Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
AFP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Let me throw in my .005 cents worth on neck measuring turning.
I modified my RCBS Casemaster to accept RCBS flash hole pilots for measuring neck wall thickness. I found the factory set-up too slow and too susceptible to error for me.

If I do decide to turn necks--which is rare for me with hunting rifles--I run each case over a Sinclair expander mandrel first. this transfers all the irregularities to the outside of the case to be turned off. I then turn the minimum amount of brass off the get the necks to .001" or less variation in neck wall thickness.

I use a Sinclair neck turner NT 3000 and turn down as far as the cutter will cut. I have never had a donut problem.

I also use an expander ball when sizing as much as I can. I think this is especially important with unturned necks as it keeps all the irregularities n the outside of the case neck where they won't affect bulelt seating and bullet pull.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Blaine, quit making things so simple. smile

I decided to turn necks, just to see how it all works, and learn and try something new. I opened up the necks first with a button, then used a Redding case neck gauge to sort the brass.

I sorted brass, and separated out everything >.0015". I took those (~15% of this lot), and made my cutter adjustment on them. I turned until I got at least a RCH <.001".

I am thinking that now I can turn the rest of the cases in that lot with the same cutter depth.

BTW, this is for hunting rifles.

My RP .308 brass gave me ~18% > .0015".
My RP 7-08 brass was <10%.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by mathman
You'll find that a lot of the neck runout people blame on those evil expander balls really comes from neck walls that are not even around their circumference.

I've demonstrated this with a plain vanilla RCBS FL sizer I use a lot for loading 308 ammunition. If I size a piece of brass with no expander ball and check it the neck runout is basically surface noise from the brass moving under the tip of the dial indicator. If I put the expander ball in place, unscrewed a half turn from locked down, and size a piece of good brass the runout on the neck will usually show a thousanth or less and always less than two thousanths. Doing the same with a piece of brass with a bad neck will make the runout go wild.

Your seating die will have an easier time putting them in straight when the brass is even and sized straight too.

mathman

Mathman,

Before measuring runout, did you first measure neckwall thickness to determine "good" vs "bad" brass?

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Donut update

I have a Hart barrel 280AI with a .313" neck, I turn necks to .0125" so the math is .284"+.0125"+.0125"=.309" which should leave .004" clearance.

Well, I definitely have a donut. This shows how far the bullet will go into a fired unsized case
[Linked Image]

So I sent off for a Forster reamer not knowing if I would need a hand crank trimmer or if I could use it in my Forster hand turner. It came in and, thank you Forster for being a fine company, the reamer and the hand turner mandrel are the same size
[Linked Image]

The case before I started measured .0125" neck thickness
[Linked Image]

and looked like this inside (you can't see the do-nut)
[Linked Image]

Then I locked the reamer in the turner and adjusted the blade
[Linked Image]

to ream the inside and turn the outside (just a touch up since these had been turned when new) at the same time
[Linked Image]

The reamer took a little off the inside and followed the neck without a wobble and the donut was gone-gone, bye-bye
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bwestfall/CASE%20PREP/DSCN0717.jpg[/img]

The case was reduced in thickness .0005"
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bwestfall/CASE%20PREP/DSCN0718.jpg[/img]

The inside of the case was a little rough
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bwestfall/CASE%20PREP/DSCN0721.jpg[/img]

So I chucked it in my Zip Trim and steel wooled it
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bwestfall/CASE%20PREP/DSCN0719.jpg[/img]

and it came out smooth and shiny (well at least smoother and shinier)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bwestfall/CASE%20PREP/DSCN0720.jpg[/img]

So I have come to the following conclusions:

1. If you have a factory chamber and substantial neck clearance then you probably won't have a problem with do-nuts even if you have them
2. If you have a tight necked chamber you can turn your necks for .003" or .004" clearance and get rid of the do-nut with the Forster reamer

BTW, in answer to your first question about what to measure the case necks with, I just recently got a Holland's micrometer holder and it is like having a third hand
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/bwestfall/CASE%20PREP/DSCN0727.jpg[/img]

Big difference, I'm as happy as a gopher in soft dirt! Plan to try 5 identical loads with the do-nut and without the do-nut to see if I want to get rid of them or not.

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Criminals prefer unarmed victims and dictators prefer unarmed citizens
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
woods, once again thanks for your great illustrations, and taking the time to share them. What brand mic is that?

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

Italian Proverb

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is a Frankford Arsenal http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=257288 . I have had trouble with Frankford Arsenal stuff before but this micrometer seems to be doing fine.

and the holder is a Hollands http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=798812

"The beauty of the 2nd amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it" - Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey woods, you're a helluva salesman! I'm going to buy that stand; the Starret runs much more than that and it looks like it will do the job, thanks. Bet you could convince someone to go into a cave after a bear!

