-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And we have never seen the brass plate fixed where it is shown on the catalog (because they provided the engraved plate but DID NOT MOUNT it on your gun).

In one hand we have this thread, http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3159663/1 and what Don was trying to tell us, along with the fact that no one has ever produced a B&M mount to match up with the holes.

In the other hand we have the catalog, with special mounts available and the only scopes offered in the catalog are Mossberg, no B&M in the catalog.

I just think that it is irresponsible to continue stating that the guns used the B&M mount, as if it where fact, when the only proof is a print in the B&M catalog showing the B&M mount covering the areas that these guns have holes.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fine..

So the Spiegel's were d&t'd for an unknown scope base, thought to be a Belding & Mull by most, except for 1 guy in Minnesota.

grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think its pretty irresponsable to take a artists rendition of a spiegal special with a mossberg scope and mounting blocks way foreward on a speigal rifle that no one has ever seen tapped that way and say this is "IT" !!!!! grin grin when we have several actual metal and wood rifles that are tapped correctly for the Belding & Mull scopemounts !!!!! crazy crazy Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Who has ever produced a B&M mount and confirmed that it matches the holes on these guns?

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I remember seeing a picture or an ad with the B&M mount on a 99 that would have used that hole configuration. Who has it??

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Gary,Look closely at the mossberg scope mount, it ain't within a hill of beans in what exists !!!!!!! no one that i know has actually found a Belding & Mull mount "YET" but we will! grin Its pretty obvious in the catalog it would fit on the exhisting holes. Don

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Loggah
I think its pretty irresponsable to take a artists rendition of a spiegal special with a mossberg scope and mounting blocks way foreward on a speigal rifle that no one has ever seen tapped that way and say this is "IT" !!!!! grin grin when we have several actual metal and wood rifles that are tapped correctly for the Belding & Mull scopemounts !!!!! crazy crazy Don

Yet we use the same catalog photos that shows a brass plate and checkered forarm to say that Roe Clark was wrong when he called them salesman samples.

Remembering The 99
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Mike,I think Blair had it, My Belding and Mull catalog copy shows it pretty well,but when the original gets here it will show it better. Don

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Mike, I think this is the best I've seen. You can see the screw holes in the top of the base, who has a Spiegels or pictures of the d&t of a Spiegel they can compare it to?

Hopefully somebody other than Don, he's probably getting tired of being sent out to the vault by me. grin

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Rory,i have three rifles that are tapped for those scope mounts,only one is acid etched tho. I think Boltman has a few,LBK has one seems like i know of a dozen or so.I have never seen one tapped like the Mossberg scope mounts!! Don

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
As best as I can recall, that's it. Thanks!

Is that Gary's pic on photobucket??

Never really absorbed the difference in the mounts for the takedown to leave it as a takedown. Purdy clever!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have two drilled and tapped for the irresponsible mounts grin

Blair

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can see that the scope in the catalog isn't shown mounting the way the holes are drilled. That goes right along with my point.

The b&m mount combined with these rifles, is spoken of here like it is fact when its still just speculation.

Speigle was offering a 4x scope and mount for about six and a half bucks with the rifle.

B&M was selling that 3x scope and mount for fifty six.

Remembering The 99
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
Gary,Look closely at the mossberg scope mount, it ain't within a hill of beans in what exists !!!!!!! no one that i know has actually found a Belding & Mull mount "YET" but we will! grin Its pretty obvious in the catalog it would fit on the exhisting holes. Don

So, I guess I can say with a certain degree of certainty that none of us have actually seen the Speigel's rifle with a mount attached. Correct or no.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I have not, yet grin

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have two with the roll stamping on the receiver sides. I had one other EG that was plain except for the scope mount holes. It was several years ago and I sent it back because of the, "extra" tap holes blush

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
has anyone seen one with tap holes behind the receiver but none in front?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two that are D&T'ed and have seen several others with and w/o roll engraving. It is clear that Savage D&T'ed selected rifles over several years time...not just a one time shot.

I have not seen a rifle with anything mounted using the holes or even seen a rifle that appears to have had anything mounted using the holes.

Most of these rifles fall in the serial range that was not recorded in the Savage Logs so they are not trackable. If not for the Spiegel catalog page showing the roll-engraving we would still be refering to them a Salemans Samples (though many of use had given up on that title given the number of roll-engraved rifles that had turned up).

Actually, I think the roll-engraving and the mounting holes may be two seperate issues as I have seen the mounting holes on rifles produced before the roll-engraved rifles. If Savage was drilling the holes who is to say that there was only one company making mounts to match them. Early on, I was told that the holes were for Lyman target blocks and there are rear blocks that match the holes...I'm still looking for a front.

Until a rifle/rifles turns up with a mount using these holes, I'm going to keep an open mind.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Texken, no I have not seen a rifle that only had the rear holes. It is not always easy to see the fount ones as they are under the rear sight.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
thanks, the pics didn't show it so I called and they are there

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

223 members (338reddog, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 2ndwind, 4214chip, 35 invisible), 2,991 guests, and 988 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,623
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.