb, Your observations about Diabetes are so true !! I have walked on that knife's edge for many years, having been "set right" by a wise doctor in the early years. I've seen what happened to family members that were careless & your description of "mood swings" are correct !!

"not too grumpy"
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
My father was particularly prone to mood swings, and not only because diabetes couldn't be controlled then as it is today, but because back then many doctors didn't advise diabetics very well. Instead they often told them they might as well eat, drink, etc. like they wanted, because they weren't going to live very long anyway.

In fact our family doctor when I was kid essentially said this, so my father didn't take very good care of himself, including being a heavy cigarette smoker. But back then a lot of people were. In fact our doctor smoked--until the 1964 surgeon general's report appeared, when he quit cold-turkey.

My father quit cold-turkey after his first heart attack at age 40, and also watched his diet far better, losing a bunch of weight. But by then it was too late, and he died from his second heart attack four years later. My brother has been a lot better about his diet, and is doing pretty well at 68.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JB - Sorry to hear you lost your father at such a young age.

Diabetes is a hideous disease, but thankfully modern medicine can do wonders for those who are diagnosed early, are treated well, and compliant.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I lost my dad to a heart attack when I was 27.It left a large hole. Thanks to a wise doctor's prescriptions, I'm 10 years older than my dad was and my youngest son is 37. I have known my grandchildren .

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
65BR,

Thanks for your condolence. It happened a month before my 17th birthday--but I had already left home, becoming a ranch hand, partly due to his mood swings. But also already wanted to be a writer, and knew that experiencing the world was a requirement.

But he was an English and history professor, and like many such professors also did some writing on the side. I wanted to do it for a living, not part time. Often wonder what he would have thought about how things turned out--and even now, occasionally even have dreams where we've talked about it!

But I was also lucky in that his older brother, Larry, was also an English professor, and published a couple of highly regarded books. He lived 150 miles away, and also became a great mentor. It always helps to have that sort of extended family....

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by downwindtracker2
I lost my dad to a heart attack when I was 27.It left a large hole. Thanks to a wise doctor's prescriptions, I'm 10 years older than my dad was and my youngest son is 37. I have known my grandchildren .

Sorry to hear that--but glad you know your grandchildren!

The death of a parent always leaves a large hole. My mother outlived my father by 44 years, passing away at 88 in 2012.

Have mentioned this before, but there was a large memorial service in Boise, where they moved in 1968, a year before he died. One of the many people who attended was Brian Pierce, my fellow gun writer and friend. Among the other things he said was, "We never really grow up until both are parents are gone."

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The memory of parents inevitably affects all of us. My mother died when I was 4 (she was only 36) and my father died the year I returned from Vietnam and was 22. He was only 54 but had been a heavy smoker his entire life and was a type A worrier , although a patient and devoted father.
My goal is to outlive the two of them .

I also wanted to reiterate what Mule Deer had written about Scovill. As editor Dave did a commendable job and well earned his retirement. He is an intelligent man and, like so many in the industry, also has an outsized ego.
But, as a former Navel officer, he didn’t suffer fools and was certainly not in the industry to make friends.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JeffyD

Works just as well today as it did 100 years ago. Summer backpacking trip - no fire but, check out the spruce bow bed, luxurious.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

A link worth repeating.

Gary Sitton: 1944-2005. - www.thefreelibrary.com

Thanks for posting it Mule Deer. Good thread.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To prove the link works now:
Title Annotation: Backtracking
Author: Miller, Payton
Publication: Petersen's Hunting
Date: Feb 1, 2006
Words: 769

Gary Sitton: 1944-2005.

Link/Page Citation
Page URL: https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Gary+Sitton%3a+1944-2005.-a0141170872

Open-mindedness is vastly overrated. Arriving at old age with a completely open mind may not be much of a character reference; it might mean you never cared very strongly about anything that ever happened to you.--Gary Sitton

On October 8, 2005, the shooting and hunting community lost a guy who did care strongly about things.

Gary Sitton passed away at age 61 in Tucson, Arizona, of pancreatic cancer. In the opinion of most gunwriters I've ever been associated with, he was the best in the business.

I worked--and hunted--with Gary in the late 1970s and early 1980s when he was the editor of Petersen's Hunting.

He was legendary for acerbic, irreverent one-liners; insightful opinions pertaining to guns, gear and hunting; and wry, well-crafted prose. He was also one of the "most fun to be around" guys I've ever known. And he could shoot.

I hunted whitetail in South Texas with him in 1980 and, after watching him make a fantastic shot with a borrowed Ruger No. 1 in .243 on a big buck running fiat-out at just over 200 yards, I congratulated him effusively.

"Hell," he replied, "making the shot isn't the hard thing. The tough part comes afterward, when you've gotta act like you make those kinds of shots all the time."

