-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it illegal to leave your garage door open?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In the UP it is considered rude to take your keys out of the car. Someone may have to move it. smile

Me

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by isaac
The officers told Molde his garage door was open, the TV was on, the keys to his truck were left in the ignition and the door to his house was ajar.

A police spokesman says the intrusion was justified because the officers' initial door knocks went unanswered, and they wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Why was it going too far? What would folks be saying if the cops had just ignored it and moved on and something tragic was occurring or about to occur?

If I was a trained officer, I'd be on alert,as well!
This story has generated TONS of debate on the talk radio stations in the area.. On one hand, I sympathize with the cops.. On the other hand, I think they were VERY lucky that the homeowner didn't wake up before they got to his room and when they got in the doorway they weren't met with a magazine full of .45ACP..

My question is; ok so they found this wierd situation.. Are you telling me the cops can't obtain a phone number and try THAT first?? Other options?

I know that in the Shot Paul, Murderapolis area that there's rampant crime, break-ins, rapes/muggings, armed robberies; it's in the news and printed media on a daily basis.. I can understand any LEO's concern in that environment.. But IMHO those cops placed themselves in tremendous danger with their actions..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nope. It's not illegal to the victim of a crime either.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bart185
Is it illegal to leave your garage door open?

In liberal MN, it soon will be.. It's already illegal to idle your car engine for more than 3 minutes in MPLS.. (or was is St. Paul???) This moronic legislation was just passed recently.. Can't let your car idle and warm up in the winter either: Illegal..

MN is the CA of the midwest... With TAX HELL WISCONSIN right behind..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Is it me or is the "Public Safety" excuse that Law enforcement uses these days a bit overused?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"My question is; ok so they found this wierd situation.. Are you telling me the cops can't obtain a phone number and try THAT first?? Other options?"

While phone when your'e already talking to the kids?

"But IMHO those cops placed themselves in tremendous danger with their actions.. "

Maybe, maybe not. The story is not exactly coming from reliable sources.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
If it were only your children home and those facts confronted a cop, would you wish for them to walk away??

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bart185
Is it me or is the "Public Safety" excuse that Law enforcement uses these days a bit overused?

Hell yeah! Think about how easy my job would be if I didn't have to protect the public!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
The officers told Molde his garage door was open, the TV was on, the keys to his truck were left in the ignition and the door to his house was ajar.

A police spokesman says the intrusion was justified because the officers' initial door knocks went unanswered, and they wanted to make sure nothing was wrong.

Why was it going too far? What would folks be saying if the cops had just ignored it and moved on and something tragic was occurring or about to occur?

Basically because a person does not have the right to go into someone's house unless invited. Being a police officer does not exempt one from curtesy, respect, and the law.

Say this guy had been home alone, was awakened by the knocks, but was afraid to answer them being that knocks at 3am are unusual, armed himself and positioned himself to see the door, and shot "the intruders" as they entered? What then?

War Damn Eagle!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by .280Rem

Basically because a person does not have the right to go into someone's house unless invited. Being a police officer does not exempt one from curtesy, respect, and the law.

Say this guy had been home alone, was awakened by the knocks, but was afraid to answer them being that knocks at 3am are unusual, armed himself and positioned himself to see the door, and shot "the intruders" as they entered? What then?

Then you'd have a tragedy. Now all you have is an embarrassed homeowner and dumb looking cops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Then you'd have a tragedy. Now all you have is an embarrassed homeowner and dumb looking cops.

Wouldn't you agree, that if this is their policy, that it's ripe for either a cop to get shot, or an innocnent homeowner to get shot by police because of the homeowner thinking he's being burglarized and arming himself. Not to mention the problems they'll have when they walk in to someone's home without PC or a warrant and find a large stash of drugs, or, murder scene with the suspect still there.

War Damn Eagle!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

No, you would have two DEAD dumb cops and a completely justified homeowner who would be charged with first degree murder. Who, even if he beat the rap, would like have to spend thousands upon thousands in legal fees.

You would have orphans, widows, and traumatized kids just because a couple of idiots thought that they could enter someone's home in the middle of the night without being invited.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yes. But I see nothing to suggest is a department policy. It appears to be a judgement call, a risky one at that.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So Joe, the death of dumb people can't be tragic?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

He would have been charges with first degree murder if he survived the confrontation.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes. But I see nothing to suggest is a department policy. It appears to be a judgement call, a risky one at that.

Even worse if there are cops out there that need that little to go on to enter a home without a warrant at 3am, and think it's ok. I can see (in some neighborhoods) where the circumstances could give rise to suspicion, but that aint enough. I'd like to know more about this town/city demographics and crime stats.

War Damn Eagle!

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
So Joe, the death of dumb people can't be tragic?

Tragic for their families and the homeowner, but such utter and extreme foolishness mitigates against much sympathy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
my motion detectors and 4 dashounds would have given me a good indication that the cops were getting near the house well before they knocked even at 3 am, but personally Id be THANKFUL the cops told me the garage was left open, if it was the case......but then thats never going to happen due to the alarms systems won,t allow any doors or windows or motion alarms to be open or triggered when the systems set for the night, but having them come into the house is very unlikely unless I asked them as IM always the one answering the door 24/7/365.25
and Id be up looking around seconds after the dashounds started going totally nuts whiuch they do the second anyone hits the driveway

Last edited by 340mag; 06/25/08.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Even worse if there are cops out there that need that little to go on to enter a home without a warrant at 3am, and think it's ok. I can see (in some neighborhoods) where the circumstances could give rise to suspicion, but that aint enough. I'd like to know more about this town/city demographics and crime stats.

That's the first thing I looked at before making my first post.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Lakeville-Minnesota.html

Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,805 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,443
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.