Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Yes! We need more info.

The wait (for Amazon to ship) is killin' me...

lol

GB1

C
C
Sorry to keep you hanging. :-) You can look on the bright side. When Amazon shipped mine they said expected delivery on 6/11, but they came on the 7th.

Took them out for a little while today and they are very nice, nicest glass I've owned (which isn't saying too much). I had looked at these at the Sportsman Expo down in Portland OR a while back, liked them and was thinking about ordering a demo pair from Doug @ Cameraland when these popped up.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
It's good to hear that they have nice glass. It would really suck if they were stuffed with cheap innards from China. smile

I finally did get an email from them with shipping info. They are supposed to be here by Friday. They shipped today via USPS from Federal Way, Washington (which is smack dab between Tacoma and Seattle.) Since they are only about 400 miles away, I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't here by Wednesday.

[IIRC, Amazon.com's HQ is in Seattle. Hmmmmmmm..]

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
The 8x33 HG's are here from Amazon.com! And they are spectacular! grin

The Minox box that these came in looks just like the one that my BD 6.5x32 IF's came in, only this one is black. It was covered in a thick layer of dust that was quickly wiped off. The box has the same Minox GmbH markings and Wetzlar, Germany address on the back. Also, a black manual, Certificate of Quality, Warranty card (with "Verk. Nr./Fabr. Nr" on the back) and all other inserts are included, just like my IF's. The Fabr. Nr. numbers match the numbers found on the underside of the binocs. There is also a little "Minox HG Series" tag hooked to the binoc itself. The binoc case is nicely done in leather with magnets to hold the flap closed. A tag attached to the case says, "Genuine Leather". A Minox strap is also included, as is a nice well fitting rainguard that should have been included with the 6.5 IF's.

Speaking of the HG, it feels fabulous in the hand. The rubber is nice and grippy with an expensive feel to it. The focus wheel glides effortlessly, and is marked in yards. (1.7 ~ 50 with the infinity symbol next to it.) The diopter is rather stiff, but does lock in place, which is nice. It was set at the center mark (or 0), and it was exactly where I need it right out of the box for my eyes. smile

The glass is better than anything that I own. Stuff just pops at you in full vivid detail. I sat here at my computer for a second and watched the neighbor working on his roof. The green washers that he used to fasten the felt paper down stood right out. Their bright green color practically glowing against the dark background..

I wish that I could say more, but I have to run over and babysit my sister's kids at the moment. More comments to come later.

grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ones that got away....

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RecoilRob

I know...it makes me sick to my stomach that I missed it.

Schuey or chasvic, could either of you post a picture of the binocs with something beside them for reference to I can get an idea of the size? something like a hand or $100 bill (you should have plenty lying around being as you saved so much money :D)
Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Schuey2002
The 8x33 HG's are here from Amazon.com! And they are spectacular! grin

The Minox box that these came in looks just like the one that my BD 6.5x32 IF's came in, only this one is black. It was covered in a thick layer of dust that was quickly wiped off. The box has the same Minox GmbH markings and Wetzlar, Germany address on the back. Also, a black manual, Certificate of Quality, Warranty card (with "Verk. Nr./Fabr. Nr" on the back) and all other inserts are included, just like my IF's. The Fabr. Nr. numbers match the numbers found on the underside of the binocs. There is also a little "Minox HG Series" tag hooked to the binoc itself. The binoc case is nicely done in leather with magnets to hold the flap closed. A tag attached to the case says, "Genuine Leather". A Minox strap is also included, as is a nice well fitting rainguard that should have been included with the 6.5 IF's.

Speaking of the HG, it feels fabulous in the hand. The rubber is nice and grippy with an expensive feel to it. The focus wheel glides effortlessly, and is marked in yards. (1.7 ~ 50 with the infinity symbol next to it.) The diopter is rather stiff, but does lock in place, which is nice. It was set at the center mark (or 0), and it was exactly where I need it right out of the box for my eyes. smile

The glass is better than anything that I own. Stuff just pops at you in full vivid detail. I sat here at my computer for a second and watched the neighbor working on his roof. The green washers that he used to fasten the felt paper down stood right out. Their bright green color practically glowing against the dark background..

I wish that I could say more, but I have to run over and babysit my sister's kids at the moment. More comments to come later.

grin
I also received both mine today and I concur with his opinion. I compared both pairs vs. (all good glass)my 10x40 Zeiss Classics, an exceptional pair of 8x42 of Nikon Monarchs, and a friends 8x32 SLC's. I would rate them the best of the bunch overall. Just a bit sharper than the Zeiss, a better FOV than the SLC's, and a tiny bit better definition than the Monarch's. The ergonomics are excellent. The Zeiss are great but exhibit flare when looking into the sun. Very nice glass for $350 and perfect size for hunting,I like the size, feel FOV and color. Can't imagine a better pair of hunting Binos.
My old Jap Monarchs continue to amaze though in how they stack up.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Originally Posted by RecoilRob

I know...it makes me sick to my stomach that I missed it.

Schuey or chasvic, could either of you post a picture of the binocs with something beside them for reference to I can get an idea of the size? something like a hand or $100 bill (you should have plenty lying around being as you saved so much money :D)
Thanks.

Here you go. This is not the world's greatest pic, but it will have to do. (I had to boost the gamma correction of my pic in order for the dark HG's to stand out. Otherwise they would've been hard to see.) wink

[Linked Image]

Sizewise, they are small, but not too small. They just fit my midsized hands. They are similiar in size to the Minox BD 6.5x32 IF, with the IF's being just a tad fatter and a tad taller. I really like the way both of these feel. The IF's with their large ridges on the outside really fill your hands. While the HG's with their thick, smooth 'n grippy armoring feel different, but are every bit as nice as the IF's to the touch.

If you have large hands, I could see where these HG's might be a tad small for some. Of course, YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Perfect! Thanks, Schuey. My hands are not large, so I was hoping they'd be smaller rather than larger.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
....Very nice glass for $350 .....

I think I'm gonna vomit....again.

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 204guy, 160user, 12344mag, 1234, 58 invisible), 1,928 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,901
Posts18,498,123
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.