Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Is there any new information on the Remington SPR22 SXS double rifle?

[Linked Image]

Link to the double rifle.

Old Campfire thread on the topic

HR IC

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here is one for sale and I see others on Guns America.

[Linked Image]

Gun Broker Rem Double

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Yep! that has "Russia" written all over it! grin

one thing I have never seen in the discussions of this beast is an actual target.

it's also interesting that it's listed in 30/06 - a very high pressure cartridge for a double.

Given that the going rate for a "plain" double is $10,000-$20,000 I can't see this being more than a toy, and maybe a liability at that.

YMMV

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have seen the Baikal shotguns and indeed the finish is crude. They function.

At one point the subject double rifle in 45-70 was priced about $550 ea before Remington got involved. Even then the price only went up a hundred or so. The thousand dollar price here is due of course to the short supply with only 30-06's available.

There has been hope, perhaps dreaming, that such a gun could be produced. For sure no SXS double rifle has been made before at such a price that I have heard of.

Of course its a toy. In some sense most guns are. If one functions it could be improved. Oh well, I am just looking for feedback.

The link is on the Remington site, still.

Baikal of Canada here.

[Linked Image]

"COMING SOON" wink

[Linked Image]

"When in Russia, do as they Russians do: The author, though admittedly uncomfortable with caliber choice, shot this large Eurasian brown bear at 40 yards with a .30-06 Express Double Rifle. It's one of many Baikal long guns currently imported."

Link

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
Blaser, to my knowledge, has been the only company to date to successfully market a jack-screw adjusted double.
(And their action, while I personally don't like the feel or cocking safety, is orders of magnitude above this in quality). In fact, I believe they're going for $10-12K now.

I also personally couldn't get past the "feel" of the screen door gasket ribs.

It's also worth noting that fit is all to a double - both the stock and the trigger alignment. I've shot right handed doubles left handed and vice versa. I've also shot short stocked doubles and there are few things less pleasant or useful.

IC B2

C
Con Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Savage 99,
A few have been sold in Australia in 30/06. They're agricultural and can do with some smoothing up work. Once that's done, your still a few thousand dollars ahead of the opposition. I know of one that was smoothed up, converted to single-trigger (from a Baikal shotgun I believe) and rechambered to a wildcat 7x65R opened to 30cal. Owner loves it ... and his single-shot 9.3x74R which cost under AUD$500.
The regulating jack screw is a revelation to those that spent hours fiddling with loads to try to regulate old English doubles ... atleast this is a SxS double rifle that you dont mind getting very wet whilst hunting!
Cheers...
Con

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Con I just spoke to the Mgr. of Baikal in Canada and suggested
that they try really,really try hard to get them to make the
double rifle either the S x S or over & under in 9.3 x 62 and they
wouldn't have to worry about any other calibre, what say you
to that! I think if everybody hit on the Canada office or Rem.
in USA and all other countries for the double in 9.3 maybe just
maybe they might respond . Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
While I agree that the 9.3-62 might be a practical choice it seems or at least used to be so that the 45-70 had quite a following.

Of course the gun must be made. It seems that 30-06's were made which was never the first choice for a double.

Perhaps there is some problem with the 45-70?

In any case I could go for a 9.3-62. Come to think of it I might prefer it over the 45-70.

As to the over and under rifle well forget it for me. I have no interest in a over and under. None at all.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
FWIW, there is a new thread on AR about the SPR 22

a few notable quotes on the POS rifle from the two who've gotten their hands on one:

Well I picked up my Rem SPR 22 30-06 on Thursday. I spent almost four hours on Friday fitting the forend to the receiver.
The fit where the curve of the forend meets the receiverr was so tight that the latch would not close.I lapped the radius until it fit.
The ejector was so tight that the action had to be opened over my knee and forced closed.
I cleaned rust out of hole where the ejector rod goes and freed it up some.
I went to the range and used Remington ammo 180gr Corelocks.
After 2 shoots the action was hard to open and the primers were set back.
I tried Federal Classic 180gr Hi Shock SP. The results were the same except the primer set back was not as bad.I believe this is because Fed pimers are harder than Rem.When I got home and inspected the cases more throughly I noticed that the shoulders had moved forward.
I tried a no go gauge in both chambers and the rifle closes on gauge. I believe the cambers are long.
I am going to call Remington on Monday. I will post more when I hear from them.

I also had very simmalar problems with mine.
Hard to open and the safety stopped working.
Mine had primer pucker marks around the firing pin.
The firing pin holes were over sized.

Mine was one of the very first to come to Canada and was a Baikal. I sent it in for repair but the store I was dealing with screwed up and Baikal got it back not knowing there was anything wrong with it.

yep! sounds like a winner! It's apparently possible to get a $16,000 rifle for $800 afterall. whistle

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
There's one in the local shop here for $600 and change.....

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the link Lefty. The big surprise to me is that I know Dave Sorel well and we belong to the same club! We shoot together at times.

Dave has been to Africa for plains game and has an active gun collection.

When I opened the link it was just a little too late at night to call him but I will talk it up with him tomorrow.

I have been off of AR for about a year. Seems as if I have missed things. Thanks.

Here is a picture of our range.

[Linked Image]

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
small world, eh ? maybe he'll be able to save you some headaches ! grin

that range looks impossibly green compared to what I'm used to...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I was at the range the other day and the guy next to me was shooting one. He had one barrel shooting well and was trying to regulate the other with the screw under the barrel. He liked his and was going to use it to shoot hogs in Texas. He was shooting 220 grain Corelokts and the concussion was so severe that I wish I had plugs under my earmuffs.

If you look behind my Savage 1899 in .38-55 you can see it.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ROMAC; 07/16/08.

"Somehow, the sound of a shotgun tends to cheer one up" -- Robert Ruark
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
As of 7-16-08 I have received from Remington this answer:

"Thanks for visiting Remington Country! We appreciate your interest and support of Remington products.

Based on current production schedules, which are subject to change without notice, we show production and delivery of the SPR22. Our records indicate AccuSport received the first shipment of the 30-06 caliber SPR22 and we are planning on being able to offer the 45-70 later in the year.

You may wish to have your local dealer contact one of the following wholesalers to locate this product:

NOTE: These wholesalers will only provide information to licensed firearms dealers.

Acusport MT 406-252-2109
AcuSport OH 937-593-7010

We hope that this information will be helpful to you. If we can be of further assistance, please contact us at 1-800-243-9700, M-F, 9am-5pm EST.

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
just be careful ! some of the reports I've read give me the willies. I'm not sure I'd shoot one.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I thought remington discontinued the rifle - it isn't listed on their web site as a current offering.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
True, nor is the supply certain or steady. They (Baikal & now Rem.) have broken promise after promise on delivery.

Still, the gun is of interest. [Linked Image]

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I know that I'd really like one, but not in 30-06. I get the sense that the action isn't quite up to the task. I wonder whether it would be better using the low pressure rounds?

I would think that such a set=up would be a natural in a rimmed cartridge - 45/70 in particular.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw one in .30/06 at a local gun shop about 3 weeks ago. It looked and handled better than I thought they would but the price $894.00 +tax was too much for that quality of gun.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I can see it clearly!! Double rifle chambered in 348 Winchester and peep sights, with a European stock and regulated at 50 yards.

Hogzilla beware!

Wayne

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,806 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,306
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.