Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I have a #1 in 338/378 that I'm about to work with....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
That is a Wilde rangefinder and you can read about the gun here: Link--> MOAG on LRH

Dick
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The MOAG is one wicked gun

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ss7mm
That is a Wilde rangefinder and you can read about the gun here: Link--> MOAG on LRH

Thanks ss7mm, I had forgotten about that write-up.(3years ago)
It is slightly different today, it has a 50 MOA base now and the barrel has been shortened from 36" to 33" to clean-up the throat.
B

Last edited by boatanchor; 07/11/08.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Hey, once a MOAG, always a MOAG. Shortened barrel or not it's still thumping critters, steel etc. in the next zip code area. grin

Dick
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
built by Ray Romain, rem 700 LH 6.5 Gibbs, 29.5" 1/8 krieger, seekins 20 MOA base, burris ETR's filled with a 8.5x25 mark 4, M1, TMR all in a joel russo A5-L. farthest deer and only deer shot with the rifle is 781 yards
[Linked Image]

Mark Bansner smithed UR-1, remington 700 LH, chambered in 7mm STW, 26" 1/9 twist lilja #5, high tech specialties stock in jade/black, 6.5x20 loopy in loopy mounts. farthest deer taken to date 626 yards
[Linked Image]

Kirby Allen smithed rem 700 LH chambered in 7mm Allen Mag, 30" 1/9 lilja #8, holland brake, badger extr. and lug, set in a richards THLH varminter stock, seekins rings, ken farrel 20 MOA bases. Absolutely the easiest rifle to get to shoot very well I ever messed with. I shoot nosler 160 accubonds at 3575 fps, my farthest deer taken to date was 822 yards. as my abilities surpass 1K I will switch to the 200 gr wildcats pushed by a bucketfull of WC872 to around 3300 fps.
[Linked Image]
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
We have a place in the Bridgers where we like to hunt elk. We have had some good fortune there, even if it is a small place. The property is mostly open and you have to catch the elk as they cross through early in the morning.

We shot 3 elk one morning and had them loaded in the truck and back to McDonald's for Egg McMuffins by 9:30. While we were waiting for our breakfast, several guys couldn't help but notice the truck full of elk which happened to be parked in full view of the lobby.

One of these gentlemen was bold enough to ask where we got the elk. I told him "in the Bridgers". He then asked "Where 'bouts?" I then, trying to be as gracious as I'm known to be, said "Near Flathead Pass". He pressed on.."public or private?" I figured when I told him it was private he would be satisfied we were'nt going to tell the exact spot.

No, that wasn't enough, he then asked what the guy's name was. I couldn't believe the breech of ethical standards here, and before I could squelch his curiosity, my hunting partner, Dave, methodically rubbed his chin as he looked into the distance and said " I think his name was Bob". Dumber than an Appalachian Hillbilly, he finally got it..."So you're not gonna tell us?"

This has nothing to do with long range shooting, but it is how our hunting spot became known as "Bob's Place".

This deer was shot on "Bob's Place" at 800 yards with a Weatherby 30-378 shooting a 200 grain Accubond bullet at 3300 FPS. The scope is a Schmidt & Bender 4-16X50 Varmint scope. Everything stock but the ammunition. The range was determined with a Swarovski rangefinder. No wind, nothing fancy, but this is an effective long range cartridge capable of taking game at extreme ranges.

[Linked Image]

I always like to tell the story of "Bob's Place" it makes just a photo and a bunch of bragging a bit more fun.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Cool story,but I have one question.

Bob Who? grin

Britt

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I havent shot long with it yet but it would be what I used
Ed Brown DAMARA
7mm REM
#2 Shilen 24"
McM EDGE w/ decelerator
Jewell 2 pounds
Coated in GEN III by Ed Brown
Leupold VX-III 2.5-8x36

balances well, shoots very well
plan on removing the brake

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SAKO75; 07/12/08.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
mine is undergoing a facelift and I'll post a pic as soon as she gets back smile

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My new .300 RUM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
hey Josh how did it shoot after you got the brake installed?

DDP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never shot it before I put the break on it... wouldn't want to with close to 100 grains of powder and a 240 grainer. The 210s are about like my buddies 270 WSM shooting the 140s. The break allowed me to see bullet impact at 600 yards... and allowed me to shot 37 rounds in two days. I don't think either of those would be a remote possibility sans break.

To rear children in an atmosphere of love, security, and faith is the most rewarding of all challenges. The good results from such efforts becomes life's most satisfying compensation. ~Gordon B. Hinckley
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

[Linked Image]

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
my stock came back today. I'm very happy!
[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Ya'll have such great rigs that I have hesitated to post mine here... but here it is. It's just a Sendero II SF in 300 Win Mag. I added a Limbsaver recoil pad (grrrr.... what a pain!), and a Jewell trigger, and I had to have a burr polished out of the chamber but it's stock otherwise.

It has a VX-II 6x18 AO Target on it. It's working well for me. My intent is to shoot this barrel up ASAP, then re-tube, probably in 300 WM again but who knows!

Here it is in action today. That crazy glove is my shooting glove. It has a piece of sheetmetal duct-taped onto the index finger to protect my finger from the bolt coming back. It really raises a knot on my finger otherwise.

I can shoot out to 800 yards at this spot... the cutbank on the far right, where the trees are cut in a line, is at just over 800. There's some rocks there to shoot at. I have not hiked a target over there yet.

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I dig your set up Jeff and place to shoot looks like a lot of fun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, you like that "old Levi's" pant leg sandbag <G>?

I'm just keepin' it real, yo... keepin' it real.

It is a great place to shoot. The really cool thing is, there's an informal (but nice) 100-yard range just 1/4 mile up the road, and then 1/4 past THAT is a gravel pit with about 150-yard sight lines.

So, the 100-yard spot is sheltered and shady and perfect for that kind of shooting; shooting for groups, load developement, etc. On a weekday there's never anyone there.

The 150-yard "pit" is a gas for letting loose with semi-auto's; jsut shooting rocks and so on... used to be great for running my Jeep too, but they dug it out to crush more gravel (for the roads up there) a couple years ago and ruined my trails and climbs and rock-crawling spots... in the winter there's a pond there and I throw chunks of wood out into it and shoot at 'em with my pistols. Fun.

And then I've got steel plates hung out to 600 yards in that canyon in the picture there. The only problem is, the wind is a complete mindphuck up there (pardon the language). I just about have to just shoot a couple shots to get a sense of what the vectors are all cancelling out to. It's way different every time. I have ribbons here and there, but what they show makes no sense to me most times, relative to where my sighters for the day are hitting!

Today, there was a significant breeze up where i was parked, but NO correction for wind was necessary. Yesterday, it was still up where I was shooting from, but I needed to correct about a foot at 600 yards...

It keeps me humble, and tells me that I am just a rookie at this and better not get cocky and shoot at an animal that's too far, that's for sure!

If you are ever down this way, SU35, I'll take you up there!

-jeff

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
that is a nice rig, I was going to go that route but just didn't have the cash, my 110FP does alright. still working on her smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I didn't have the cash either (@!*&$ housing market!) so I had to sell off my other long-range-specific rig, a DPMS .308 LR... that thing rocked, but it was ergonomically SO different than a bolt rifle that I felt like the practice with it was almost a negative, in terms of training my body... muscle memory and so on.

That was this one:

[Linked Image]

and it surely did work!

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

278 members (160user, 21, 2500HD, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 29 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,632
Posts18,493,023
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.