Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JonA
Originally Posted by Eremicus
What I don't believe is that there is much difference between fully multicoated scopes of different brands which have the same magnification ranges and objective sizes.

What I have found by actually comparing is that there can be a huge difference.

+1 Jon

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What I don't believe is that there is much difference between fully multicoated scopes of different brands which have the same magnification ranges and objective sizes.

E, just 1 question!

BSA Sweet .223 3-12X40 Fully Muticoated 3" of eye relief.

Leupold VX III 3.5-10X40 Fully Multicoated 3.5-4.4" eye relief

Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Victory Diavari Fully Multicoated 3.5" eye relief

Now for the question, are the Fully Multicoated qualities the same or close to the same on these 3 scopes?

I know the power and the bell sizes are a bit different what about the coating qualities?

From your philosophy the BSA should be the clearest correct?

Fully Multicoated + shortest eye relief = clearest.

That's if I have read your post's correctly.

Last edited by BrocksDad; 06/12/08.

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrocksDad

E, just 1 question!

BSA Sweet .223 3-12X40 Fully Muticoated 3" of eye relief.

Leupold VX III 3.5-10X40 Fully Multicoated 3.5-4.4" eye relief

Zeiss 2.5-10x42 Victory Diavari Fully Multicoated 3.5" eye relief

Now for the question, are the Fully Multicoated qualities the same or close to the same on these 3 scopes?

I know the power and the bell sizes are a bit different what about the coating qualities?

From your philosophy the BSA should be the clearest correct?

Fully Multicoated + shortest eye relief = clearest.

That's if I have read your post's correctly.

Originally Posted by S&B websight

Lens coatings are carefully guarded secrets, formulated by skilled physicists. We calculate the makeup of our coatings in direct relation to the physical composition of the glass to which it is applied, since glass can react in differing ways to the same coating. Our coatings are weighted in favor of certain nanometer (color) values, giving preference to certain wave lengths which are most beneficial to the hunter under actual field conditions

Notice the very last part"under actual field conditions"Interesting.
Cant imagine any company developing something and then
shareing it.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Cant imagine any company developing something and then
shareing it.

They don't...

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BrockDad, I'm going to the range today to give some focusing lessons. Hopefully there will be some computer access at the Greystone Psychiatric Hospital so I can report back to guys. Wish me luck. crazy

Roy

IC B2

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Very funny, BD. How come I didn't see any reference in your extensive testing of rifle scopes to the BSA products ? After spending $50,000 and over 2500 hrs of effort, you didn't get around to these significant rifle scopes ? For the same reason I didn't bother qualifing my comments to that extent. They aren't anywhere near the same class as the fully multicoated Leupold, Zeiss, Swarovski, S&B, the Bushnell Elite 4200's, the Burris's, the fully multicoated Nikons and the FC Sightrons, etc. I simply pressumed we were talking about that class of scope.
All of the above test out within a few scant points of each other when tested for light transmition. Yet they don't resolve an image the same among them.
That leaves with two potential explanations. Either it's the "secret glass and coatings formula" they have that makes them better, or it's Leupold much more forgiving eye boxes and longer eye relief that make the difference.
Now, if you, and those like you, wish to judge a rifle scope's usefulness by it's apparent image brightness and it's ability to resolve the finest details of it's image, that's your call. As to "huge differences," just what are we talking about here ? Being able to see both .25 and .30 caliber bullet holes vs. .30 caliber bullet holes at 100 yds. ?
I beleive that other qualities are more important than that. Especially when they make a difference as to how well I can shoot at game. E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by S&B websight

We are one of but a few scope companies that can absolutely guarantee the quality of our glass. The quality of the glass in a riflescope is one of the most critical factors in what you see through it. Some scope companies purchase their glass from a number of sources, which saves some money, but at the price of quality control. For decades, Schmidt & Bender's glass has come from an optical company that produces glass of such exceptional clarity and purity that we decided we couldn't risk being without it. So we bought the company. It guarantees that any Schmidt & Bender scope you purchase will always contain the highest quality, clearest, most consistent optics possible.

Buy the best scope you can. It will save you money. The fact is, virtually any rifle is capable of very good accuracy; if the scope mounted upon it allows. There are no "bargains" in riflescopes. Your optics are what allow you to see�and hit�your target. And as you know, any hunt is expensive these days, whether it's a deer hunt close to home or a no-holds-barred overseas safari.

The bottom line? An investment in one of the world's finest scopes is the cheapest insurance you can have. After all, when that trophy of a lifetime steps into the open at last light, your Schmidt & Bender scope is priceless

One loopie will be a fine.The next a turd.Just ask Matt about his loopie fixed 6Xs.Enough said.
dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dave, you should read the article in the latest Rifleshooter magazine by Boddington. He talks specifically about the advantages of high end glass with lighted reticles and how useful they are for whitetail hunting.

Roy

U
Uncas Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
U
When I was a flyfishing fanatic...in Michigan, we fished the "Hex" hatch, (a very large mayfly that emerges after dark and brings the big Brown Trout out of the brushpiles) on the South Branch and Manistee. Anyhow, we would patch our dominant eye about dusk and wait at the stream edge until the hatch...sometimes an hour and a half after dark. Taking off the patch would allow to re-tie knots and see much better in the dark. Maybe this is an idea for us late in the day riflemen. Or just a new Pirate craze? Bill

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And here�s a great example of how the quality of the glass itself matters with the most apples to apples comparison that will ever be possible:

Falcon Optics recently poopy-canned most of a production run of scopes, costing them hundreds and hundreds of sales. The scopes were simply not up to the optical standard they desired for that scope. They traced the problem back to the glass itself used at the factory. Some scopes had been made using the specified grade of glass, but somehow most had their lenses cut from glass specified to two different, inferior standards.

So here you have the exact same �fully multi-coatings,� lenses otherwise made the same, identical optical designs, same objective sizes, same power ranges, same eye reliefs, same sized �eyeboxes,� same amount of �light polution��..scopes identical in absolutely every other way. The only difference was quality of the raw glass itself used. And it made a big difference. Big enough it was not only noticable, but big enough the company took a huge financial hit and canceled hundreds of orders rather than let any users get inferior scopes with their name on them.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (1lesfox, 1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 32 invisible), 1,827 guests, and 1,127 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,066
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.