Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by POPGUN
Isnt Cooper chambering a .257 AI?
Now there's a Rifle...!
I don't know but they are chambering a 25-06AI...
http://cooperfirearms.com/rifles.php?rifle_name=ex&cal=25-06ai-52

GB1

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
People: Three pages of posts and nobody on here has a Kimber in 257 Roberts yet that they can comment on? You guys are slipping pretty bad....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BobinNH
People: Three pages of posts and nobody on here has a Kimber in 257 Roberts yet that they can comment on? You guys are slipping pretty bad....

LMAO. Lee's got one and its made in S.C. and he's got pic too!!!

I like it here. They let me swear.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Bob,

I know it's not a 257 Bob,but I just bought a like new Kimber of recent vintage. I have owned three or four 84s in 7mm-08 and one in 308,all were kinda dissapointing. All of them shot closer to two moa than one,and a couple had feeding issues.

So I had kinda swore em off,but have been sorely tempted to get a Bob myself. What I got was a nearly new 8400 Super America in 338 win mag. It has killer wood and the fit and finish is right there with a Dakota that I own.

I took a chance on it because the previous owner said it was a decent shooter. Here's the deal,it feeds and functions slicker than anything this side of a pre64 and I've had a few of them too.

And it shoots,it will put the first two 210 grain nosler partitions inside a nickle,even when you give the barrel no time to cool between the two shots. The third round opens the group up to an inch and a half but by then the thin barrel is very hot in this Alabama 95 degree heat.

I'll take two quick shots in the same spot in a ragged hole anytime in a light sporter.

This Super America is a nice rifle that shows lots of attention to detail,if all new Kimbers feed and shoot this good,then I'll have to get a 257 Bob myself.

Now if somebody will just buy one and report back,what are you guys waiting for anyway?

Britt

Last edited by ruraldoc; 07/25/08.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm waiting for one of my "friendly" gun shops to get one in! They ordered them 6 months ago but still no go....

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Local shop here has at least one new Kimber in 257 Bob on the shelf right now. This is the same shop that wouldn't order the Cooper for me, and give me the advertised discount. The discount is still going on, too (10% off all firearms). Should I run down there tomorrow morning and pick up a new Kimber in 257 Bob? I remember looking at an 84M Select Grade with French Walnut in 308 Win right before I bought my Montana last summer. It was very nice! I also read that article in Rifle Shooter magazine earlier this evening about the new 84M in 257 Bob. Pretty interesting read.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Even if it takes some 'smithing to make it just right, a Kimber Montana 84M in 257 Bob is a match made in heaven IMHO.

DJ

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Britt: Well, see? If you get a good one you have a nice rifle.I figure if it doesn't shoot,I can send it out for a new barrel.That will cost more money,sure, but like I said, the other amenities with the rifle justify it,and it's still cheaper than a full custom.I would not mind getting a 9'twist barrel on a Roberts anyway.

I have a soft spot for the old cartridge and used it on my biggest pronghorn at about 375-400 yards.He was a big old Carbon County hog that scored over 80.How can I not like the Roberts? grin

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bob - I don't think you'll be happy till you scratch this itch. Just give me a nod, and I'll call Barry at Kimber and get you a Montana in 257. Load a 115 Partition to about 2900 fps and take it to Wyoming this fall. All the bucks in region D had better watch out!

IC B3

B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
270: We can talk about this later today! smile crazy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You be on a ROLL there Bob! Leica's... Kimbers... you go, man!

That is one sweet-sounding rifle in theory. I will raise an Oregon microbrew in the general direction of New Hampshire (uh... "back East", right?) in honor of your new rifle, and in hopes that you get a good 'un.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jeff:These things come and go in phases...I've been around long enough to know that when sporting goods manufacturers finally make something GOOD, that works real well, and the public wants and uses....they will discontinue it smirk grin

So I am kinda thinking that the Kimber is one of the nicer rifles chambered for the Roberts that has been around in awhile,and IF YOU GET A GOOD SHOOTER, you will have a very nice rifle.I will make the SOB shoot even if it means throwing money at it. Hopefully this will not be necessary.

Now, the question.....do I get the Montana?or the blued steel/wood model? Anyone?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Get the wood,if you are like me you already have enough plastic wunderguns that are just souless machines.

You're probably going to get it bedded and maybe rebarreled,get the wood and if it does't shoot put a stainless barrel on it and have it cerracoated and pillar bedded.

It will then be pretty,light,and accurate,the perfect 257 Roberts. A classic like the Roberts or the 7x57 just demand a nice wood stock for all the world to be in harmony. grin

Britt

Last edited by ruraldoc; 07/27/08.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Bob..get the wood/blued steel..it just lends itself to the 257 bob..Im right behind you on this one..could always send it to "Hill Country"

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I would be hard pressed to make the call on Montana, or no. To me, the Montana would bridge the Old and new, while the standard 84 would adhere to tradition. I do love the .257 Roberts, and you couldn't pry my son's Roberts out of his hands with a wrecking bar.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

N
N
WOOD! Sweet gun for sure!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Bob you know what they say? "Steels for real" go with wood and blue keep it real.

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nhhuNter1
WOOD! Sweet gun for sure!

Yep, that should be everyone's primary, but I have that backup wonder tupperware rifle for the crappy days.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
B
BobinNH Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Guys: With all this sage advice,I guess it's gonna be wood and blued steel!It really will be a nice little Roberts. For years a pal and I (270GUY on here)have lamented the pre64 was never made in a featherweight,so I guess this will be as close as it gets.

Britt,they do in fact bed the rifle and it comes with pillars so I guess you're saying it might have to be rebedded,right?

Oldguns, Hill Country would be a good place to send it if it misbehaves.

This will be a fun little project,a no brainer, so to speak.I have not seriously used the Roberts in years.The big antelope came when we were out hiking around before deer season. I remember looking at him and saying to myself, that is ONE BIG GOAT!but pretty far away...I looked at the Roberts and wished it had been my 270. I stuck the crosshairs of the 4X Leupold slightly over his back,and down through his leg as he quartered to me and squeezed off;I heard the bullet hit,he ran in a tiny circle and collapsed. The 100 gr Partition caught him on the point of the shoulder,and ranged back to the offside flank.I have not taken a bigger antelope since.

How can you not like a cartridge like that?!

Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (beefan, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, 338reddog, 7 invisible), 906 guests, and 884 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,263
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.