Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My hard-headed 17 year old (Get's it from his Mom.)is determined to join the Army. He will be entering with no college. I am actually posting this for him, so he may be the responder. What is the best MOS for him to pursue?

Thanks

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB4

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pat, what does he WANT to do??

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
11 Series all the way, less he wants to learn a trade, if he get a high score on the ASVAB have him go into aviation maintenance. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm Connor, Pat's son. I'm looking at a few extremely different MOS's, such as 35F (Mil. Intel Analyst) and field/combat jobs like 19D (Cavalry Scout).

Not sure really which route to take. smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Is he smart? He should take the flight physical and whatever they call that test they have and try to become a warrant officer and pilot.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't go Scout, go infantry if you are looking at that stuff, but honestly, if you want to learn a Trade that transefers to college credits when you get out, try very hard for any of the Aviation maint, jobs, stay away from wheeled or tracked vehicle maint. Seriously. Look for something that transfers to a civilian career, Military Intelligence doesn't and niether does any of the true combat arms stuff. Les

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I spent 4 years as a 68 Bravo. Turbine engine(aircraft) mechanic. Loved it. If your scores are high enough I would give the aviation field a hard look.

As a side note I would take a really hard look at Air Force aviation.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Connor

Dig it out with school for another year. You have time to think it over and the Army can still be there for you at 18, if the next year of maturation takes you there.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Although, my recruiter hasn't told me my exact ASVAB score, I'm rather sure it's around 85. Sgt. Given did tell me I should look into the Aviation field.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pleased to make the acquaintance Conner. If you want to take risks and fight, 11B2P and then go Ranger. Tough row to hoe but super guys.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Aviation maint jobs transmit into real paychecks when and if you decide to get out. Combat Arms might get you into Black Water or some sorry azzed security job, me I was diverse in the Army, so I am no a Goobermint Contractor for Logistics. If I would have done it differetn I would have went to aviation maint, like I was first offered. les

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I'm Connor, Pat's son. I'm looking at a few extremely different MOS's, such as 35F (Mil. Intel Analyst) and field/combat jobs like 19D (Cavalry Scout).

Not sure really which route to take. smile

Two very different lifestyles and careers. Have you taken the ASVAB and been presented options there?

Certainly even in Intel there are many options and some of them quite interesting.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Isaac, I'll be 18 in July, and have another year in highschool before I can leave anyhow. Thanks much for the advice!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
85 is respectable, sitck it out and see if you can get a restest on the ASVAB and get the study guides for it, anything over a GT of 110 and you can pick your field, that is where I was at. Les

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
If you take a 15 series- avaition MOS besure to get your times logged so you can apply it to your A&P ticket when you get out. You must have an A&P to work in aviation in the civilian world. I was in the Air Cavalry my whole time in. The cav has soe great rewards and some really hard work. It seems you are always under manned and over worked. Proud to have been a cav trooper. Don't let anyone fool you if you pick 15S (OH58D) the Cav is virtually a certainty and you'll have your fill of FOB's, bug outs, the FEBA and fire missions. No body goes anywhere until the Cav tells them where.

There are some 300 MOS'. I'd advise getting one that has a skill set other than infantry or artillery. If you want to go Infantry or Artillery take advantage of the education benefits ASAP and get another skill to go with the things like teamwork, personal responsibility, accountability etc. that you'll learn in an infantry, armor or artillery MOS. Take the leadership lesson to heart they will payoff the rest of your life. The shooting people, bounding overwatch, small unit tactics and such may not apply to a civilian job but the other qualities certainly will and very favorably. Don't look at this as advising against any of those 3, I'm not at all. You do need to get a civilian skill to augment the military experience advantages is my point.

Last edited by Planemech; 05/30/08.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I'm truelly not sure of my exact scores, and I've been presented alot of interesting options. Although, 85 is a low estiment. I was told by a recruiter that it was difficult, and generally pointless to retest with my scores.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A million years ago I was an 11Bxxxxxx.. But if I had it to do all over again.. A normal job that transfers to civilian life would have been a much better choice. Less military BS while serving too. Something like an X-Ray technician at the hospital..lol Luckily I ended up using the GI Bill and getting a BS/MBA degree and a professional job.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You should be fine with that score. Planemech said alot about the leadership and team building skills that you learn in Combat Arms. He is right, but alot of Companies are just now looking at that stuff, when I got out back in 2000, I was looked at like I had no skills and I was a friggin Platoon Sergeant as a SSG when I left the Army. Les

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
A joke we use around the recruiting office often, being the head Sgt. got into Airborne as one, is that "I'm not entering the Army to be a plumber." Does anyone have anything to tell me about, more pin pointed, the Cav Scout MOS?

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Isaac, I'll be 18 in July, and have another year in highschool before I can leave anyhow. Thanks much for the advice!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

But, do you wish to sign up now when you have a year's wait, anyhow?

Connor...your dad is top-shelf and one of my faves here. With his help and guidance, you'll make the right decision wherever and whenever the good advice here leads you.

It's a tough decsion, young man, for both yourself and those who love you.

My only advice is think it through and be 100% certain.

You'll have my best wishes, regardless.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 58 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,423 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,944
Posts18,480,168
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.