Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I hope it's not me, but I honestly feel that I'm not the only one out there with "character" rifles in the safe. These are rifles that have been there/done that and have gotten bloody many times over. They've had some serious rounds down their tubes and fit your hands like an old pair of work gloves. I mean rifles with soul, rifles that just flat out get it done for you. I have two such in the safe and no, they'll never be for sale grin.

Savage M110 in 243. This rifle has shot 70-100gr handloads into very tight groups and just flat out gets in done. It killed my first deer ever in 1991 and a deer this past season. It goes out every year because it's an old friend, I know it like the inside of my well used pick up truck, and it just delivers. It's bedded in a laminate stock now (versus the injection molded factory one) and man this guy is a serious shooter. Deer hate it, shooters love it.

Remington M760 in 30-06. Dad bought this rifle the same year the stork brought me (1977). It's fallen a good number of deer by both him and myself. It points like a dove gun, shoots darn fine, and just screams "let's go hunting" when I pick it up. I can hold the muzzle straight up and hit the slide release and the slide comes down about 3/4 the way down. It's been shot probably alot more than your average 760, but still runs an 1" at 100 yards with handloads. Matter of fact, the only one hole group I ever shot with a big game rifle at 100 yards was with this gun. I put three 165gr Nosler BTs fueled by 55gr of IMR 4350 into a one holer. I couldn't do this again for all the bourbon in Kentucky, but it's nice to know that the gun can!

Both of these souls have seen rain, snow, 90+ degree temps, sand, dirt, mud, and of course...blood. I love 'em. Let's hear about yours.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
HR IC

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I have a few. My favorite is a '46 vintage Savage 99 in .300 Savage. It has been on many a hunt with me, and is just... well, I guess the word is comfortable. It shoots well, and is easy to carry. Another one is my sporterized swedish mauser. I saved it from the scrap heap long ago, after some bubba had really mangled it. It is nothing to look at with it's synthetic stock and stuff, but I took my first buck with it. It'll get passed on to the kids one of these days.

-Mb

Him that came down from the trees
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
My grandpa and a couple uncles, not very wealthy ones at that, scraped up to get me a brand new Marlin 336T for my 14th Christmas. Not only has that little rifle been all over the place with me but when my best friend broke the stock on his rifle he killed his first ever buck with it. I swear I would shoot a man in the back that was running off with that thing. It is WAAY more than just metal and wood to me.

If there's one thing I've become certain of it's that there's too much certainty in the world.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two, An M94 in .30-30 I bought when I was 13, and a Savage 110 .30-06 I bought in High school. The Savage has been through a lot of scopes, a couple of barrels, and now has a synthetic stock, but it is a shooter. The M94 has only had a Williams FP added. Both are used every year. I do own and use other rifles, but those are the hands-down sentimental favorites.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
mine is prolly a ruger 77 mk 2 in 22-250, its never missed a called coyote, there is something to being confident about the gun your shooting.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I prefer some character in my deer rifles, which is why most of them are very old, yet still accurate and reliable enough to put venison in the freezer each year. They just feel better in the hand while hunting, than some shiny new Wonder Gun.

All bets are off when it comes to varmint hunting, although most of the choices there also have plenty of character and age to 'em.

I even like "me" better, now that I've got some patina myself.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Mine's an old Rem 700 BDL bbled action in 35 Whelen that I bedded in an old walnut rem mountain rifle stock. It fits perfectly, carries like an old friend, and shoots better than anything else in the safe. Most of the others never a get a chance during a bull hunt.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That's some good stuff fellas. Thanks for posting. Keep 'em coming!

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
My youngest son now hunts with a 6mm Rem 700 BDL that Dad gave me in 1974. It's a great old rifle. Sudden death on rockchucks, coyotes and mule deer. I refinished the stock about 1986 or so with Tru-Oil. It still looks good. The lad did ask that I update the scope, so it's topped with a 3.5-10x Leupold now and still shoots 2.5" groups at 300 yards with deer loads. smile

I like to haul out the ol' 1917 .30-06 for a hunt now and again. It's been through the mill a time or three.

