-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I currently have 17 Husqvarna built, or based, rifles including a 6.5x55 built on a 1943 vintage Husqvarna M38 Swedish military Mauser action, a 1944/45 vintage 648 commercial 1896 style Mauser action in 8x57, 6 S&W imported rifles built on the 1640 commercial small ring Mauser style "HVA" action, 1 FFV built on the 1900/8000/9000 commercial "improved" action, and 8 S&W imported rifle built on the same action.

The 1900/8000/9000 "improved" actions are very smooth and I used 2 of them from S&W Cs as the basis for a matched pair of rifles in 256 Newton and 338-06.

I'd agree that DeHaas' and Otteson's Bolt Action Rifle books are worth owning. Whatever information they don't provide, SBHVA can usually add. Otteson's Volumes I & II are available on CD for around $25. I don't know is Wolfe still has the books in print, but they are nice to have on your shelf.

Jeff

HR IC

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Holy crap Terry, you need to relax! As I clearly said, I have nothing against anything you said. I supplied quotes that backed up my disagreement with Chuck Hawks. I supplied a reference to a fairly well-known book and supposed authority on bolt action rifles suggesting that it supported what Mr. Shoemaker had said...certainly not an attack on you. I don't care enough about the discussion one way or another to reprint a book most gun-loonies own or can borrow from the library. If it's really important to you I can post the archive from Pettson's Place (another Husqvarna 'authority') that comes to the same conclusion - possibly borrowed from DeHaas.

Rest easy, I'm not disputing your claims or even supporting Phil's, DeHaas, Pettson - just mearly adding additional information that most people would find useful.

I still think Chuck Hawks sucks. wink

djp Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Ok, figured I better add a quote or I'd be in trouble again.

This is from the former website called Pettson's Place. He only had Husqvarna's on his website and it was a super resource. Hangs out with SBHVA on another site. Make sure to read it all(not just the first sentence) as it's very interesting info.

"The 1640 action and rifles were introduced late 1953. This improved 98 Mauser action was Husqvarna's first own design. Despite the result of the development being a very nice and indeed successful action it was something of a compromise however. The management didn't approve the investments that the design team requested, and the latter still weren't fully satisfied with the result of their effort. Some of the drawbacks of the Mauser action were still evident, and some of it's good features lost.

The cartridge case still wasn't completely sealed within the action (2mm visible, compared to a little over 3mm on the Mauser).
The action wasn't very smooth, you still needed a handful to cycle it (I don't find that a problem, I was brought up on Mausers).
The trigger was less than satisfactory, with some built in (for safety reasons?) creep.
As can be seen in the picture below, they got away from the split locking lug by an alternate placement of the ejector.
The bolt stop/ejector assembly is rather flimsy, and might cause problems on some rifles.
Although still utilising the claw extractor, it's front slot in the bolt body is not undercut, meaning that it will not grip harder on a stiff case the harder you pull on the bolt. This might, at least in theory, cause the extractor to slip and tear the case rim.

This action is often referred to as the "HVA improved Mauser action", whereupon some criticise that statement claiming it is not improved upon at all compared to the 98 Mauser.
Right, it is not. I don't know where this originally came from, a faulty translation somewhere, an unknowing foreign marketing department, or perhaps simply a misunderstanding.
It is my understanding and belief that this action is indeed in most departments an improvement... On the m/94 Swedish Mauser action!
The thing is this; In the original Swedish brochures and catalogues, HVA refers to it simply as the "improved Army Mauser action". Now if you have spent any time in Sweden or with the Swedes, you'll know that to the average hunter, shooter, military man, and even to the not-so-interested man in the street, an "Army Mauser" IS an m/96 Swede. Since 1927, when HVA first introduced it in their model 46, it has been by far the most common Mauser action in use in Sweden, outnumbering the m/98 by an immeasurable amount. This despite HVA's own use of the FN 98 for a couple of years. Moreover, note that with the 1600 action being a small ring action, it is also physically more similar to the m/94 than the m/98. Just add a cock-on-closing feature.

So it is my understanding that HVA never intended to claim that they had improved on the venerable 98, but merely on the 94..."

Take it for what you paid. I shall refrain from posting comments on something I know nothing about.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,697
Posts18,494,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.