Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
I learnt in this forum, that Swaro AV ("American Version") scopes tend to fail. There are not such rumors in Europe concerning (Tyrolian) homemade AVs.

As AVs, sold in the US, are assembled in USA: how come that they are likely more apt to fail, at least compared to their Euro cousins. Same construction, same material...

I would suggest 2 possible reasons:

One. We tend to mount scopes ourselves instead of having a gunsmith do it for us as is more common in Europe. I think this would lead to more mounting screw-ups over here that might affect the scopes reliability. I think this might be what the problem was with the AV failure I had.

Two. On average I think the American shooter shoots a much more powerful caliber than the average European. Lots of Mags over here.

Just hypothesis but might be part of why.......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I was told by several friends of mine with SCI that the USA scopes aren't made with the top of the line glass like the EURO'S have in them.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What a bunch of BS. The AVs use the same glass. Ask them.

Typically misleading, Roe. I trust that was tongue in cheek.

As you well know the AVs that had their problems showcased were the early production and mostly one model.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I for one would be more likely to buy one if it was partially made in the USA, assembled. It would seem to me that if they are assembled in North America they would probably be serviced over here as well.

I am pretty confident that in a US facility quality control would be pretty good, at least as good as the Philippines.

I think it's a little funny that a European company is kind of embarrassed to admit their products are assembled in the US.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly gun.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Well, they have done a bang up job or protecting a price point....

But beside that, can you imagine what kind of labeling nightmare it would become having to reveal where all the parts were actually manufactured, or assembled ?

What if there is partial assembly of a sub-system and then final assembly? Name them all, name the one with the highest percentage of assembly, or the last place of assembly?

What about raw materials? And of course a disclosure that no one was hurt or taken advantage of in the procurement of such.

I'd say give it up and use "Made in the World"

I'm convinced US quality control can be the best in the world--provided top management desires it to be so....

Defend the Constitution
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
But beside that, can you imagine what kind of labeling nightmare it would become having to reveal where all the parts were actually manufactured, or assembled ?

The standard in the automotive industry,and most other industries, is to use the address of the plant where the parts are assembled.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Stubble, bottom line for me is I believe QC is a good anywhere in the world provided top management intends it to be...so the "made in" label means squat anymore.

Browning did the "made in, assembled in" thing and I think Swaro could make a case for using the "made in" half of the equation.

But if consumers believe that where its assembled makes a difference as a result of marketing done (like the "Old World Craftmanship" line) than I think you have a case for it being misleading.

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I sent an email to swarovski once regarding the AV scope as compared to the PH and the reply was that the AV line does have a different type of spring supporting the erector assembly so that may have something to do with it. I think is was a coil spring vs some sort of flat spring in the ph. it is posted somewhere on the campfire forums

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Swarovski needs to label which products are "assembled in the USA", otherwise people may start assuming all of their products such as binoculars and spotters are assembled in the USA.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Hey Bob:

A few years ago I had an AV front lens replaced and the work order said "PH". I called and the tech told me then that the AV and PH used the same lenses.

My interest in the area was then the advertising print showing the AV line as having a higher light throughput than did the PH..

Like it really matters...but none the less.

Prior to the US dollar's recent predictable plunge, the AV was the best value hands down--once they got past the prototypes smile

Now, I hope they build in the US to keep a lid on prices--as rifle scope prices are outlandish for the little practical utility gained in recent years.

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (1minute, 160user, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 12,335 guests, and 1,053 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,368
Posts18,547,140
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.