I too have managed to get rid of some small donuts with a floating reamer. If you go in slowly and not cut too agressively, and if the donut isn't too much larger on one side, you can. However, I'll repeat, the reamer in addition to cutting also slightly expands the brass so that when you are done there is a bit of springback. Where the donut is located you can't quite reach with the tube micrometer but if you split a case and measure from the side you will note a difference measured in the .0000".

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobski

Bet you could convince someone to go into a cave after a bear!

bobski, you must be as much a discerning guy as I am a salesman!!

See this bear
[Linked Image]

this was in Colorado and we did track this wounded bear to it's hole under a rock as big as a house and I did talk the smaller buddy on the left into that hole after that bear! I told him I would gut it if he went in and got it. We heard it die or at least I was 90% sure it died. He did complain a little about the spiders and big claws staring him in the face when he was far enough in the hole for me to just be able to see the soles of his boots. Of course it was hard for me to hear him complaining much cause I was laughing so hard!

Hey, wait a minute, you don't know a guy named Hot Core do you?

Back to the subject, you don't think that having a outside turning blade on the outside and a reamer blade on the inside will negate the effects of springback?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be damned! From my past training I learned to be a good judge of character and I thought I was. I had NO idea this might have been the case! Neat story and good pics. Are you the guy on the right? You ARE one helluva salesman. Remind me never to go hunting with you!

What kind of name is Hot Core? The closest to such a name I've come is the Hogg sisters in Houston, Texas. He was an old oilman and may have been involved in the beginning of Humble Oil, later to be Exxon. He named his daughers Ima and Ura. Ura died before I moved to Houston but Ima was then an old lady that was quite a philantropist; very well known in Houston in the 50's and 60's. I can't imagine Mr. Core naming his son "Hot". Are you joking or does he have something to do with Speer bullets?

Yeah, if you can work both sides concurrently that would take care of the problem. I never figured that part out except for that old tool I mentioned earlier. Reason I know of the springback is that after using the floating reamer I've tried expanding then turning the outside. The cutter never touched the upper part of the neck but when I got to the base, the site of the donut, the cutter started taking off brass, and on one side more than the other. That's when I split a case, measured, and sure enough there was a slight disparity, don't recall the exact .0000". That's when I went to the reamer die and that took care of the problem. I'm sure your way would also do it. But then it really doesn't matter much if the bearing surface of the bullet never reaches the donut when seating it. In my case I was working with a short action that required all but the lightest bullets or boattails to seat at or below the donut to fit the cartridge in the magazine.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What kind of name is Hot Core? The closest to such a name I've come is the Hogg sisters in Houston, Texas. He was an old oilman and may have been involved in the beginning of Humble Oil, later to be Exxon. He named his daughers Ima and Ura. Ura died before I moved to Houston but Ima was then an old lady that was quite a philantropist; very well known in Houston in the 50's and 60's. I can't imagine Mr. Core naming his son "Hot". Are you joking or does he have something to do with Speer bullets?

Hot Core, The last word in reload methods and tooling... whistle grin
Very knowegable but ................

Last edited by Ol` Joe; 08/02/08.

I must confess, I was born at a very early age. --Groucho Marx

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time and your government when they deserve it. --Mark Twain
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Woods has already cost me $$$.$$

dogzapper

Italian Proverb

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You ARE one helluva salesman. Remind me never to go hunting with you!

Remind me to tell of the time when I talked another buddy into catching this rattlesnake alive so we didn't booger up his head with birdshot

[Linked Image]

I had him put it in a 5 gallon bucket so I could shoot it once right in the top of the head with a pellet gun. I talked him into it by telling him I would pay for the skin mount and we would trade off putting it on our walls. The ungrateful bastard came by the other day and saw it after 12 years, remembered the deal and wanted it back!

Yeah, if you can work both sides concurrently that would take care of the problem.

Seems there would be no springback issue if the brass were being cut from both sides concurrently. Where would it spring to?

Originally Posted by Ol`Joe
Hot Core, The last word in reload methods and tooling...

I guess he doesn't fight his pressure wars and bad mouth Stoney Point "thingy's" over here, does he?

Originally Posted by Sakoluvr

Woods has already cost me $$$.$$

Can I interest you in timeshare on a 6' rattlesnake skin mount? Maybe we could change that $$$.$$ to $,$$$.$$.

Last edited by woods; 08/02/08.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks like removing the do-nut has a positive influence on accuracy

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,213
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.