Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Subject: US Supreme Court Rules on 2nd Ammendment YES

The US Supreme Court has finally ruled YES! There are quite a few news articles regarding this in today's news.

A Poll on Canoe Website asking if Canadians feel is this right?

GO VOTE !!

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Columnists/

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sure be nice if we could win the same right here. Folks need to stop voting for the Libs/NDP/Bloc etc to start with. While not perfect, the Tories are our best chance of gaining our freedoms here.
While I personally do not feel the need to carry on a daily basis, there are certain cities here in Canada I do not feel entirely comfortable being unarmed when I am in them. It would be nce to carry a handgun in the bush too. I would definately like to have the option to carry.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Originally Posted by troutfly
Sure be nice if we could win the same right here.

troutfly:

Simple enough to do. First, revolt. Second, successfully overthrow your government. Third, write a new constitution, incorporating such a right. Fourth, fight like hell to keep it. smile

It's been done before.

- Tom

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I wish our Canadian brothers had that right too! Not all of the Canadian countrymen are gun hating liberals. You were free once!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by tjm10025

Originally Posted by troutfly
Sure be nice if we could win the same right here.

troutfly:

Simple enough to do. First, revolt. Second, successfully overthrow your government. Third, write a new constitution, incorporating such a right. Fourth, fight like hell to keep it. smile

It's been done before.

- Tom

I don't see where we would need to take it quite that far. (The overthrow the govt part) Yes we need to revolt as voters to bring about the kind of change in govt we need to have in place to make the needed changes to our Constitution. I think we are closer than folks realize to gaining our firearms rights. There are orgs such as the NFA and CSSA (both similar to the NRA)working towards these goals and there are politicians, granted mainly in the West, at the Federal and Provincial levels who are very supportive as well. While the number of hunters seems to be declining in Canada, there are more folks taking up the other shooting sports such as IPSC, Cowboy Action etc. Canadians are standing up and admitting to being gunowners once again and doing so without coming across as being a bunch of vigilantes or bubba's. It is a slow process but I am optimistic that we will gain our right to gunownership etc. While there are some very loud anti's here in Canada, mainly in urban Ontario/Quebec, alot of folks are seeing through the charade that the Liberals shoved down our faces for what it is.

Last edited by troutfly; 06/28/08. Reason: added content
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good article Troutfly, and I agree we don�t need to get violent to get our rights back. The pen is mightier than the sword. Just see the disaster that we now see on some streets of major cities where whitemen are now a minority and the violence is the highest. Wonder what the connection is. LEO take a 6 month course and are let loose on the streets, while we take a lifetime course with firearms and aren�t allowed to have them even in our homes.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
One of the goals of the United Nations is that all the countries that belong, have gun laws that disarm their citizens. They do not like our solventry. I think that a president named Hussein Obama, may be just political & liberal enough to offer this solventry right up to them.

n007 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Good one troutfly, I love it when people are positive about the possibilies of change. First we have to believe that we can change things and then start working towards that goal. We are doomed when we take the attitude that we are screwed before we start and things are only going to worse.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guys, just one note here about the U.S. 2nd Amendment. We were never granted the right to keep and bear arms by our government because that right is one that predated our government (and it could be argued predated all earthly governments). I know some of the guys from the U.S. talk in terms of the 2nd Amendment granting a right, but the 2nd Amendment merely recognizes, and most importantly forbids the infringement of, a right that already existed.

I wish you success in having all of your rights recognized and respected by your governmental bodies, including rights we to your south all too often take for granted (e.g., free speech, religion, right to keep and bear arms). Based on the tyrannical actions of people in your various governments over the past few years (e.g., forbidding Christian pastors from preaching against actions the Bible describes as sin), you face a steep uphill battle, but always know that you have friends south of the border.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Watch out Canuks!! This is a public forum, and since you have NO constitution which gives you the right to free speach, talk of revolution might not go over so well with your Big Brother.

Wayne

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Really, one can only look at this in a positive light. One reality I learned during my career in the CF is the fact that if you are demoralized , then those around you will also suffer demoralization, which in turn leads to defeat.

We are coming out ahead in our drive towards firearm rights. By spreading the message in a positive manner highlighting the safe and law abiding use of guns in Canadian society we are showing the folks who are anti-gun who don't know why they are anti-gun other than someone told them guns were bad.

Lots of people are seeing that it is the criminal with a gun who is the real issue now more than ever, not the guy or gal who hunts or shoots for recreation. I think that folks are quietly wondering " why can't I defend myself/family/neighbour etc?"

One advantage we here in Canada have over the US in our fight for rights is that fire arms law in Canada is, for the most part, a Federal issue whereas in the US it is a mish=mash of Fed, State, County, City laws. Yes we have Toronto trying to dictate to gunowners through bullying and questionable bylaws what they can and can't own but I for one do not see it passing the stink test in court.

I truely believe we will win this. If the Liberals get back in power we are likely to have some dark days but I think that Canadians are still ready for change through the Conservatives.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I for one - don't think Americans have any rights I'd want to have an internal war killing tens of thousands of people for!

We are as free as any country on earth - maybe we have more freedom than any.

Hell, I can hop on a plane and LEGALLY vacation on a beach in Cuba if I want too - that's freedom! I can open a business in that country too - or any other country on earth I damn well please. That's freedom too!

"Paper rights" - are PAPER rights - and they are worth as much as the paper they're writtten on.

What's on paper - doesn't count.

It's how you get to live!

What good does it get to have a piece of paper stating "all men are created equal - with inalianable rights" - when in practice - you have slavery? What good is having a "Second Amendment" when you have cities that have banned handguns for decades? No city in Canada has EVER banned them!

That's the difference between "paper freedom" - and REAL freedom!

