Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Nilwod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I just went through the biggest headache the last two days. I went to my local UPS Service Center (not a store or drop off) and tried to ship a rifle I sold here on the campfire (Ruger 1-B). I have used this Service Center before. UPS would not ship the rifle (I had a signed copy of the FFL I was sending to, and they refused). I came home, and called UPS Customer Service, Went as high as I could by phone, and was told by UPS, that three years ago, UPS changed the rules, and a Private individual could not send any working firearm to an FFL, the only place they could send a firearm, was back to the manfacturer for repairs. Anyone who does so is subject to confiscation of the firearm, and punishment from the atf, should there be violations. I have never heard of this, and have shipped guns UPS for years. I just sent one UPS about a month ago. Does anyone really know the rules? As for now, after this go around, UPS can kiss what I can't. If I'm wrong, where do I find it in print? The guy on the other end of the deal who was waiting for his rifle, is also suffering from this crap. Looks like USPS for me.

Last edited by Nilwod; 06/11/08.

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FedEx ground?

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Ship it at your local post office. The USPS will ship long guns with no questions asked, if you show them the FFL. They do like to have the action open or the bolt removed, if possible but they likely will not even ask.
Way cheaper too.
Joe

Standing is the reason I get out of bed in the morning. (Handgun Silhouette)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
FedEx ground?

Nope, Fed-Ex rules state ALL firearms must go priority overnight, very expensive.

USPS is not a bad option, but the UPS ground is cheaper especially for the larger and heavier rifles.

I think the UPS person or persons told you wrong. I have read their rules and have shipped many long guns to other FFLs around the country. I'd research it some more and go back to set them straight!

J

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh crap....just saw this on gunbroker.com:

UPS: UPS will accept handgun shipments by Next Day Air only. Rifles and shotguns can be shipped by UPS ground service. UPS will accept shipments of ammunition. UPS does not allow shipment of firearms FROM an unlicensed person (even to an FFL), unless the stated reason for the firearm shipment is for repair or modifications.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Nilwod Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jason, I thought they were wrong also, but after going through at least a dozen persons the last two days, Same answer.

If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything.
- Notebook, 1894 Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FedEx and UPS suck here.

USPS, on the other hand, is a positive joy here.

And they don't have to see a copy of the FFL, either. I've talked with the desk clerks at two different PO's on the island, and they don't need to see or have a copy. I've mailed probably 15 long guns since I've been here, and it's never been an issue.

Did I mention that FedEx and UPS suck?

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jasonkjasonk
Originally Posted by avagadro
FedEx ground?

Nope, Fed-Ex rules state ALL firearms must go priority overnight, very expensive.

Only hand guns have to go fedex over night. They will ship long guns by any other of there services.

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The info at Gunbroker is AT BEST second-hand to you and me. Ultimately, the only way to be sure that UPS truly has that policy and that you are not getting jerked around by some anti-gun employees at UPS is to obtain a copy of the official UPS policies. Perhaps a copy of the policies can be found on UPS's website or a Campfire member who works for UPS can obtain a copy of the policies.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
I just go through a friend who's an FFL anymore. FedEx manager told me overnight was the only way they'd ship, and like Jason mentioned $$$ - was quoted at over $250 last time I tried to ship a long gun.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I just got this from UPS' web site:

Shipping Firearms
Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code, for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States) and law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), and from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law and when such shipment complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and package.

* Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. � 921,will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air� Early A.M.�, UPS Next Day Air�, or UPS Next Day Air Saver� services. (Note: UPS Express CriticalSM Service is not available for firearms).
* UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm, firearm mufflers and silencers are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)
* UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment.
* Firearms, including handguns, and firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally
* Ammunition may be accepted for shipment internationally provided it is shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping International Goods.
* UPS ReturnsSM Services are not available for packages containing firearms.

Follow These Packing Requirements

* Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages being delivered to UPS.
* Ammunition cannot be included in packages that contain firearms (including handguns). Ammunition must be shipped in accordance with the UPS Guide for Shipping Ground and Air Hazardous Materials, or the UPS Guide for Shipping International Dangerous Goods.
* Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. � 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. � 172 regarding hazardous materials shipments.

