Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Do you guys where any hearing protection in the field? if so what?

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No...But I don't shoot any thing with a muzzle brake on it...I do wear muffs or inserts when shooting any other time, but not while hunting...

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I used amplified muffs when hunting varmints or culling and have plugs on me when hunting big game. I might not use the plugs for my own shot but if Im spotting for someone else I will slip them in.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have thought about this too I see all the guys on tv are wearing the plugs with a neck strap. Where I hunt in the timber things happen pretty fast I don't have a lot of time to see animal and put in plugs but for antelope I might trying carring some. Always have muffs when practicing. I think it is a good idea not sure how practical but some of the time might be better than none of the time.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Exactly what i was thinking ehunter. Might as well carry them..

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Happy Birthday, sportsfan7292. You're one day younger than me!

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I carry plugs or muffs all the time. Sometimes you just don't have time... but stand hunting in TX I generally do.
I do some dove/duck, and finally at 43 bought a set of amplified muffs, won't hunt without them again.
Even have muffs for the lab to wear on the airboat.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I use ear plugs on a metal head band when handgun hunting. I put them in before firing. I haven't missed a chance in the field by taking this step (other things have happened but that's another story). In any event, I'll continue to use them when firing a magnum revolver in the thick woods.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks bulletbutt smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Happy Birthday Sportsfan. Sorry I didn't notice. Hope you have a good one!

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I use a walkers digital game ear combined with a hearing aid type ear plug to block noise.

When I shoot it cuts out the blast, but it does throw off your sense of direction a bit.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Happy birthday sportsfan.

spotshooter I have wondered about the walker ear do they pick up sounds pretty good from a distance I have a buddy that is always talking about it some times when we hear a bugle we cup our ears we look like dorks but it does work he is always talking about them. Now can you shoot with them right? You say it can mess up your balence were you kidding or being serious?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
ehunter,

I use on in my left ear to block the blast from the muzzle.
I've lost about 25-40% of the hearing in my left ear ... due to shooting live fire.

Now there is a tad (small amount) of delay added to the sounds making it into my left ear so when I hear a sound it's normally about 30 degrees off from where I thought it was (for close sounds). For far off sounds I can crank the unit up if I want and then I can pick up turkeys purring in between the leaves they are stirring up. I normally keep it just at normal so it corrects my hearing loss.

Spot

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks spotshooter sorry about your ear but that is good to know I will pass it on to him. My ears are getting older too I find that I have to turn the volumn up on game days grin!

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Thanks highbrass and ehunter! and thanks for talking talking up this forum.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One of our members hunts with a biggie handgun. Always takes the field wearing standard earmuffs. The right side is in place, while the left rests above his ear. At shooting time, even when a jack explodes out of a sage, while his right hand is drawing the gun his left is pulling down the left muff.

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I have my hearing aids set up to turn off when I shoot. They work like ear plugs. The guy I bought them from set them up to turn off at the sound of gun fire. They tuen back on in12 sec. Very nice. The hearing aids are the best thing I ever bought. Iam only 30 and have had hearing lose at brith. They rock

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S

Unlike the walker game ear my hearing aid doesn't introduce any delay. I haven't shot with it in yet to see if it clips the loud noises but I'm pretty sure it would.

Walkers game ear (digital) like I have costs around $400, a hearing aid on the other hand is $1,800 for a good one.

Spot

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use the walker digital camo muffs. They amplify sound by about 8-9 times and shut out any loud noise. Too many years in the Infantry has left my hearing pretty well shot so I need the amplification.

Retired U.S. Army
LM-NRA,GOA,& MOAA.

Someone said, "Don't mess with old men, especially those who are veterans!!!
They'll not fight you, they'll kill you"!!!

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
lost most of my hearing shooting or running heavy machinery, I carry a pair of caboflex ear protectors all the time where ever I go, even shooting the 22s with my kids. And they wear plugs also, I dont want them to end up like me

ignorance-everyone is born with it, some more than others
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 41 invisible), 2,092 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,223
Posts18,504,188
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.