Canada - as imperfect as it is - year in and year out, is recognized world-wide as being one of the finest places on earth to live!

Not for what we WRITE about it's freedoms - but rather, how we actually LIVE it!

I'M A CANADIAN - AND I'M DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pretty obvious hallucinogenic stuff is readily available there, too. wink

"Tens of thousands"? Where would that be????

How many provinces have "must issue" laws for CC?

How many have a case like Heller that asserts we NOW have an individual right to firearms, including handguns?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by BCBrian
I for one - don't think Americans have any rights I'd want to have an internal war killing tens of thousands of people for!

We are as free as any country on earth - maybe we have more freedom than any.

Hell, I can hop on a plane and LEGALLY vacation on a beach in Cuba if I want too - that's freedom! I can open a business in that country too - or any other country on earth I damn well please. That's freedom too!

"Paper rights" - are PAPER rights - and they are worth as much as the paper they're writtten on.

What's on paper - doesn't count.

It's how you get to live!

What good does it get to have a piece of paper stating "all men are created equal - with inalianable rights" - when in practice - you have slavery? What good is having a "Second Amendment" when you have cities that have banned handguns for decades? No city in Canada has EVER banned them!

That's the difference between "paper freedom" - and REAL freedom!

Canada - as imperfect as it is - year in and year out, is recognized world-wide as being one of the finest places on earth to live!

Not for what we WRITE about it's freedoms - but rather, how we actually LIVE it!

HAPPY CANADA DAY!!!

I'M A CANADIAN - AND I'M DAMN PROUD OF IT!!!

Now that is just sad. grin

Canadian freedom of speech for an example

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How many Canadian cities have ever banned handguns?

Answer - ZERO

Well here's some figures of Americans fighting in America.

American Revolution - between 25,000 and 50,000 in total.

American Civil war 618,000 - at least.

10,000 more Americans in the war against Mexico.

Plus more Native Americans - than you could believe.

Plus these: http://members.aol.com/usregistry/allwars.htm

For what?

Americans live in one of the finest countries on earth today...but so do Canadians. But we did it, largely, without the death, carnage and destruction. For the most part, as I said before - Canada's history - is one of negotiation. And, we too have a great country.

Canada is just as fine a place as America is to live in today - and by and large, we founded our country peacefully. Now THAT is something a people can be REALLY proud of! Canada's history - one of negotiation rather than annihilation.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by BCBrian
How many Canadian cities have ever banned handguns?

Answer - ZERO

Well here's some figures of Americans fighting in America.

American Revolution - between 25,000 and 50,000 in total.

American Civil war 618,000 - at least.

10,000 more Americans in the war against Mexico.

Plus more Native Americans - than you could believe.

Plus these: http://members.aol.com/usregistry/allwars.htm

For what?

Americans live in one of the finest countries on earth today...but so do Canadians. But we did it, largely, without the death, carnage and destruction. For the most part, as I said before - Canada's history - is one of negotiation. And, we too have a great country.

Canada is just as fine a place as America is to live in today - and by and large, we founded our country peacefully. Now THAT is something a people can be REALLY proud of! Canada's history - one of negotiation rather than annihilation.

Sounds pretty good to me.

It's ok to be proud of your country. Just don't try to act as if your sh*t doesn't stink.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You are right.

I was just making the point - you don't need death, war and destruction - in order to be free.

In fact, most civilized countries have managed to achieve their own freedom and managed to avoid wars to get it - by and large.

"Give me liberty - or give me death" always struck me as a Hobson's choice.

Canada's motto might as well be - "Give me liberty - while we find away to avoid death."

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am pro Canada, but Canada could not have become what it is, and reamin so, without the USA. While the CF is an excellent military and a great asset, the US Military is who really keeps Canada safe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is considerably more cultural difference between the US and Canada than appears on the surface. We shake hands the same but don't think nor value the same. This thread is pulling out difference, and neither side is perceiving fully what the other is saying.

Brian is expressing well a deeply held Canadian value that has a much lower value in the US: compromise and negotiation.

Believe it or not, Americans, those words are generally held in high esteem by Canadians, and as they define them, they are worthy of respect.

OTH, Brian is fudging a bit on hand gun laws: no Canadian city needs to ban them because the Feds have made it illegal to carry them anyway.

I do not have as high expectations for better Canadian gun laws, but hope that Troutfly is correct in his optimism. I won a bet I wish I'd lost, that the Conservatives would not repeal the gun registration if elected. Leaving it unenforced but still on the books is bad. That generates disrespect for all law, as all bad laws and bad enforcement do. Personally I consider any firearm in Canada a pre-confiscation artifact, and won't put much money or affection into confiscation specials.

As to the rest of Canada: the people are great, the fishing and climate are tops in BC anyway, tandoori and steaks are good, and the quiet superior arrogance of not being an American is a delightful ambiance. Canada needs help with Tex Mex, barbecue and iced tea but it's a short run to the border for the majority of Canada's population to get a fix of good salsa.

We, on both sides of the border, have just celebrated our respective national independence days, and are collectively the most blessed people in world history. I'm grateful.

FWIW I am supposed to be in the interior jungle of West Africa this moment, where I would be longing for the Pacific Northwest. But due to a family health scare, I'm here enjoying a light rain and cool weather rather than gooey with sweat lying on wet sheets under a mosquito net. And no concerns here that some pseudo rebel thug with an AK is going to interrupt my sleep.

Let's enjoy what we have, but neither count on it nor quit working to make it better.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You say things much more diplomatically than I.

You are right.

In regards to handguns - we can't "carry" in any city - but we can "own" - in every city.

But - as you said - we have two great counties to be proud of - north of the Mexican border.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

587 members (007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 117LBS, 56 invisible), 2,482 guests, and 1,341 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,929
Posts18,518,914
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.