Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Thanks guys, I miss the old original superglue and would like to find it again, maybe this is it, but better?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The heavy duty Loctite retaining products like #380 and #680 are designed and used when you need a low viscosity, thin, adhesive (for close fitting parts) that has extremely high resistance to shearing forces.

#680 is great for anchoring sleeves on Remington bolts.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by GeorgiaBoy

Mtn Hunter,

The step by step post you did several years ago detailing your bedding method would go a long way here. It was the purple 7 mag build that you documented.

I have to agree that the person doing the bedding yeilds 90% of the results.

It was a great post, and I was lucky to have printed it.

GB

GB,

Those were the good ole' days, when Rem 700 actions & McSwirlys were respected around here (before the AR crowd showed up) wink

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You mean the "Mouser" crowd? smile

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
RickB,

Nope, I am referring to the "Rem bashers". They are a group of folks who were spawned off the fine genetics of a renegade 'smith who is hiding out somewhere in Idaho, last I heard. He misinformed alot of the armchair experts on the internet and a new era was born. Problem is folks like Warren Page are not around anymore to correct these experts! shocked eek smile cool

MtnHtr

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Oh, I know...I'm still trying to pull a bolt handle off one of my 700's, waiting for the extractors to snap off, or for rounds to fall out on the ground from the "uncontrolled" push feeding. smile

There's never a shortage of people who feel that in order to elevate their own personal preference they have to tear everything else down.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This turned into one of the better threads as of late. Reminds me of the days of old.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickB
Oh, I know...I'm still trying to pull a bolt handle off one of my 700's,

Long odds but if it happens you'll end up staring at it in complete incomprehension, like a dog at a computer. Then laugh at yourself for it.

Happened to me when setting up a trigger for a friend on an older rifle (stainless). I beat them around pretty hard as a safety check and stared for seconds at the chunk of metal like, "What the hell is that and where the hell did it come from??"

Turned out that the braze took on almost none of the bolt body (he had been uncommonly gentle in handling the rifle). Had my friend call Remington which did everything but send someone with a personal apology.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It happens...but no where near as often as some would have you believe. I've also seen a Mauser or two with tig welded handles that came off. A bad welded joint can be just as weak as a bad brazed joint.

Remington uses a machine to feed the brazing tape into the joint and the chance of contamination is higher than if you are doing it one at a time by hand in your shop. They do a pull test after the brazing (that's what the punch mark on the underside of the handle signifies) but they won't tell you how much force they use in the test.

A properly done brazed joint will normally be as strong or even a bit stronger than the parent materials being joined.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, this was an older rifle and I imagine Remington has improved the process over time so now it's a pretty darn rare event, no process being perfect. Now my friend has the darnedest luck, pile a week's production in front of him and he'll pick the one with problems. Couldn't tell but I'm guessing a little more contamination in the joint than the flux could handle. It came apart when slamming the bolt forward.

Just had to laugh at myself for staring at the thing like a turd had just materialized in my hand. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RickB
It happens...but no where near as often as some would have you believe. I've also seen a Mauser or two with tig welded handles that came off. A bad welded joint can be just as weak as a bad brazed joint.

Remington uses a machine to feed the brazing tape into the joint and the chance of contamination is higher than if you are doing it one at a time by hand in your shop. They do a pull test after the brazing (that's what the punch mark on the underside of the handle signifies) but they won't tell you how much force they use in the test.

A properly done brazed joint will normally be as strong or even a bit stronger than the parent materials being joined.

+1

And when you think about how many 700s are out there it does indeed become a rare event.

MtnHtr

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I don't have the exact figures sitting in front of me, but I would bet that Remington has made more bolt action rifles than all the other manufacturers put together.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 66 invisible), 2,103 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,773
Posts18,495,725
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.