Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
You are correct, Big Hunter....<BR>...and I heard mentioned earlier, I don't remeber wh said it, that most people just send in their money to the organizations that help protect our hunter and firearm rights, and never really do anything.<P>Well, I'm of the opinion that the 5 or 6 groups I support with a small check each year really need that...FROM ALL OF US!...if the money we send is not important, even if we only send a $20 membership fee, then where would they get the money needed to wage war for our rights. Bottomline is, most of us are working Americans, and don't have the leisure of sitting on the court house steps for very long,....but they're people that do have that time to do just that, and our money helps allow them to do it. A few bucks goes a long way when you strated adding it up x a few hundred thousand! <P>I feel I do my part, though I may be kidding myself....<BR>I have all the right stickers on my Suburban...."pry this gun from my cold dead hands"...."insured by Smith and Wesson"....."When they outlaw guns, I'll be an outlaw"....NRA....Wild Turkey Federation...RMEF....BuckMasters....BASS....NorhAmericanHunter...etc,etc....so everyone who sees me driving knows where I stand, ...<P>...and furthermore....back in my home state I founded a group among the local sportmen called HAP...Hunters Against Poachers.<BR>We worked in conjuction with local wildlife agents helping rid our area from these slob hunters.....in less than a year, we were cited over a dozen times by the head of the DOW for 'actions above and beyond the call', and received almost $10, 000 in Operation Game Thief Rewards,...which we turned back over to the NRA and a couple of other groups who help protect our rights. I am very pround of what we accomplished, and it wasn't easy getting it started either...took lot's of work, and a lotta days and nights volunteering in the field to make it work....<P>...what does that have to do with the politics of saving our guns????...I think a whole lot!...for one, the money we raised went directly to pro-gun organizations....and secondly, we helped remove a few of the slob hunters that give our sport a bad name, and hence add fuel to the Antis fire.....just a small part of the big picture...but I think realisticly, that's all most of us can do.....give our subscription money to the pro-hunting organizations, write letters and make phone calls to state reps concerning all votes on anything to do with our hunting and gun rights,...and the little things, like turning in a poacher,....it helps, maybe not directly, but in directly,...as he is the one the Antis will use as a poster child for all hunters........<BR>...I'm taking a breath now....<BR>DS

'Slayer
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I dont know if I read it right or not, but it was my understanding that big hunter is a young fella. I got to say if he is he is a bright young fella. He is absolutely correct that the second ammendment has been eroded away already. Its great that we have it or we would be without our guns already, but just having the second ammendment to fall back on and thinking it will save us is TOTALY incorrect. It hasnt saved us from ONE SINGLE GUN LAW THAT HAS BEEN PASSED SO FAR HAS IT? Why would we think for a minute that it will save us in the future? Simply belonging to the NRA or some of these other organizations serves a purpose but it isnt gonna stop them from passing new gun laws. If you are a student big hunter you have it together bud. bcat

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Yeah bcat, I still have to wait a few years to vote. I will be 18 in 2003, just in time to keep Hillary out of office in 2004. The thought scares me. [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img]

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here is what foreigners dont understand:Our rights are GOD given.If you dont believe that,you stand to lose a lot more than your right to keep and bear arms.Since they are from Almighty God,they cannot be taken away.If they can be taken away by men,then we are mistaken and they are not from GOD.<P>We have a Divinely instituted organization,the NRA,which is empowered by our collective will under the guidance of GOD as each one of us understands HIM.Any of you who are perfect in your own lives may have a right to expect perfection from the NRA.The rest of us have to accept that it is made up of imperfect humans and will make mistakes.<P>It is not only the best game in town it's the only one allowed to play in the big leagues.I've seen some wanna-be managers posting here who cant even make it in the minor leagues.<P>To give oneself to a cause is a noble endeavor.To try and give a cause to oneself is pitiful and weak.Sign up a new member for the NRA.Quit trying to pinch hit for GOD.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Big Hunter-I am very impressed with your intelligence on every post I have read so far by you. I wish we had more kids around with your insight. Gene Williams, no-body is trying to pinch hit for God..... God gave us a brain, and expects us to use it. Not just set around and say "well god will take care of it" When ya get real sick Gene do ya say "OK GOD FIX ME WOULD YA" or do you go to a doctor and get fixed??? God gave us doctors and he gave doctors a brain to use to help the sick........ God is amazing but he also gave us a brain to use and just pitching in a few bucks to the NRA dont cut it Gene..... The second ammendment isnt written in stone like the ten commandments... It was written on paper by men not by God Gene... Although I am glad we have that ammendment, it is being eroded every day by liberal democrats and the anti gun and hunting groups in all 50 states and across the world. May be time to wake up and smell the coffee before it gets cold .