Regards, Guy

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
It is a thrill to me find an older "wood and blue steel" firearm for sale in the used gun rack if it has the right kind of wear, what I would call "honest" wear, worn blueing under the receiver where it has been carried and shinny metal showing thru on the edges. If the woods' finish is worn evenly without too many scratches and maybe just a little oil soaked. It seems that I find this a lot on firearms manufactured from the late forties to the late fifties. Most any Winchester of that peroid, Remington 721 and 722 rifles, Model 99 Savage, even the Sears Roebuck Model 50 and 51 rifles of that peroid can have that experienced look I like. I have found these guns in pawn shops often and I imagine that their original owner probably used it and cherished it and left it to some one who let it go for a $25 or $50 loan that they never repaid.
My first rifle purchase about 40 years ago was a Winchester 670 in 30-06. It wasn't long before I traded it or sold it to get something newer, better, faster and I have had scores of rifles since then. Looking back now I think I would have been just fine if that had been only rifle for 98% of my hunting. Last year I purchased a pretty decent Model 670 and I think I am going to spend the next decade or so of hunting I have left imparting some character on this rifle. Or at least until something newer, better, faster comes along.

Tarheel

No people will tamely surrender their Liberties when knowledge is diffusd and virtue is preservd. On the contrary, when people are ignorant, and debauchd in their manners they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of Invaders. Samuel Adams
IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have a Rem. 7600 that's coming along.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
I have a Rem. 7600 that's coming along.

Yeah but my Rem. 760 was "pre-mojo'd" before I bought it (grin). He's not near retirement age either...just so you know.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My character rifle is a Marlin 336CS in 30-30 that my dad gave me for my 12th Christamas. He helped me break it down, smoothed the action and taught me to shoot. I've owned alot of guns since then(27 yrs and counting) but this one will never be sold. During tough financial times I sold alot of guns and then rebuilt but not this one. It killed my first deer and eventhough I've made the swing from leverguns to bolt actions its one that always gets packed for a deer hunt and usually goes out at least one day while there. It is like an extension of my arm, shoots 1" groups all day and probably has 800-1000 rounds down the barrel.

Dad left for the happy hunting grounds 15 yrs ago but carrying that rifle in november while hunting alway brings back memories for me.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Man that's what I mean...a rifle with soul and purpose. Thanks for sharing!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I took my little wad of lawn mowing money to Dad and told him I wanted a thutty thutty. Dad said let me see how much ya got. He counted my money and said, " close enough I guess".

He took me to town on Saturday and we came home with a shiney new 1967 Marlin 336 RC/ straight stock and 5 boxes of ammo.

That was my first centerfire. It still shoots great after thousands of rounds. I used to buy reloads in .50 cal. ammo cans and shot 'em like .22's. The bluing is all gone, it's been re-crowned 3 times and the wood is on about the 4th Tru Oil refinish.
It's worn a Williams peep/Firesight combo for many years.
I can't remember the last time I missed anything bigger than a rabbit inside of 200 yds. with the old girl.

Now, I just want one of my grandsons to ask for this rifle, so I can have a good reason not to have it stuck in the casket when I go.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
My Remington 721 in .270. It was my grandfathers, then my fathers now mine. The gun has taken damn near everything in North America. My late grandfather hunted all over, Alaska, Canada, Michigan etc etc etc. And killed near every animal you can think of! My dad took his first whitetail, mule deer, and elk. I took my first mountain lion with it. The gun is beat to hell, scratched nicks and dings every where but that thing will shoot lights out! Im talking 1/2 inch everytime with factory ammo!