After Gary left the L.A. area for Arizona, I managed to keep in touch with him over the years, mainly by phone and by bumping into him at various trade Shows. And no matter how long it'd been since I'd seen him last, he always had me convulsing with laughter within seconds after shaking hands.

Now it's time for me to get off the stage and turn things over to some long-time friends of Gary's.

"Despite his attempts to be a grumpy old gun writer, Gary was kind in the extreme to women, children and guys who were not up to his speed but nevertheless aspiring men of the gun. If, on the other hand, he counted you among his peers, you could expect no mercy from his dry wit.

"One particular December morning several years ago on the Baggett Ranch, Penn Baggett arrived at the hunters' camp wearing short pants, only to have Sitton announce to the group that 'Normally, you would have to go to a nursing home to see legs like that.'--Ashley Emerson

"I knew and worked with Gary Sitton for a number of years and always felt he was one of the best, most literate and knowledgeable gun writers in the business. He had the capacity for drawing the reader into the subject matter and never talked down to his audience. We also spent a number of leisure hours together, and Gary was always affable and pleasant to be with.

"Like all of us, he had a few demons to deal with, but he always handled them with style. Though his output in recent years had been limited, there is no doubt in my mind that he will go down as one of the greats. He'll be sorely missed on a personal and professional level."--Garry James

"As an editor he was the worst procrastinator I ever knew, but as a writer he was the greatest talent this business has ever seen. He would almost never write his editorial until the absolute-last minute. Then, after a martini-fortified lunch, he'd lock himself in his office for a couple of hours and come out with something consistently brilliant.

"I think Gary was almost too good, certainly for our business. He agonized over every word, fought his demons and was periodically plagued by writer's block and the worst story he ever wrote was vastly better than anything I have ever done or ever will do."--Craig Boddington

"From the time G. 'Bear' Sitton first came to the ranch to hunt in the fall of '94, we became close and then closer. I enjoyed Sitton's writing, especially his gift for saying much with few words. We hunted together many times after that, and although he said little, he was never verbally disadvantaged in camp, even around such world-class storytellers as John Wootters, Bill Jordan, Jim Wilson, John Taffin and Bart Skelton. Sitton usually got the last word. I admired his giant intellect and kind heart, and we shared some common frailties.

"His wit was quick, sharp and smooth, even to the end. A few days before he died, his pain medication had been increased substantially. When I asked him how it was working, he said, 'Wonderfully--I think I'm beginning to feel like a Democrat.' My world is poorer for his passing."--Penn Baggett

COPYRIGHT 2006 InterMedia Outdoors, Inc.
No portion of this article can be reproduced without the express written permission from the copyright holder.
Copyright 2006 Gale, Cengage Learning. All rights reserved.

Ron aka "Rip" for Riflecrank Internationale Permanente
NRA Life Benefactor and Beneficiary
.458 Winchester Magnum, Magnanimous in Victory
THE WALKING DEAD does so remind me of Democrap voters. Donkeypox.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Demons ! Pancreatic cancer is a bad one.

Posted - 10/08/2005 : 13:59:05
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Penn Baggett:

Gary Sitton passed away this morning at 9:35 AM. He was home with his wife Susan, Stepdaughter Lisa, myself, and a hospice nurse. He was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in August, and prayerfully elected hospice care over extreme medical alternatives with poor prognosis.

Penn

When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace - Luke 11:21

From Mrs. Sitton, a year after Gary's passing:

Gary Sitton Obituary

Remembering You Gary "Bear" Sitton Oct 25, 1944 - Oct 8, 2005 I can't believe a year has passed since you went home to be with the Lord. I miss you so much, sweetheart. Thank you for sharing your life and your death with me. Thank you for loving me like nobody else ever could. Thank you for the incredible strength and faith you showed me and everyone you knew. Thank you for influencing your son, Josh, my brother Bob and his wife to accept the Lord. Thank you for blessing so many people with your gift of writing. Thank you for wonderful memories, your quick wit, brilliant mind and a love that will endure in my heart forever. I am at peace knowing you are in heaven and I will see you again. Your loving wife, Susan

[Linked Image]

https://www.legacy.com/us/obituaries/tucson/name/gary-sitton-obituary?id=25925592

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Payton Miller changed his telling of the Gary Sitton story with the borrowed Ruger No. 1 .234.
This time it was a borrowed Husqvarna .243, but much more richly detailed otherwise:

https://gunsmagazine.com/guns-insider-2/better-lucky-than-good/

When it comes to those “lifetime” shots, I’ll admit to doing more witnessing than actual trigger pulling. But if you’re lucky enough to have an audience when your moment of glory arrives, be aware there’s a certain etiquette involved. And it gets perilously close to “humblebrag” territory.

The technique was best demonstrated to me many years ago by the late, great gunwriter Gary Sitton. He’d just made a fantastic 225-yard running shot—using a borrowed Husqvarna .243—on a nice whitetail buck running flat out in a dry South Texas creekbed with only his top half exposed. One offhand whack, one big dusty cartwheel and it was a done deal.