If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes [img]http://www.hunttalk.com/icon/bcatrunningcat.gif.com/boykin][/img] <BR><A HREF="http://www.huntandlodge.com/Boykin/outfitter.html" TARGET=_blank>Boykin's Hunting <B>Homepage</B> </A>
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not advocating a do nothing position.'Slayer has got it right.I need to be a lot more like him.He doesn't feel it necessary to be the leader.If you dont learn to follow,you can never lead.See,he took the lead in his own community in a pro-hunting program.But,like me,he pays his dues to other organizations.<P>My post was aimed at those who continually put down the NRA.We can"speak our truth quietly and clearly" from a position of strength.Alarmist views are always born out of fear.<P>All the talk of "fighting"for our rights is suspect when it comes out of fear.Fights are won by those who are quietly confident.If we "suit up and show up",placing the outcome in GOD's hands,we can enjoy these rights we hold so dear rather than give in to the fear-mongering that goes on all to often.<P>If you want corruption out of govt,start at your county courthouse.Gun owners who pay union dues that go to fund gun grabbing candidates need to clean up their unions.Thats just one example.There are plenty more.<P>I haven't had a chance to vote against a gun grabber at the state level,ever.And I been voting since 1964.We just dont let em run.My congressman is a democrat but he split with Clinton on guns,not because he had to to get re-elected,but because he is strongly pro 2nd amendment.All is not lost.We shall prevail.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Gene Williams,<P>A constitution is not unique to America. Australia has had one for 100 years. Your gov't system, as is ours, is basically the Westminster system. <P>One should always put laws that exist in different countries into the context of that country and conditions that generally exist in that country. For example, for Australian gun owners it is always hard for us to imagine having to get a permit to shoot a few animals a year, when we are free to shoot them until the barrel melts. However, when that is put in the context that the average American gun owner is a "hunter" and the average Australian gun owner is a "shooter" and we only have 19 million people on the same size block of land, then it all falls into place.<P>America does not have a preferential voting system which of course makes it very difficult for a minor party to get people elected. But again, your Republicans and Democrats don't hold as a strong a party line as do out two major parties, so that such a rstriction on your election rights are not so important.<P>As to the NRA, like our Sporting Shooters Association, they can only do those things which an officila outlet can do.<P>Think of it like a war.<P>You have your "official" army and then you have spies and commando type units.<P>On the subject of God, I think He said something about God helps those who help themselves.<P>I suppose I have some God given right not to be murdered. But if someone plans on doing that next week, then I need to do more than make extra contributions to the police social club.<P>Your comments about leaders and followers is true for both gun laws and probably most issues.<P>But the spy and commando units also have a leader and their followers.<P>As to the NRA or our equivalent, if every gun owner wasa memeber it would dramatically imporove things. Until last year I was a member of the NRA. I am not now as there was a foul up with their international memebership renewal situation and combine that with some slackness on my part......<P>Mike

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Gene-I am certainly not putting down the NRA, I think they have played a leading role in keeping the guns we enjoy now. I dont however think that just paying our NRA dues, or our Bass Fishing dues is gonna cut it from now on. They are playing dirty, and we will have to play a little dirty to survive. Just remeber ANYONE can get on this Internet and say ANYTHING they want to, and whos to know if its the truth or not? I believe the gun grabbers have worked the hardest in smaller countries where the oposition wasnt as rough as it is here, but they have accomplished most of their goals , and we are just bideing our time till one by one, battle after battle they are slowly taking these rights away. Its easy to say "They can have my gun when they pry my cold dead fingers from it".......But in Reality that isnt how they are gonna do it anyway. If they did, 90 percent of the loudmouths would cower down and hand the guns in, because their wife and kids were there, or other circumstances. Its a brave thought but not much of a reality. I am convinced George has the right idea in hitting them in the pocket book where it counts. If there were a whole army of folks volunteering their time, or paying for someone elses time to turn over dirt on them at the pocket book, I think it would put a real dent in their campaign. Not only the gun grabbers but the environmental groups that are all MONEY ORIENTATED.....bcat

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to both for responding.What I should have said was that Australian citezens did not have a constitutional right to own guns.As I understand it,thats why the ban could be implemented administrativly.<P>I dont deny that there is an agenda for a one world govt.It isnt anything new.The present push may actually have taken hold in the forties when the Oxford Group changed it's name to Moral Rearmament and shifted it's focus from first century Christianity to saving the world.It had a lot of influential people among it's members.I dont know if it is still around or not.<P>We are going to win some and lose some.We have concealed carry now and 20 years ago who would have thought it possible?I know some will say it's a registration list but on balance,it has to be considered a gain.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Gene,<P>I think if we had a constitution that had the equaivalent of the American 2nd Amendment the outcome would have been no different.<P>A topic that has been done a few times on the boards is exactly what infringes the 2nd Amendment.<P>Again, things need to be out into the context of the country in question.<P>The majority of semo autos in Australia were cheap Phillipino made 22s and the SKS. The majority of the SKS were either owned by the Vietnames or Lebanese (still are) and other immigrants or they were owned by shooters for some cheap shooting.<P>When the rifles were banned full retail price was paid. Much of this money was then used to buy bolt actions with. Even if the rifle had a broken stock, a bent barrel, the price was the same.<P>Thus we are still able to bear arms and compensation was paid for the handed in banned guns that exceeded what the gun owner had actually paid for them.<P>It is my belief that the way guns are owned and used could be dramatically changed without the 2nd Amendment being deemed to have been infringed.<P>I strongly suspect that after the Australian situation (or test run as some refer to it) you will not see a ban on guns that a large number of shooters own as it is counter productive for the antis.<P>What you will see is attempts to just make it more difficult to own and use guns they way we wish to.<P>One interesting difference between American and Australoian gun owners is that we own guns to "shoot" and you own them to "hunt"<P>Even our licence is called a "shooter's" licence. Our main gun magazines are called Sporting Shooter and The Shooters Journal.<P>However, you do not need a gun to hunt.<P>Mike

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,436 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,410
Posts18,489,010
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.