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Mine I still use its a old model 06, 70 push feed bought when I was 13 took me a year to pay it off. That gun has killed a ton of deer and some elk. I have thought many times of replacing it but I will never part with it. I broke the butt of the stock on a shale hill side a back country hunt in Idaho with part of the stock missing I shot a nice buck. Got home and we fitted a piece of dowl in the corner where I chipped that stock. The stock has marks all over and it is heavier than crap but I love that gun there are so many memories. Every time I pick it up I think I need a new stock but I will never change it. The gun just seems lucky. I will be in Wy this fall for deer and it is going as a back up but if things don't go right I am going to pick it up again.

Attached Images
10536-IMG_0333.JPG (0 Bytes, 23 downloads)
Last edited by ehunter; 07/25/08.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
emington M760 in 30-06. Dad bought this rifle the same year the stork brought me (1977).

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but a stork had nothin' to "due" with your arrival. I know it's hard to imagine and you probably wish you'd go blind when you do, but your parents partook in the ritual of mating.

My FIL has a Ruger tang 77 in 280 with a heavy barrel that is a joy to shoot and can thread needles. I've taken many a deer with that rifle.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Most of my rifles are still too new to have earned much character, but there is one that has it in spades. It is an 03-A3 Springer that somebody sporterized years ago. The barrel is stamped 1942. The stock is original but has been modified with a add-on pistol grip and black forend cap. The buttplate says Herters. The trigger is a Timney. The rear sight is a Lyman 57SME. I installed a new Marbles front bead to bring the POI inline with my chosen loads. This fourth of July all my buddies brought their favorite fun guns over for the annual shoot. Of all the guns there, my son favored my old Springfield the most. He was thrilled with the peep sight and light trigger, and how well he could hit with that rifle. It was one of those cherished moments when one's son finally realizes that dad was right all along. He was so pleased with it that he wants to use it for deer hunting this fall, even though he has taken possession of dad's trick stainless/synthetic 300 RUM - the type of gun that seems to be all the rage these days, especially with younger shooters.

Second in line for character points is my tang safety Ruger M77 in 7x57. It's just a good old friend of a rifle, and the caliber wreaks of character. It wears a Leupold 2-7x33, which is one of my all time favorite hunting scopes.

-

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I started out with a 336 Marlin in .35 Remington. Sorry I ever sold it. Had to buy a then new 7 mm Rem magnum. After my 2nd 7mm Mag, I bought a tang safety Ruger in 7X57. Carried it for many years. Liked it better as I used it. It wore a simple 4X B&L. My other rifle, a Weatherby Magnum wore first a 2.5-8X B&L, then a 6.5-20AO. It, and all of my other magnums, are long gone. Once I discovered how deadly the premium bullets, like the Nosler Partition, can make a standard round, I've never gone back to them.
Guess what ? I still have the Ruger. It is now a .280, wearing a McMillian stock, a Pac-Nor barrel, and a 6X42. But it still has the soul of my old 7X57. Why ? It puts almost any load in the same group at 100 yds. And it does not change zero, just like my old 7X57.
I've got another. Bought in 1996. It's an M70 Fwt. in .308. Another 4X, a Leupold. It's on it's third stock. Finally got one which will allow me to shoot the same POI with a shooting sling. Again, does not change zero. Tweaked factory trigger that can't be believed.
Both are well used and have been tweaked a good bit. But still the same reliable rifle. Lots of dings. The Ruger has been repainted and lightend since I redid it to .280. Feels even better than it ever did. A little lighter too. Both balance on the front guard screw.
I'm of the belief that no rifle can be really relied upon unless it has some time under it. Unless it's been carried and shot alot. These two fit that requirement. I have a third and soon a fourth that will join them. Each is a little different. But they all do very much the same jobs. I've found it's a mistake to specialize much in big game/large varmit rifles. E

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

464 members (1badf350, 219 Wasp, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 1OntarioJim, 52 invisible), 2,073 guests, and 1,097 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,277
Posts18,505,057
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.