-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An LVSF has it all over a walnut BDL in my book, even if you have to spend another $45 on a pin/shroud swap. Floorplates are overrated, big time. Take the LVSF and run. How much will it cost you to upgrade the BDL to a SS fluted barrel and decent fiberglass stock? A hell of a lot more than $45. (grin)

You can always shoot it with the J-lock until you've got some extra change for the swap. Easy, easy decision.

Last edited by JPro; 07/13/08. Reason: sp

Now with even more aplomb
HR IC

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jpro, I had those same thoughts.........however, I have been doing several searches and found more than one or two posts where guys were not able to get them to GROUP. As in nothing less than 1.5 inches at 100 yards..with ANY loads.

I found one (already gone)that the guy sold for 450 SHIPPED because of that reason. Most you know what a Stainless Fluted bolt gun cost normally......

Gut instinct tells me the LVSF is the better deal but BTW, the 700 BDL was upgraded to a B&C stock but is blued, non fluted but lordy have I had a ton of em just like that without any complaints.

I'm up in the air on this and think I'm just going to wait (maybe). I have the Swift VSSF to shoot and a 243 to move here in a couple weeks, (maybe) "HERE" as in our classifieds here on this site.

Kinda HATE waiting........17 Rems in a LVSF aren't the most COMMON gun around......the 17 Rem in a nice gun (that I can afford) PERIOD isnt all that common.

I apologize to those here for the J-lock only info........I get side tracked and DO appreciate everyone's opinion.

Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/13/08.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JPro
Floorplates are overrated, big time.

BIG +1. While I have a bunch with and a bunch without, if it's a new build, it's always sans the floorplate.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
NEW BUILD? whistle I WISH! I'm not only old (even if "NEW" here) the thought of a "new build" is akin to Caddy Escalade to drive to work for us "average lower middle income" gun nuts. blush

Might be an interesting new thread? To be HONEST, out of all the 700s in dang near 50 years of owning them, I've never had one without. Just used to one AND see the resale value differences, unless I'm missing something.

To Floorplate or Not to Floorplate.....That is the Question!

and WHERE did my signature go? It SAYS "add signature to post" and it's checked. Dangit
Steve

Last edited by Steve692; 07/13/08.

"I realize that it is natural for the people who disagree with me to think I am wrong, and I am not so arrogant as to deny that possibility."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
While I wouldn't have an issue buying a Rem with a J-Lock, I would definitely consider the cost of the replacement as part of the purchase price and negotiate accordingly.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We've got 2 with J locks and haven't had any trouble.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the J-Lock sucks for many reasons ... but the reality is that as long as you carry the "key" with you, and maintain the rifle properly, the odds are that it won't cause you any ills ...

so, don't let a J-Lock scare you away from a potentially nice purchase ... just run it as-is, until you can replace it - IF you feel it needs replacing.

And as far as people with LVSF rifles that won't group ... I haven't heard of that yet, but I guess it's possible. The one I have - which started life as a 7mm-08 - didn't group like a bench rifle at first, but with some load work-up and a re-crown, it stays around 3/4MOA, which is more than fine for a hunting rifle ...

of course, right now, it's being punched out to 7-08 Ackley, but that's just because I felt like it ...

-WGM-
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have one of those pictures too. The Cult of the J-lock replacement! smile
[Linked Image]

Art was kind enough to replace mine and adjust my trigger. Thanks, Art!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

282 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,074 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.