Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yeh, I used to regularly fish in a small open aluminum boat on open water from sunrise to sunset under a HOT GLARING/REFLECTING SUN and high temperatures ... bare head, bare skin, no eye protection ... and I often ended up VERY sick and almost completely disoriented.

I did drink plenty of BEER ... and that didn't really help.

I also never sought medical attention, but I WAS later informed about the serious dangers and real consequences of heat/sun stroke- and have since, always taken precautionary measures to protect my head, eyes, and all the rest, from over-exposure.

The last sun-burn I have even since had was, ONE TIME going out fishing with my cap, shades, long sleeves and long pants legs ... but NO shoes (bare-foot). I didn't think THAT would hurt ... but it sure DID.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cold water also takes longer to Hydrate you. Your body has to bring the temp up to close to your body temperature in order to absorb it.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Kinda a side issue with the heat is taking care of your hide.
I've been wearin' one of these at work lately.
Skin cancer isn't a kind screw. Killed my grandpa and almost got my mom.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
take salt tabs, what your calling heat stroke is more likely heat exahstion, with possible some dehydration thrown in BTW just drinking fluids will not keep away dehydration the lack of salt in your system is also a factor. Next time you start feeling sick take a salt tab see if it helps.

Declaration of Independance, in ENGLISH
U.S. Constitution, in ENGLISH
U.S. Bill of Rights, in ENGLISH
If you cannot or don't want to learn ENGLISH, go back to the third world cesspool you came from
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Kinda a side issue with the heat is taking care of your hide.
I've been wearin' one of these at work lately.
Skin cancer isn't a kind screw. Killed my grandpa and almost got my mom.

[Linked Image]

Sam, is that the one they label "Desert Rhat".......If so, where did you get it ?,.....Mine's lookin' pretty shabby.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
GTC, here's a link.

http://www.glacieroutdoor.com/products_sun.php

Bought it at SW for $15.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I'm about ready to die in the hard hat, that is required on the job were on now. My head isnt getting any air, I think im goona drill some big azz holes in the top of it, should make it a lil nicer, an the foreman can kiss my azz if he dont like it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just spent an hour and a half meeting my Kairos committee by teleconference. One of the participants lives in California. She said it was 6:30 pm there and still 106 degrees! eek

Penny

Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen. --Hebrews 11:1
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We were pourin' hand curb this afternoon and one of my bud's took a chute to his thick skull. It was a miracle he survived without a hat....grinnin'

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yea, were havin to do the whole kit an kaboodle. Steel toe boots,saftey vests,saftey glasses,hardhats, condoms, etc etc.

Do you know how hard it is to trowel out the lil highs an lows in a sidewalk when you got these goofy glasses that are fogged up. We finnally convinced the saftey guy that we didnt need the glasses to trowel mud.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Here's to mud in your eye.

Maser Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Barak's Womn
Just spent an hour and a half meeting my Kairos committee by teleconference. One of the participants lives in California. She said it was 6:30 pm there and still 106 degrees! eek

Penny

It's a little after 9PM now and it's 95 outside. Makes me wish I was still living at home so I could take a long night time swim. frown Perfect night time weather too. frown

I'm Libertarian for these 3 reasons:

1.) I'm American
2.) I'm not insane enough to be Democrat
3.) I'm not wussy enough to be Republican

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
an it was 102 in the shade

allright im done bitchen...........till tomorrow

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The clutch finally went to hell on my work truck this afternoon and I need to swap out all of our chit at 5:30 tomorrow morning if that makes you feel any better....grin

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nope it dont. We got 56 yards of mud ordered tomorrow for that darn curb machine. an its supposed to be hotter than today.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Straight shots or a bunch of tie ins?

Should be done in time for brunch regardless?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
We got 1 1/2 hours from time the mud is batched until we have to send it back. According to the state (state job) Goona leave us with about 30 mins per truck. And we cant add more n a few gallons o water to it either.

No tie-ins but a bunch of short runs.

We will be fine, but were goona be whipped.

I cannot believe you hi-jacked this thread, Sam

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As far as I know they do not keep records of work place accidents the are caused by heat emergencies, Things like SamOlson bud taking a chute to the head or people that fall of latters, trips and falls, stepping out infront of Heavy equpment ect..
I will say to stay away from the salt pills and use sport drinks they are desined to replace what your body needs.
You should have to pass liquid at least once evey 4 hours and if it dark yellow you still need more liquid.
Stay away from caffein. Coffee, Tea, soda pop.
also stay away from alcohol, if you do drink have 3 glasses of water for every drink contaning alcohol

If you cann't stand my spelling use the ingore feature.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Have fun tomorrow Bogger. We have 25 yards at 7:30 when it's nice and cool. Of course the machine seals it up pretty well anyway.

Safety first!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Use a camelback, wear a soaking wet handkerchief around your neck, pound the liquids, eat right even when you don't feel like it, and sign your organ donor card. It sounds like you're already prone to heat injury due to physiology and your previous bouts with it. Every time you get heat exhaustion, you're more susceptible to it the next time. I.e. every time the heat makes you feel like crap, you'll feel like crap sooner next time. And heat stroke is a whole new level of jacked up worse than heat exhaustion. It's way more than not feeling right, full-on heat stroke is not too many steps away from dead.

Keep it up and eventually you'll barely be able to take the heat at all. The whole "I'm young and bulletproof" thing doesn't last very long.

SD

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (160user, 1badf350, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,360
Posts18,506,334
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.