Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
But this is going to far.

LAKEVILLE, Minn. - A Lakeville man says he feels violated after two police officers woke him up at 3 a.m. to tell him his door was unlocked.

Their surprise visit was part of a public service campaign to remind residents to secure their homes to prevent thefts. Usually, officers just leave notices on doors.

But they went further in Troy Molde's case on Thursday. Police entered the house where four children under 7 were having a sleepover, and then went upstairs to Molde's bedroom.

The officers told Molde his garage door was open, the TV was on, the keys to his truck were left in the ignition and the door to his house was ajar.

A police spokesman says the intrusion was justified because the officers' initial door knocks went unanswered, and they wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

He says the kids inside � Molde's two sons and two nephews � were afraid to wake their dad, so the officers went upstairs.

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Violator22
The officers told Molde his garage door was open, the TV was on, the keys to his truck were left in the ignition and the door to his house was ajar.

So in Minnesota I can't leave my garage door open, if I want... or leave the TV on, or put my truck keys anywhere I decide I want to... or leave the house door open????

God save us from the Nanny State!!!! mad

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I

A police spokesman says the intrusion was justified because the officers' initial door knocks went unanswered, and they wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why was it going too far? What would folks be saying if the cops had just ignored it and moved on and something tragic was occurring or about to occur?

If I was a trained officer, I'd be on alert,as well!

Last edited by isaac; 06/25/08.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
They probably should have announced themselves better, I can tell ya, I would have come up with something in my hand. Plus, I don't wake well to peopkle shaking me awake, the wife stands across the room and wakes me up, I tend to come up swinging. Les

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yea, I think that is a little too far. Why didn't they just shut the door for him? I have left mine open a couple of times and one time some kids took some good beer I had just brought back from Germany! mad I hope they enjoyed it

RH

IC B2

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
He says the kids inside � Molde's two sons and two nephews � were afraid to wake their dad, so the officers went upstairs.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kids knew better than to wake up dad after he stumbles home hammered and passes out.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can tell ya, I would have come up with something in my hand.

Yah... Barak would have also. Please don't walk into our bedroom in the middle of the night for any reason... eek

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

...The officers told Molde his garage door was open, the TV was on, the keys to his truck were left in the ignition and the door to his house was ajar.

Hell, yeah!

If I'd been one of the officers, I'd have been expecting pools of blood inside.

- Tom

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by isaac
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Kids knew better than to wake up dad after he stumbles home hammered and passes out.

+1

- Tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not being familiar with Lakeville, MN., I hesitate to say that they "went to far". There have been several instances in my career where serial murderers were entering unsecured residences at night in particular parts of the city and every effort was made to capture them and protect the citizens. I suspect however, that this PD just doesn't have enough to do, are over-zealous and probably over-staffed, a luxury very few cities have.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Heck, when I lived up in Divide, Teller County Sheriff's dept shut my door for me, the wife was in Texas and I had a bit too much to drink and left the backdoor open, Lucky I didn't wake up with yotes in the house. The deputy left a note and card on my car to give him a call when I read it. Les

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Not being familiar with Lakeville, MN., I hesitate to say that they "went to far". There have been several instances in my career where serial murderers were entering unsecured residences at night in particular parts of the city and every effort was made to capture them and protect the citizens. I suspect however, that this PD just doesn't have enough to do, are over-zealous and probably over-staffed, a luxury very few cities have.

Yep, I think it's all location dependant. Though, at my house, my lab would keep them from making entry, and his bark would wake me.

Yesterday morning I was awakened by my dog. I thought it was thunder outside. He has this incredibly low growl that he can stretch out for a long time. He was downstairs in at the front door and I could literally feel the growl. Some varmint had just crossed the yard, as was evidenced by the tidy fresh pile of turds just off the front porch. Since it appeared to have berry seads I ruled out dog or cat, and he would have barked at either of those. He's rare to bark or growl, but he sounds like he means business when he does.

War Damn Eagle!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dang, that's only one town over from me. Better keep my Garage locked shocked

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I suppose it depends on the particular location, and the policies and priorities of the PD. I live in a fairly safe area, and have left the garage door open on occasion. The police patrol won't bother to stop and ring the door bell if they see it, but they will stop and put a ticket on a car in the driveway if the rear bumper overhangs the sidewalk by a hair. Not to deny the responsibility of the homeowner, but it would seem to be a reasonable crime prevention measure.

I had words with the chief about this paradox, but don't know if the policy ever changed.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not getting an answer at 3 am is unusual? WTF?

Too far. I could see maybe at noon but 3 am I wouldn't expect an answer. I guess if the TV is right in front of the window and they could tell maybe but I doubt it was like that. I fall asleep infront of the TV about 6 nights out of 7, keys in the truck (take it please!)

No one answering a knock at 3am is "suspicious" - slippery slope my friends....

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Left my garage door open overnite on several ocassions. Only thing I worry about is finding a skunk in there eating dogfood some morning. Only had the local police call once in the middle of the night to tell me my neighbors garage door was open and would I go close it because he was gone! I said heck no, close it yourself!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why was it going too far? What would folks be saying if the cops had just ignored it and moved on and something tragic was occurring or about to occur?

If I was a trained officer, I'd be on alert,as well!

Basically because a person does not have the right to go into someone's house unless invited. Being a police officer does not exempt one from curtesy, respect, and the law.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
There is no law which precludes a officer from entering a resdience where they might believe something dangerous might be occurring, including the over-all safety of those inside.Many things at this residence could have given the officers concern and reason to suspect there could be a problem inside.

We'll just have to disagree as to this and the fact I don't believe the officers were rejecting curtesy or respect, at all.

Really...where would you be if they just blew it off and a serious crime or life-threatening problem had befallen these family members?

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by .280Rem
Though, at my house, my lab would keep them from making entry, and his bark would wake me.

At my house the guard lab would mix the intruder a cocktail and point out the good silver blush

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
There is no law which precludes a officer from entering a resdience where they might believe something dangerous might be occurring, including the over-all safety of those inside.Many things at this residence could have given the officers concern and reason to suspect there could be a problem inside.

We'll just have to disagree as to this and the fact I don't believe the officers were rejecting curtesy or respect, at all.

Really...where would you be if they just blew it off and a serious crime or life-threatening problem had befallen these family members?

A person doesn't have the right to go into someone else's home uninvited. If you can't see that, there really isn't much point in discussing it.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (35, 4th_point, 257 roberts, 257_X_50, 21, 6 invisible), 2,282 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,017
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.