The outfitter and I—after we finished whooping and hollering—were struck by Gary’s apparent nonchalance as he ambled casually down the hill toward the creekbed, even stopping to rummage around in a coat pocket for his smokes. But as he ’fessed up to me later back in Del Rio, “It shocked the hell out of me too. But the real hard part came right after,” he said. “I mean, being able to act as if you make those kinda shots all the time.”

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great Rabbit Hole. One of the reasons the Fire has been such an informative place to visit since way too long ago. Thanks to those that added detail to this thread. If a works book is not likely at least a thread of remembrances adds to the short obituary.
Good writing is hard. It’s a shame that some of the best is in magazines that as a storage medium seem to have less longevity than books.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by ULA24
he was great. I had heard that substance abuse was involved but that is only heresay,

“Never repeat what your eyes did not see nor your ears hear.”
Phil Robertson

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really, really enjoyed Gary Sitton’s writing and I read his work in any publication I could find. The height of his writing corresponded with, and to an extent he was a part of, a large caliber, heavy bullet trend for hunting. It was a period in which SD was king and if your bullet’s SD was much less than .3, you were doing it wrong. .30-06s were min for deer and if you didn’t have a .338 WM, you prob couldn’t kill an elk, though a .35 Whelen with 250s was ok if you were in the woods. I digress. In one of my publications I read an article from a writer I wasn’t familiar with named John Barsness who had written an article that was sort of a call to “stop the SD madness”. I enjoyed Gary Sitton’s work until he passed and have enjoyed John Barsness’ work since that article back in the ‘90s.

Expat

"There are no dangerous weapons. There are only dangerous men." - Robert Heinlein
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks!

Since rereading this entire thread this morning, and noticing how many people missed Gary's work, I remembered having a collection of Petersen's Hunting magazines from that era--because I was also a staff writer for PH in the 1990s, after Craig Boddington hired me to write it's first optics column in 1990--but also do some feature articles. Gary started writing the back page during that era, and also feature articles.

I just did some looking in our basement--which is full of too much stuff, due to moving into this house over 25 years ago, and like a many couples we've lived in increasingly larger houses since getting married 40 years ago.If anybody's interested in the G. Sitton/Jacob Bowers Petersen's Huntings I'd be willing to send 'em for the cost of "media mail" shipping, which is relatively inexpensive.

We're consciously starting to "downsize" before we get too old to deal with all our stuff and somebody else has to. One of the bad habits of writers who started back in the days before computers and the Internet is keeping published copies of everything they wrote....

John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
I just did some looking in our basement--which is full of too much stuff, due to moving into this house over 25 years ago, and like a many couples we've lived in increasingly larger houses since getting married 40 years ago.If anybody's interested in the G. Sitton/Jacob Bowers Petersen's Huntings I'd be willing to send 'em for the cost of "media mail" shipping, which is relatively inexpensive.

PM sent

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I just read through this thread, and it was time well spent. I have to confess, though I have been reading outdoor articles for at least 65 years, I honestly paid little attention as to who wrote them. How strange is that? If I enjoyed the story or was interested in the subject, I read it. Occasionally, writing style got in the way. Sometimes, the writer's personality shone through and rubbed me the wrong way; in this case I would be more likely to take note of who wrote it. Charles Askins, for instance, annoyed me considerably, and I would avoid his articles unless the subject matter overrode my aversion.
MD's comment on the reduced popularity of hunting stories, as opposed to technical articles, hits the mark, as I think about it. It almost seems the readers are reading as consumers rather than as hunters. I do know, the best hunting stories I have heard, or read, were enthralling enough that no mention of the equipment used was necessary. I like stories like this. This is not to say I don't like technical articles at all; I do, and the writer who can mix a little technical information in with a good adventure story will have my attention.
For those who are still writing, I'll try to pay more attention to your names, even if I like your writing! GD 

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Regarding Stuff.........
I also kept printed copies of published work as well as anything else I came across and liked, but fortunately for me, had a basement flood and a lot of it was damaged, badly.

The solution was to retain the undamaged in those large plastic containers and not catalogue it, that way I'll never know what I lost. My sons can go through it one day and read about hunts, many including family members now also gone.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I enjoyed reading Mr Sitton's writings very much. I remember the article of the borrowed "Ruger #1, .243" that he used on those white tails in S. Texas. I also liked his review of Hawk Bullets, which influenced me to try them in several rifles. he directly influenced my use/love of "Medium" bores, heavy for caliber bullets, i.e. his article on the 35 Whelan Ackley Improved especially, for elk. I miss his writing, of course, and all the old writers too. As mentioned, Col Askins WAS "different", lol, but I admire and enjoy strong, opinionated people. I understand them. I learn from them "despite" the "real person, or rough personality".

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
But for the grace of God, there go I....

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 12savage, 10ring1, 69 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,912
Posts18,479,552
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.