Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
How well does Acraglas hold up to bore solvents? I read somewhere Acraglas will soften up if exposed to bore solvents after awhile.

Prefer Marine Tex over Acraglas myself.

MtnHtr

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I guess it depends upon one's definition of "awhile." smile

I've also never really understood how one goes about getting bore solvent soaked into the bedding of their rifle.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A real good way to do your own tests of epoxies is to get a plastic ice cube tray and fill that sucker up with every type you want to test. Then take the epoxy cubes and soak them in bore solvents...bang on them with a hammer...try to crush them in a vice...etc.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have been using Marine Tex from Brownells lately and I like it better than anything else that I have used and I have used about all of them...It is a 5x1 mix and thats a tad more trouble but short cuts never work best in gun making anyway..

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickB

I've also never really understood how one goes about getting bore solvent soaked into the bedding of their rifle.

Even with a bore guide it only takes a little bit of solvent to run down thru the front guard screw threads and into the bedding. Solvent is pretty thin and tends to migrate thru the tightest spots. I would rather have a solvent proof bedding compound like Marine Tex and not take chances. I usually place a small piece of cotton under my bore guide just in case.

Try placing a drop of solvent inside your action just in front the chamber, wait a few minutes and pull the action.

There are a few gunsmithing/bedding videos where the author states the bedding should always be checked for solvent contamination. It's more common than you think.

MtnHtr

Last edited by Mtn Hunter; 05/13/08. Reason: Added some info

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe off topic, but does anyone know the type of glue used to glue brake pads to brake shoes for cars and trucks?

This stuff seems to be heat resistant and about everything else resistant.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter

Even with a bore guide it only takes a little bit of solvent to run down thru the front guard screw threads and into the bedding. Solvent is pretty thin and tends to migrate thru the tightest spots. I would rather have a solvent proof bedding compound like Marine Tex and not take chances. I usually place a small piece of cotton under my bore guide just in case.

Try placing a drop of solvent inside your action just in front the chamber, wait a few minutes and pull the action.

There are a few gunsmithing/bedding videos where the author states the bedding should always be checked for solvent contamination. It's more common than you think.

MtnHtr

You ever consider turning your rifle upside down when running wet patches? Back in the dark ages when I was a 17 year old recruit at MCRD our Drill Instructors taught us that trick to keep solvent out of the action and stock of our M14's. smile

Wasn't it Will Rodgers that said the problem with common sense is that it ain't all that common?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 1234567
Maybe off topic, but does anyone know the type of glue used to glue brake pads to brake shoes for cars and trucks?

This stuff seems to be heat resistant and about everything else resistant.

It's normally a silicon based adhesive and it acts as a dampener and heat block as well as an adhesive.

Great for brake pads...but not exactly what is needed for bedding a rifle stock.

The R&D for stock bedding material was done a long time ago so there isn't much use in trying to reinvent the wheel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The R&D for stock bedding material was done a long time ago so there isn't much use in trying to reinvent the wheel.

Which is why I started with Brownell's products and stayed there. Decades of user feedback and adjusting the formulations to get the best results. (And you get the same formulation every time.) Not that there is anything wrong with Marine Tex and other proven by experience compounds. I just haven't found a reason to change, much less try stuff not in widespread use.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I agree...but I'm not trying to be an ad for Brownells.

As I stated earlier, any of the top of the line epoxies such as Marine Tex, Devcon or any of Brownells products will do a fine job for you.

Hell, back in the 1960's Marine Corps armorers in Vietnam even used the epoxy from AMTRAC repair kits to bed sniper rifles and a whole bunch of dead gooners can attest to it's effectiveness. smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree...but I'm not trying to be an ad for Brownells.

Me neither - just that they've never come up short on me and it's been pleasant to do business with them. There have been some that I'd rather not talk about.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If you look at the spec sheets for all epoxies (including Acra Glass) it will say that they "resist" certain chemicals, solvents and other substances. "Resist" is the operative word here and I guess that can be open to debate on what that actually means in the real world.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

You ever consider turning your rifle upside down when running wet patches? Back in the dark ages when I was a 17 year old recruit at MCRD our Drill Instructors taught us that trick to keep solvent out of the action and stock of our M14's. smile

Wasn't it Will Rodgers that said the problem with common sense is that it ain't all that common?

RickB,

Guess myself and others have been cleaning our rifles incorrectly all these years! How do you clean/push the cleaning rod thru the rifle when it's resting upside down in a gun cleaning cradle?

Guess all the fellas at the club/range lack common sense? sick

MtnHtr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rick:

I didn't mean for using as a bedding material. Maybe I should have explained further.

My question was actually asking about it being a very strong and heat resistant adhesive, like it could be used to glue ribs on barrels, or glue double rifle barrels togather, or glue sights on.

Any place where you wanted something to stay put but wouldn't want the heat from brasing or soldering.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mtn Hunter

RickB,

Guess myself and others have been cleaning our rifles incorrectly all these years! How do you clean/push the cleaning rod thru the rifle when it's resting upside down in a gun cleaning cradle?

Guess all the fellas at the club/range lack common sense? sick

MtnHtr

How does your cleaning rod know if the rifle is sitting right side up or upside down, or even on it's side??? The barrel is still on a horizontal plane no matter which way the rifle is laying.

As for your last statement, I would say yes if they can't figure out how to keep from soaking their stock and bedding material with bore solvent. smile

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Both Loctite and Permatex (owned by Devcon) make retaining compounds that work great for those types of uses.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RickB,

You missed my question but that's okay. smile

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Does this answer your question?

I just happened to have this in photobucket but if you'd like I will snap a picture of me doing the same thing on one of my rifles and post it for you. Seriously, it ain't real hard to do and it takes care of any worries about getting solvent where you don't want it.

By the way, the Corps uses Devcon as a bedding material for the M40's.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
LOL....

I've never had any need to go with a different product than Acra glass gel.. At times it's wise to mix in some powdered steel, depending on the caliber/stock etc., but it's one helluva good product..

Main thing, like RickB says, is to make sure it's fully cured (usually one full week) before using the rifle. To date, I've not had the usual solvents do any damage to the bedding, but then I don't use some of the real funky stuff either and I'm careful to clean up fully when done.

40 years, huh? WOW.. Beats me by double.. Best to ya.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Was at West Marine this morning and picked up some stuff that looks like it might be handy. It's sold under the West Marine brand name (who knows who makes it) and it's a Penetrating Epoxy kit used to seal and repair wood on boats.

It claims to REALLY penetrate deeply into the wood...and it adheres to fiberglass, cured epoxies, and all woods.

Sounds like it might work well for painting barrel channels etc.

I'm gonna do some tests and see if the stuff lives up to the advertising.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

435 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.