About Documentation and Labeling

* The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

Getting Your Firearm Shipment to UPS

* You can only ship your package that contains a handgun from UPS daily pickup accounts or through UPS Customer Centers (counters at UPS operational facilities). Note: Handguns are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or UPS On-Call PickupSM, or at The UPS Store� or any third party retailer.
* When you are shipping a package that contains a handgun, you must verbally notify the UPS driver or UPS Customer Center clerk.
* You can ship a firearm (excluding handguns, which are discussed above), from a UPS daily pickup account, UPS On-Call Pickup, One-Time Pickup, or a UPS Customer Center. Note: Firearms are not accepted for shipment through UPS Internet Shipping, UPS Drop Boxes, or at The UPS Store or any third party retailer.
* See the terms and conditions in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service for information regarding firearm shipments.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can vouch for that being UPS's policy. If questioned (usually doesn't happen) I tell 'em it's my gunsmith. Problem solved.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Only handguns have to go next day air ,I send rifles all the time fedex ground.No problem even if different people are working.

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All they care is that it's going to a FFL

1 and done
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In the excerpt model70man copied from the UPS website, there was a reference to "UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service." Below is that info.

Bottom line is that like in many other organizations, the UPS customer service people either cannot read or choose not to read their own policies and procedures (and the info on gunbroker.com is wrong).

UPS TARIFF/TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
FOR SMALL PACKAGE SHIPMENTS IN THE UNITED STATES
Effective December 31, 2007

excerpt concerning firearms:

J. Firearms and Ammunition
UPS accepts packages containing firearms, as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the
United States Code, from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers and
licensed collectors, as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code, law enforcement agencies,
from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and
when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient and
package. The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package
containing a firearm, including handguns. UPS, in its sole discretion, may require the shipper to select a UPS
Next Day Air Service for any package containing a firearm. Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. � 921, will be
accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services. Firearms, including handguns, will not be
accepted for transportation via UPS Drop Boxes, Internet Shipping, in response to a request for On-Call
Pickup Service, or when presented for shipment at locations of The UPS Store or any Third Party Retailer.
Small arms ammunition, as defined in 49 C.F.R. � 173.59, will be transported only when packaged and
labeled in compliance with 49 C.F.R. � 172. Firearm parts, which do not constitute firearms as defined under
federal law, including without limitation Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States
Code, and which otherwise comply with federal, state, and local law, will be accepted for transportation. UPS
Returns Services are not available for packages containing firearms. Firearms, including handguns, and
firearm parts are not accepted for shipment internationally. For more information, access
http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/service/terms/firearms.html, or contact UPS.

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Not what FedEx told me and I have a business account with them as well. Shipped long guns no problem for the longest time, then last fall they informed me of the change; talked to phone rep and manager but didn't go any higher. Anyone got any hard copy on their policies?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
By the way, when dealing with shipping organizations (and others) on issues related to firearms and hunting, we need to go armed with information. When you just tell people from UPS, FedEx, etc. that what they are saying is unfair and/or doesn't make sense, they don't care. When you show them in black and white where their policies and procedures state that they WILL ship firearms from an individual to an FFL, then they had better follow those procedures or face the consequences.

A few months ago I had a woman at a FedEx location tell me she couldn't ship my frozen javelina head to Skulls Unlimited even though I had it packaged as required. I told her to look it up in her manual. She couldn't find it and called their internal help line. The person at the other end of the line couldn't find the right policy, either, and he/she also said they couldn't ship it. I finally outlasted the woman at the counter, and she consented to ship it, but that was 30+ minutes of my life wasted because a couple people couldn't find/read their own company's pertinent policies.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on muledeer >>

FedEx and UPS suck here.

USPS, on the other hand, is a positive joy here.

And they don't have to see a copy of the FFL, either. I've talked with the desk clerks at two different PO's on the island, and they don't need to see or have a copy. I've mailed probably 15 long guns since I've been here, and it's never been an issue.

Did I mention that FedEx and UPS suck?

Dennis

But as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil. 4:13

I DON'T NEED A WSM AS I HAVE A WEATHERBY!
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Interesting,

Here in Mississippi USPS is a pain in the pitooty to deal with when shipping firearms. UPS on the other hand has been excellent. I've shipped two long guns that I've sold here on the classifieds in the last two months with no problems. Showed the clerk the FFL it was being shipped to, no questions asked, out the door in less than five minutes.

Leftybolt

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I recently bought a cooper from whelenaway on this forum and it took it 17 days to make it from wisconsin to florida....no way to track it....we thought it was stolen....just not sure there is any good choice nowdays....it was sent usps

Last edited by AFTERUM; 06/11/08. Reason: sent usps
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 66 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,531
Posts18,530,926
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.