-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, here's the link to the whole opinion....the court's opinion, a concurrence, and the dissents.

You can save yourself a lot of time by going straight to page 111, where Scalia, as usual knocks it out of the park.

http://www.scotusblog.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/06-1195.pdf

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Les, your point is well taken they are not POWs in our sense of the word and by our definitions therein. But in their view they are bona-fide combatants and this ruling can be used against our own men if they are captured. I guess it's a moot point though, as every time our guys are captured, all we get back are mutilated body parts. And we want to give these "people" rights? TRH, I guess we just have a fundamental disagreement and we'll let it go at that. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
But Hawk, you're the one who says the Supreme Court's opinions don't matter, and who ignores centuries of precedent to come up with your own unique Constitutional perspective.
Precisely my point, Steve. You and Isaac have hoist yourselves on your own petard, which is your insistence that whatever the Supreme Court rules that the US Constitution says is in fact what the Constitution says. Yes, I happen to agree with the decision, since it is consistent with the entire pre-Bush history of US jurisprudence, and accords perfectly with the plain meaning and original intent of the US Constitution, but it is now you who must live by your previous assertions concerning the impeccability of the US Supreme Court.

Hawk, the distinction you don't seem to grasp is between agreeing, and acknowleding its binding. I do the latter, but not the former.

BTW this opinion is a radical break with existing law, as Justice Scalia sets out in plain English. This is just more liberal judicial legislation.....

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Not everyone held at Gitmo was captured "on the field of battle" or even in Iraq orAfghanistain. More than one was arrested by a foreign government and handed over. Food for thought.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Les, your point is well taken they are not POWs in our sense of the word and by our definitions therein. But in their view they are bona-fide combatants and this ruling can be used against our own men if they are captured. I guess it's a moot point though, as every time our guys are captured, all we get back are mutilated body parts. And we want to give these "people" rights? TRH, I guess we just have a fundamental disagreement and we'll let it go at that. jorge

You are dead on Jorge, I'm done, they just don't get it. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Violator22
THEY AREN"T POW's, as I have said til I am breathless, they were NOT UNIFORMED COMBATANTS! How hard is that concept to grasp............. Les
And, once again, I agree they are not POWs. That's the point. The ruling didn't touch on the issue of the handling of POWs. Only on the handling of all others held by officials of the United States.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, I'd kill them out of hand on the battlefield. You guys are among the stupidest characters I've ever seen. Yu take all the prisoners you want. Kiss their rosy butts as much as you like. Employ all the lawyers you want..up until they are sawing your head off with a gutting knife. I don't give a ratz azz whether someone thinks I am better than the enemy. I give a ratz azz that the enemy is dead and I am not. These scum will never reciprocate good treatment. Never have,never will. Send the FBI to arrest the scum. Send the BATF to arrest them. It don't matter to me if they all get KIA, which they will. By the way, DOES THIS MEAN US SOLDIERS WILL HAVE TO RECOVER EVIDENCE AND CONDUCT INTERVIEWS ON THE BATTLEFIELD?? Get real. You guys live in a protected bubble.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Exactly ET. Les

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
JorgeI said:
Your logic is AFU and is this instance so is the Supreme Court. Never before in the history of warfare have we had to "Mirandize" POWs. What utter nonsense.

RickyD said:
Actually, the trials should be very entertaining and illuminating at what the idiots on the SC are forcing tax dollars for.

I'll say it again expecting to get flamed; Miranda and the mindset that follows it is a jobs program for under or un-employeed attorneys. Many of you will say it's a point of law. That's fine! This is my take on it. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hawk, the distinction you don't seem to grasp is between agreeing, and acknowleding its binding. I do the latter, but not the former.
No, Steve. We've had many a debate where you insisted on ignoring what the Founders said regarding the proper interpretation of the Constitution in favor of what the Supreme Court ruled. You've insisted untold times that whatever the Supreme Court rules IS BY DEFINITION WHAT THE CONSTITUTION SAYS. On this we disagree, but the current ruling is correct precisely BECAUSE it accords with the plain meaning and original intent of the US Constitution.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
THEY AREN"T POW's, as I have said til I am breathless, they were NOT UNIFORMED COMBATANTS! How hard is that concept to grasp............. Les
And, once again, I agree they are not POWs. That's the point. The ruling didn't touch on the issue of the handling of POWs. Only on the handling of all others held by officials of the United States.

Hawk, so by your rationale, I'm better off shucking my uniform, throwing away my dog tags, and becoming an illegal combatant, who can now require the US, in addition to providing three squares, air conditioning, prayer rugs, Korans, volleyball courts, etc....to provide me a free lawyer to pursue my habeus rights in a civil court. Are we going to use the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, too. Do we have to bring the soldiers back from the battlefield like cops under subpoenas to say "Yes, that's Mohammed, I captured him outside Kandahar four years ago with an RPG".....and then we can get into his specific intent to use it and his deprived childhood.

I mean, Christ, fellows, get real.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hell Steve, Hawk and company don't even care to admit or even address the fact that their beloved Geneva Conventions specifically classify El Qaida types as UNPROTECTED ILLEGAL combatants who may be killed out of hand upon capture lawfully.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Hawk, so by your rationale, I'm better off shucking my uniform, throwing away my dog tags, and becoming an illegal combatant, who can now require the US, in addition to providing three squares, air conditioning, prayer rugs, Korans, volleyball courts, etc....to provide me a free lawyer to pursue my habeus rights in a civil court. Are we going to use the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedure, too. Do we have to bring the soldiers back from the battlefield like cops under subpoenas to say "Yes, that's Mohammed, I captured him outside Kandahar four years ago with an RPG".....and then we can get into his specific intent to use it and his deprived childhood.

I mean, Christ, fellows, get real.
If you're guilty, and the government can prove it, you are not much if any better off. If innocent, you are. All who are accused of wrongdoing by our government are presumed innocent by our court system. That's how I like it, thank you very much.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
The ruling merely increased an already exhorbitant cost, that's all. It will have no practical affect other than that.

The Justices who concurred obviously demonstrate the necessity of paying attention to the candidate who gets to nominate the next 2-3 Justices.

The news headline and quick news blurb made it seem so much more sigificant than it really is.

The prisoners get a crack at another courthouse, that's all. The 4 liberal judges did what was expected. Kennedy's erratic but predictable swing vote made things more complicated, expensive and,.... that's about it.

Last edited by isaac; 06/12/08.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Hell Steve, Hawk and company don't even care to admit or even address the fact that their beloved Geneva Conventions specifically classify El Qaida types as UNPROTECTED ILLEGAL combatants who may be killed out of hand upon capture lawfully.
So now we let Euro types tell us Americans how to handle those accused of wrongdoing? No thanks. I prefer the good old US Constitution.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This is fantasyland. Soldiers now part of the criminal justice system. I think it will result in fewer tangoes ever making it to a prisoner cage.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
GOOD!!!!

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Wish I could stay and play some more, fellas, but have to go. If any of you start to think I'm wrong and you're right, just go back and re-read my previous posts. That will set you straight. laugh Have fun.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Another way of looking at it is they must be getting ready to unload a doozie of a 2nd Amendment ruling!!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You couldn't set a ruler straight Hawk,not on this.

ad triarios redisse
[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

530 members (1234, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 57 invisible), 1,910 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,166
Posts18,523,612
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.