Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Ethan Edwards
The British Bulldog was very popular in the late 1800's.
That too. It was very common to carry concealed in England, and no license was required. In fact there was a popular handgun designed just for bicycle touring, whose intended purpose was defense against loose dogs while bicycling in the country.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
near as i can tell reading the Montana law.....concealed carry only truly applies to with in city limit and maybe within your car....if your out doing outdoor activities outside of city limits such as hunting, hiking, farming, ranching or similar where the use of a gun is considered normal...concealed carry laws do not apply

Last edited by rattler; 06/30/08.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eleven (11) states do not have a constitutional provision on arms: California, Delaware, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, West Virginia, and Wisconsin.

FALSE

Delaware
�20. Right to keep and bear arms.
Section 20. A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and State, and for hunting and recreational use. (4-16-87)

Nebraska
Statement of rights.
CI-1 All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain inherent and inalienable rights; among these are life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness, and the right to keep and bear arms for security or defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense, hunting, recreational use, and all other lawful purposes, and such rights shall not be denied or infringed by the state or any subdivision thereof. To secure these rights, and the protection of property, governments are instituted among people, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed.

North Dakota
Section 1. All individuals are by nature equally free and independent and have certain inalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty; acquiring, possessing and protecting property and reputation; pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness; and to keep and bear arms for the defense of their person, family, property, and the state, and for lawful hunting, recreational, and other lawful purposes, which shall not be infringed.

Wisconsin
Right to keep and bear arms. SECTION 25. [As created
Nov. 1998] The people have the right to keep and bear arms for
security, defense, hunting, recreation or any other lawful purpose.
[1995 J.R. 27, 1997 J.R. 21, vote November 1998]

West Virginia
3-22. Right to keep and bear arms.
A person has the right to keep and bear arms for the defense of self, family, home and state, and for lawful hunting and recreational use.

Last edited by jackfish; 06/30/08.

You learn something new everyday whether you want to or not.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
appreciate you legal types handling all of these data.

abiding in Him,

><>fish30ought6<><
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NYS permits have 3 classes. 1)Premises. Permit number pre-fixed by "P". 2 Carry concealed, preifx "C" 3)Occupational Slightly different in form and content. Is is discretionary issue. Judges have also made up some of their own rules that are NOT in Sec 400 of the Penal Law. NYS is ripe for a major blast. All needed is "shall issue" and the rest is burned into their foreheads.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B2

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
Originally Posted by .280Rem
If any of these are in their original form from say back in the 1800s, then it would appear to me that "back in the day" concealed carry was a practice that was considered sinister or that method of carry of those bent on misdeed. Open carry was the mode of carry for the upstanding man.

Not exactly.

From what I've read,our perception of the "Old West" is drasticaly different than what it was actualy like.The only people who toted handguns in plain view were cowboys (while out on the range),and peace officers.Folks didn't go around town toting a Colt SAA on their hip.

Most of the handguns carried back then were small and usually concealed.Remember,more small handguns-such as derringers and the small top break revolvers from S&W and others-were sold than just about any other handgun.

FWIW.

WB.

Based on when some of these concealed carry clauses were drafted, I'd have to disagree. At least in some quarters, concealed carry in the 1800s was considered sinister.

Like I noted in the original post though, there's room for a "the times have changed" argument...but that leaves us open to the same argument regarding the 2A.

War Damn Eagle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
280, it appears to me that how guns were carried back then and today are more based on "dressing for the occassion" than anything else. Townies and outsiders probly took turns looking down their noses at each other...just like today.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Good observations.

IMO, the better public policy argument can be made today for concealed carry. You know...not scaring the little kiddies of soccer moms, not puttin' the fear of God in to non carryiers every time you set foot in public, not making guns readily observable and available for the bad element to take them.

War Damn Eagle!

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If any of these are in their original form from say back in the 1800s, then it would appear to me that "back in the day" concealed carry was a practice that was considered sinister or that method of carry of those bent on misdeed. Open carry was the mode of carry for the upstanding man.

Not exactly.

From what I've read,our perception of the "Old West" is drasticaly different than what it was actualy like.The only people who toted handguns in plain view were cowboys (while out on the range),and peace officers.Folks didn't go around town toting a Colt SAA on their hip.

Most of the handguns carried back then were small and usually concealed.Remember,more small handguns-such as derringers and the small top break revolvers from S&W and others-were sold than just about any other handgun.

FWIW.

WB.

Based on when some of these concealed carry clauses were drafted, I'd have to disagree. At least in some quarters, concealed carry in the 1800s was considered sinister.

Like I noted in the original post though, there's room for a "the times have changed" argument...but that leaves us open to the same argument regarding the 2A.

I don't have the legal education of an attorney, but I can't see how the "times have changed" argument can be used against us, re: the 2A proper.

To explain, it's my understanding that we are not "granted" any rights by the CotUS ... but instead, the Constitution simply acknowledges those rights, and acts to protect them. That said, if we have right to KABA, then we have that right in an inalienable sense ... it can't be taken away by the constitution, as it was never "given" to us by the constitution...

of course, how we exercise that right, might be affected by the "times have changed" argument - which has already been discussed, re: open carry vs. concealed carry ...

Now ... go ahead and explain to me how I'm errant in my thinking? ... (grin)

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good observations.

IMO, the better public policy argument can be made today for concealed carry. You know...not scaring the little kiddies of soccer moms, not puttin' the fear of God in to non carryiers every time you set foot in public, not making guns readily observable and available for the bad element to take them.

I don't know, I kinda like the concept of "Keep and bear bare arms" grin

IC B3

.280Rem Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WGM

Not exactly.

FWIW.

WB.

I don't have the legal education of an attorney, but I can't see how the "times have changed" argument can be used against us, re: the 2A proper.

To explain, it's my understanding that we are not "granted" any rights by the CotUS ... but instead, the Constitution simply acknowledges those rights, and acts to protect them. That said, if we have right to KABA, then we have that right in an inalienable sense ... it can't be taken away by the constitution, as it was never "given" to us by the constitution...

of course, how we exercise that right, might be affected by the "times have changed" argument - which has already been discussed, re: open carry vs. concealed carry ...

Now ... go ahead and explain to me how I'm errant in my thinking? ... (grin)

I didn't say that the "times have changed" argument was a good argument vs. the 2A, I merely said it was a popular argument. Liberals rarely make good arguments to support their agenda, yet they quite often make arguments that appeal to the people who don't pay much attention...the "undecided voter", the people that say they believe in the Constitution, but really don't know what it means or says and are apt to say that in one breath but follow it up by indicating they also believe that guns shouldn't be available to the general public. The ones that think they're conservatives, you know? The dangerous ones! I mean we know Obama, Clinton and their ilk...its the closet liberal posing as a conservative, and the "undecidedes" that call themselves conservatives that are the ones hard to root out.

Last edited by .280Rem; 07/01/08.

War Damn Eagle!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WGM
That's correct. We agree.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (10gaugemag, 44mc, 2500HD, 35, 69sportfury, 14 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,537
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.