Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Yesterday, I stopped by a gunstore to look at the Sako 85 in person. It felt great etc. but this particular gun had a stuck magazine. I couldn't get the release lever to move, and the salesman couldn't either. He said he would have to send it to the gunsmith.
I know that shelfwear at a store is tough on any brand, but am just wondering if Sako owners have experienced any problems with their purchase, any tips you could give us to look for?

GB1

C
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
C
Stray Dog, if I am understanding you correctly that is the function of the new magazine latch. You have to push up on the magazine and then push the release. My 85 in 25/06 shoots great and functions fine. I did have a feeding problem and Beretta got a newly designed magazine for me and it will feed empties now.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
You do realize with the 85's you have to push up the mag. at the same time you hit the release, in case you didn't know.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Same thing happened to me until I learned how to do it and it works.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks guys,
No, I didn't know and when the salesman didn't know either it made for an unimpressive gun experience.
Also, it looks like the cheek piece has a joint, is it adjustable?
Are there anymore tricks I need to know before I look at another 85?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd forget about the factory mounts and rings and use Warne one piece. Warne 75 pieces fit the 85.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Lansend
I'd forget about the factory mounts and rings and use Warne one piece. Warne 75 pieces fit the 85.

I disagree, I think the optiloks are excellent mounts and rings, the screws are apparently alittle soft but I did not have an issue putting mine on. I have never had a problem with my 85...and it does take some getting use to when removing the magazine.

Rob
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I too much prefer the Optilocks and use them on my Sako's..................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
+1 on the Optilocks and I also have several sets of the Leupolds and they are good but I try to keep my Sakos all Sako if possible.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Having to push up on the magazine while engaging the release is an engineering design to prevent accientally dropping your mag. This is one of the improvments over the 75.

Note: I have a 75 and have never had an accidental release of the mag. I can see how the new and improved release is a good idea though.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by M. Saenz
Note: I have a 75 and have never had an accidental release of the mag. I can see how the new and improved release is a good idea though.

+1, I've never had an accidental mag release on a 75 either but it worried me enough that on one hunt I duct taped the mag just to be sure. Probably not needed but the 85's method gives just a little more peace of mind. It's a more secure Guns-Salesman resistant magazine drop..............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Love mine, Finn light in 300wsm. Don't care much for that "joint" in the cheek piece, though. I believe the purpose is to isolate your cheek from recoil. I have also heard that it is so the same stock can be converted from right to left hand.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I disagree, I think the optiloks are excellent mounts and rings, the screws are apparently alittle soft but I did not have an issue putting mine on. I have never had a problem with my 85...and it does take some getting use to when removing the magazine.

+1 I have taken scopes in and out of optilock rings multiple times with no problems. I tossed that allen wrench sako provides and went to Lowes HOme imporvement and bout a carbon steel allen metric wrench and have zip problems.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
How do you guys feel about the Fin-Soft recoil pad, does it absorb a lot of shock? Any desires to change them out for a Decelerator or LimbSaver?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
earlier this year i too was looking at an 85 and the same thing happen. i casually tried to remove the mag, but couldn't. a sales guy tried and couldn't. he passed the rifle on to another sales guy, who couldn't. said they were going to send the rifle back for repair. my guess would be the salesmen didn't know what they were doing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ditto Optilocks! Really like the new magazine design! No problems with my 85 .308 Finnlight! Not crazy about the stock, so McMillan is dropping mine in an Edge. I have culled a lot of rifles, but the Finnlight is where I stopped. The Sako 85 will be my primary 'do-all' for around here. 130gr TTSXs will rule the roost here in Sweet Home.

WAR EAGLE!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I bought a spare mag for my 75 when I got that rifle...........pricey!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
... I have culled a lot of rifles, but the Finnlight is where I stopped. The Sako 85 will be my primary 'do-all' for around here. ...

Wow, if I had a nickel for each rifle in my safe purchsed under the exact same logic. "I swear honey, this is the 'one perfect rifle' that'll do-it-all. I really need to build it so I can simplify the safe." smile

NRA Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by conchworker
Originally Posted by OldCenterChurch
... I have culled a lot of rifles, but the Finnlight is where I stopped. The Sako 85 will be my primary 'do-all' for around here. ...

Wow, if I had a nickel for each rifle in my safe purchsed under the exact same logic. "I swear honey, this is the 'one perfect rifle' that'll do-it-all. I really need to build it so I can simplify the safe." smile

I did just that...all I have to use for hunting is my Sako 85 30-06.

Rob
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
The greywolf laminated is nice and the factory pad could easily be replaced with an aftermarket pad.

However, I really like the looks of the contoured recoil pads on the stainless synthetic. Do these contoured pads do a good job?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (12344mag, 257 mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 22 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,040 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,121
Posts18,483,658
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.