Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
A very wise man, nearly 3000 years ago, wrote these timeless words: "Disregarding another person's faults preserves love; telling about them separates close friends".

"Beginning a quarrel is like opening a floodgate, so drop the matter before a dispute breaks out." -KING SOLOMON

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Murf
Not sure which societies you are referring to. Just having a few beautiful artifacts is not proof the society which made them is one I or many here would care to live in. A lot of these old societies were very class oriented and based on slavery. Making a few artifacts may have been neat for those who could afford them but how many of these societies suffered from real hardships such as periods starvation, lack of opportunities to advance beyond ones position at birth etc etc .

Before we glorify the good old days we should know what they really meant for many people.
[/quote]

And our current society isn't much different. We are manipulated by governments through taxation, which in itself is another form of slavery. They know exactly how much money you make, and how much disposable income you have. That is why a place like Prince George will consistently have higher fuel prices and taxes than other communities...because according to stats canada the residents have a higher per capita income. IN my opinion as long as we are forced to turn over a portion of our income to 'the man' we will never be free. Just like you don't own your own home, even if the mortgage is paid off, because you can lose it for not paying your property tax. Or, you cannot leave the country with your money [say over 10K??] that you earned, because it's illegal.

Slavery is slavery, and we just live with a different form of it now. It all goes back to the top dogs collecting the fruits of your labour, whether it be lord and serf or richman and workingman..

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I will stick with my guns and say families were better off in the traditional sense when there was a mother at home to look after the children while they are young and the father works to feed them.I also realize that due to our high taxes and such this in many cases is no longer feasible.I have managed to raise my children without daycare which has meant not enjoying alot of todays luxeries but that is a cost im willing to pay .

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Slavery is much more than paying taxes. Slavery is far more than an economic model. It includes such aspects as ownership of another human being, power to decide which individuals can marry, selling children from parents, spouses from each other, determining what occupation one must follow,etc etc.
As for taxes I have paid a lot in my life and know I will continue to pay. Our taxes are established by the gov'ts we select in free elections. Although I do not agree with all gov't expenditures I and everyone else receive benefits from taxation. Fire and police services, roads, health care etc.

Murf
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
As for one parent staying at home that is the way my wife and I raised our family. Our first house was less than 900 sg feet. It meant hundreds of thousands of dollars less income during those times and continuing lower income as her pension will be much smaller due to her having worked less years.
Some families must have both working, some make the choice based on the woman's want of a career. Others want the extras.
Seems like free choice to me.
Even in the good old days many women worked and far more of them were stuck in low paying jobs as cooks, waitresses, etc. In those days working mothers were far more likely to work out of necessity.

Today many people see the newest wide screen plasma T.V. , marble counter tops , jet tubs , trips to the tropics during winter , new cars, boats , a cottage etc etc as necessities not luxuries. I know housing is much more expensive in some areas of the country than it is here but compare the features of new houses to what our parents and grand parents had and ask how many of these features are necessary. Our cars are loaded with extras that drive the price far higher than needed for simple transportation. Some of these added expenses can be reduced if one really wants to cut down on expenditures. As one small example it was a good many years before my cars had " wheel disks" as hub caps worked fine. A.M. radio did the trick rather than 6 disk CD changers.

Murf
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by redmtn
I will stick with my guns and say families were better off in the traditional sense when there was a mother at home to look after the children while they are young and the father works to feed them. I have managed to raise my children without daycare which has meant not enjoying alot of todays luxeries but that is a cost im willing to pay .

Plus one.

I, and my feminist wife, agree with that. She stayed home with the kids for the first 11 years (but who's counting <g>) and just recently went back to work. I worked two jobs to keep the wheels on the cart and, as you say, you go without the brand new cars and 3000 ft/2 houses that everyone seems to "need" now.

That said, my wife is a very sharp lady and has no time for the viewpoint that " a woman's place is in the house". A woman's place is where she, as a thinking human being, wants her place to be. One would HOPE that she would want it to be somewhere that she is uniquely well-suited: as "mom" in the early years of a child's life.

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/22/08.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My exact thoughts as well Jeff , and being a single parent raising kids has given me alot more respect for what women do around the home.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ain't THAT the truth. Since going into real estate a couple years ago (with a flexible schedule), and with Cyn back working, I am doing a lot more cooking and cleaning than I used to... PITA, relentless, thankless work, that! :-)

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

The most consequential job (role) within mankind's activities is that of mother, nurturer. It's impact is spread out generationally, geometrically like the stone's ripples in a pond. The evidence of this for better and worse is evident to those with eyes to see.

Feminism, as secularists would describe it and as we've seen it, lies and cheats women out of their birthright.

Pardon the diversion.

Gdv

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
goodnews, agreed. Although, I would postulate that fault for the failure of "feminism" is much more on MEN, than women. We SUCK at doing what they do best, generally speaking.

Women should do what they want. In a perfect society, I believe (and so does my feminist wife) that what women should WANT, is to be high-quality nurturers.

Talking about women in general. In specific, every door that is open for a man, should be open for a woman who wants to walk through it. What I'm trying to say, put another way, is that CHOOSING to give up the role of nurturer for "stuff" (... what? A day job? Responsibility for half the mortgage on some ginormous McMansion?? a new car? Shiny things?) What is gained, really? ... at any rate, what is LOST is beyond count, when the bulk of women, by hook or by crook, end up working.

Sorry for the ramble..

-jeff

Last edited by Jeff_O; 05/23/08. Reason: tried to fix this rambling POS, and failed

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's wrong with the woman working outside of the home? the Males largest mistake is for not embracing plural marriages...that way they could all work outside of the home as they chose, and we could spend our days ruling the roost..hunting and fishing...why not, it's the natural order of things. How many bucks do you see with only one doe?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That works great for the buck willing to put ALL his energies into keeping his does in line and fighting with his buddies... But the idea of only getting it for a couple weeks per year kinda sucks...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But we digress. Perhaps it's time to put the Kutenay thread to rest and do our rambling elsewhere.
Just a thought.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My theory is the largest and wisest old bucks never leave the high country to breed with the does as they know in the end it will be their downfall , maybe a lesson there.I say let the thread live as it has taken a few interesting turns.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
340boy Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by redmtn
I say let the thread live as it has taken a few interesting turns.

No doubt!
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
smile , well it is a tribute to Kute is it not ?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wasn't it Geist that found the biggest monster bucks to be slackers, uninterested in does at all? Then after a bad winter that killed almost all of the aggressive breeders the slacker "came" into his own and bred like a drunk rabbit...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I believe it was elk he refered, but probably deer as well. Shirker bulls and bucks???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Exactly! I remember it as a particular buck he referenced. I have his books that have the story and I will have to dig that out. Thanks for the prompt on that. I remember thinking he had nailed it with his description.
art

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I read it ,too,Art.It's in the big coffee table "Mule Deer".

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
Page 10 of 13 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,294 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,124
Posts18,502,421
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.