Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I was out at about 4:30 AM on Thursday. Beautiful cold, clear morning. Birds were vocal and I was in a perfect spot. I did a very few tree yelps on my 20 year old Quaker Boy box call and had birds responding, when all hell broke loose. I heard a turkey in distress and alarm putting and clucking. Next thing I saw was a coyote come out of the thick with nothing to show for his efforts. Went right past me in front. Next I see movement behind me,,,,,,,,,another coyote..........Then 2 more and one huge male stood right in front of me. I did NOT shoot,,,,,for two reasons. One NY has a season on them and the season is not now and the second is that there were too many birds around. About 15 minutes go by before I call again. I do and got a thunder back. I could see 2 birds coming to my decoy and calling. I let them get into range and waited for them to split and shot 1 of them. It was a 15 pound jake. The date on my camera is off by 1 day so please don't hold that against me. The next 2 days were rainy and terribly windy and even though I hunted both days, I came up empty. On the 4th morning it was rainy but it stopped a little after daylight. I heard gobbles, but had to relocate to take advantage of the situation. I had birds responding from 2 different locations. I was set up near a stone wall and the closest bird was on the other side. I made the fatal mistake and moved ever so slightly to get to a spot where I could see the other side. When I moved I was looking directly into the eyes of a huge longbeard. I was jiggered immediately. At the same time I heard alarm putting behind me. I looked and there were 4 jakes watching the whole thing unfold. I was able to rotate my upper body enough to get my already raised shotgun on one of them and got my second bird. This was a 17 pound jake with a 5 inch beard. I was perfectly happy with my 2 jakes. That's why they call it hunting!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
congrats on your hunts....

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Allright! congrats you and me both got jakes....WTG.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congrats,I luv NY too!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have hunted and fished NY each and every year since 1988. It has more to offer than any state I have hunted or fished. Thanks all. smile

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
So-weet!

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
LBK, I like your avatar too.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you,,,,,,,,,,,,your's ain't too shabby.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Thanks, I love elk so my avatars will probably always be an elk unless I get a wild hair. laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way to go Longbeard. Nice job.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You've enough spurs on that hat anyways!!! grin

Nice job.

DB

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you. Truth be known, I think deep down in, EVERY hunter wants to shoot a trophy buck, or shoot a hughe longbearded turkey. BUT that just isn't the way it always goes. That really why it's called hunting. You play by the rules and take what comes along. Everything put in the proper prospective make the hunt one to remember. I just happen to love hunting (and fishing)and the memories the trip makes for me. After all, I am not getting any younger and cherish every moment afield or on the water. Thanks for the compliment on my hat. I had nothing to do with it. My wife put the hat together and knit my my camo sweater.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Nice job!
Where were you hunting?
I got a 19lb 10"beard 1 1/8 spur this am.
Im in western NY .
CONGRATS!

Originally Posted By: '61'10
When I first saw the news I thought it said Obama.. Had to look three times before I realized it said Osama..

Either way I still got excited!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Hannibal, N.Y Oswego County. My second home!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LBK, Congrats, and I'll echo what you said.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Thank you !!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
congrats! And now I know what to do with those turkey spurs....

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
G
GPA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hush your mouth!....We don't want too many people knowing that there is absolutely no place on Earth like good old NEW YORK!

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I been been quiet and just readin. First of all, thanks for keeping the thread going. I hate it when turkey season is over and all the hype winds down., People from New England sort of laugh at me when I pump NY state up. Everyone thinks of New York as the city. Same thing about Massachusetts. If they would tow Boston into the ocean and give it foreign aid than the whole state would be better off. New York is a wonderful place. Too bad the city dictates how the rest of the state lives. I'll be back this Thursday afternoon for another long weekend of fishing. New Youk STATE has the most to offer in the northeast. HANDS DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin Pretty bad I can hunt and fish NY as a nonresident for LESS money than I can in NH as a RESIDENT. I can even register my boat in NY for 3 years for less money than I can in NH for 1. I am happy that I am a non smoker though. grin grin

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Wow! I'm surprised anywhere is more expensive than NY! Seems liek every time I look, the prices and added fees just keep going up!

Is it just me or was it really strange to have birds around while the coyotes were there? I figure that if I see a dog or coyote that deer and turkey have been chased out of the area. Guess I'm WRONG!

"Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart." Psalm 37, verse 4.

"The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt." Proverbs 12:27
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (1badf350, 160user, 1_deuce, 117LBS, 1lessdog, 1234, 53 invisible), 14,311 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,294
Posts18,545,259
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.