Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#2308179 07/13/08
Newguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I went scalloping yesterday. Had a blast, but I have never cooked scallops before. Any suggestions?

Planning on cooking them quickly in olive oil if I can't find any better recipes.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Did this the other day with noodles and cream sauce.

Salt and pepper on the scallops.

Would do it again.

Newguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank I may try that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
wrap in BACON, place on grille for 5 min. --turn--cook for 3 min--eat. HMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD--

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you get Bay Scallops or Sea scallops. I'd guess Bay scallops based on your location. For something this fresh I would never want to cover up that delicate flavor. I love theese little gems cooked over charcoal on aluminum foil with just a little butter, lemon, S&P.
Scallops are one of the foods I really enjoy fried as well. The list is pretty endless. Pan seared, Cold smoked. Seviche. Newburg.
But my favorites are the simple ones. Grilled, fried or seviche.

Dave

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Newguy
I went scalloping yesterday. Had a blast, but I have never cooked scallops before. Any suggestions?

Planning on cooking them quickly in olive oil if I can't find any better recipes.
Saute them in butter and then squirt lemon on them while still in the pan. Remove them. Turn up the heat on the liquid in the pan. Add to the liquid a quarter cup of white wine mixed with a teaspoon of corn starch and stir while boiling till desired thickness. Salt to taste. Pour over scallops. Sprinkle on some chopped fresh Italian parsley.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No phleeease not corn starch slurry over fresh scallops. For something this fresh and delicate at least attempt a beurre blanc and if you really need to stabilize the sauce use fresh heavy cream so you finish with beurre nantais. wink

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by cdhunt
wrap in BACON, place on grille for 5 min. --turn--cook for 3 min--eat. HMMMMMMMMMMM GOOD--

My favorite way!!

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Stetson
No phleeease not corn starch slurry over fresh scallops. For something this fresh and delicate at least attempt a beurre blanc and if you really need to stabilize the sauce use fresh heavy cream so you finish with beurre nantais. wink
The "slurry" is only the combo of cornstarch and a cool liquid. Once you add it to the butter and lemon juice and boil and stir it, it becomes part of a delicate and delicious sauce. You don't pour the slurry over the scallops.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My late dad and I used to go scalloping in Niantic Bay in CT. Back then the limit was 3 bushel baskets each. We dredged them up with a steel basket connected to a 10' pole while standing in a rowboat.

You throw out everything but the single muscle. That muscle tastes best to me raw. If you cook them do what tastes best to you but they don't need to be over cooked. Of course we eat raw oysters and clams here as well. Not sure about FL.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
The "slurry" is only the combo of cornstarch and a cool liquid. Once you add it to the butter and lemon juice and boil and stir it, it becomes part of a delicate and delicious sauce. You don't pour the slurry over the scallops.

It's still corn strarch slurry and once you bring it to temp it's going to thicken. If you use even a little too much or do not bring it up to 170 it will taste like starch or be unbalanced. You are already using butter and lemon as well as reducing white wine. A beurre blanc would be a much much better choice and if you are worried about breaking the sauce just add double cream instead of your corn starch slury. If you finish that of with a liason finale which is a schmancy way of saying remove the sauce from the heat and wisk in cold pats of butter it will tighten up as well. The only reason to use corn starch would be to save less than $2.00 on cream. If it's a health issue then you need to skip the butter any how. smile
Technically incorrect (beurre blanc does not have cream) here is a video that demonstrates the technique. Also I would suggest using fresh lemon juice for this application Vs the white wine vinegar.

http://video.epicurious.com/?fr_story=bd87b4b5cf4d831f7714f84939d7db677c3fbe30&rf=sitemap

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My neighbors went out to Crystal River and brought back two gallons of bay scallops.
They shucked them, dipped them in milk, then breading, and fried the little guys until golden brown.

Sam......

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

It's still corn strarch slurry and once you bring it to temp it's going to thicken. If you use even a little too much or do not bring it up to 170 it will taste like starch or be unbalanced. You are already using butter and lemon as well as reducing white wine. A beurre blanc would be a much much better choice and if you are worried about breaking the sauce just add double cream instead of your corn starch slury. If you finish that of with a liason finale which is a schmancy way of saying remove the sauce from the heat and wisk in cold pats of butter it will tighten up as well. The only reason to use corn starch would be to save less than $2.00 on cream. If it's a health issue then you need to skip the butter any how. smile
Technically incorrect (beurre blanc does not have cream) here is a video that demonstrates the technique. Also I would suggest using fresh lemon juice for this application Vs the white wine vinegar.

http://video.epicurious.com/?fr_story=bd87b4b5cf4d831f7714f84939d7db677c3fbe30&rf=sitemap

Sounds like you might have had some training as a chef. Did you study the subject?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That looks delicious. Thanks for the video. My mother makes that suace for salmon, but never told me how to make it. I intend to give it a try.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The huge scallops we get direct from the boats here are the best!!! Raw works for me. Barely grilled on skewers is hard to beat. Overcooking scallops is grounds for mutiny.

Ceviche is quite acceptable, too.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes and I just wanted to say there is nothing wrong with your sauce or the concept. However when you use starch, arrowroot etc as a binder you must cook it out. If it's too thick you thin it or if it's overly thin you add more slurry. You can't just stop when you think it's the proper thickness or the results will be dissapointing.
Some time in the 80's IIR the ACF chef of the year for Fl did a sauce like yours but I believe he incorporated caramobola and blood oranges. Your sauce will work very well on fin fish especially that which has any sort of coating that will offer a texture contrast such as flour dredged grouper or whitfish encrusted with oatmeal or walleye with sweet and white potato scales. But I find the starch texture just not to my liking for shellfish in general.
Your just so close to a classic sauce and it's not difficult at all. You can add any imaginable element to beurre blanc. I did a tomato cucumber beurre blanc on poached salmon escallops on one menu.
You can also switch to red wine and turn your sauce to beurre rouge. Disneys Flying Fish at the boardwalk in Orlando did a potato encrusted snapper with beurre rouge as a signature dish.
Either way just have fun with it and try some of theese out. Some times they use really big names for stuff that is just not difficult at all. wink

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I just noticed your avatar is a chef with a huge chef's knife.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Just made a Scallops last week when were on Cape Cod!

Charcoal grill
Large Scallops
Sprinkle of Paul Prudhomes everything spice

Made a sauce of

Butter
Splash of Paddy's Irish whiskey
Cream
Little Crushed black pepper
Spinkle of dried red peppers
reduced to thick

Sauce on the plate, added the Scallops. They were great right of the grill, sauce or without sauce!

Followed those up with a lobster race, with all race participants getting boiled in seawater, then they were gone!

smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My latest obsession on how to eat scallops is to make egg wash and dip one side of each big juicy sea scallop in and plop in a plate of seasoned bread crumbs and parmigiano cheese. Don't flip it, just let it adhere to the top. Now in a little butter and light oil like canola, fry the scallop crispy on the breaded side (the cheese makes crispy quickly) and give a quick turn on the other and serve. I like them like that. I'm also giving littlenecks the same treatment and frying them crumb side down in ...... wholesome bacon fat! Wow are they good!

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I eat oysters raw and have eaten the muscle in scallops raw too. Is there any reason the entire scallop can't be eaten rather than just the muscle ?

Rolly
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 37 invisible), 2,086 guests, and 1,107 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,090
Posts18,501,862
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.