Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well, this is quite the shocker. First of all, I'd like to express (as others already have) how much I've enjoyed your articles in the Wolfe publications. Since Finn's passing, you're about the only writer that I really connect with on a regular basis...I find myself nodding my head in agreement while reading your articles, and I often read them over and over again, even going back to them years after they've been written as reference sources. I do enjoy the occasional Pierce and Haviland pieces as well; however, they're not enough to keep my subscription with Wolfe going. I suspect that we'll see the demise of Wolfe Publishing not too long down the road, although that benefits the shooting community not one whit. As it is, Rifle and Handloader are the only gun publications that I read anymore.

Have you thought about starting up your own gun magazine? I ask for purely selfish reasons, as it'd be nice to be able to find all of your articles in one place... grin

Originally Posted by RED53
Some shooting knowledge: Don't stand in front of the muzzle. Some hunting knowledge: Too much noise ruins the hunt.
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
JB thanks for all you contributions over the years and as long as you continue to visit the campfire from time to time we'll be happy. You've always been a great help. Best of luck with your future projects.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I thought some people might like to know that as of this morning I am no longer working for Wolfe Publishing, either as a writer or editor. Several other magazines are interested in publishing my articles, however.

Their loss, someone else's gain. Keep challenging everything, I'll keep buying your work.

Jeff
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S

M.D. This is is serious, I need my monthly Barsness fix. I don't care how or where, just make it happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

Good luck to you in your future endeavors. Now that being said, I am a little POed, as I just had the wife renew Rifle, and subscribe to Successful Hunter so she can mail them to me in the mail box on my return trip next month. I guess, I'll just go to the PX and thumb through what they have that may have your articles in them.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
John,
Nothing is forever. I really enjoy your common sense writing and straight talk in your articles. You do much good for the average hunter shooter with advice that is well reasoned and from experience. I think that you and Carmichel are the best in the business. Keep up with the good work and best regards for future success.

Luke

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I have anything to do with it, we'll be seeing a lot more of John Barsness right here on the Campfire.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Maybe you could make him an Honorary Kahuna?

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
J
JYC Offline
J
John, I've followed your writings for many years.
Nice to read articles that, when you are done, generally don't leave you feeling you've been piped a load of BS.
Keep up the good work, and let us know where to read your work.
Good luck.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by RickBin
If I have anything to do with it, we'll be seeing a lot more of John Barsness right here on the Campfire.

Do I smell an online subscription? I think I do, I'd like two helpings please !!!

"If all the good luck and all the bad luck I've had were put together, I reckon it'd make the biggest damned pile of luck in the world." Charlie Goodnight

IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JYC
John, I've followed your writings for many years.
Nice to read articles that, when you are done, generally don't leave you feeling you've been piped a load of BS.
Keep up the good work, and let us know where to read your work.
Good luck.

Exactly. Reading his stuff doesn't leave you feeling like you just watched a commercial on tv. He actually TEACHES us something.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I want to get my "good luck JB" in here too. Looking forward to whereever you write from. Keep up your good work.

Rolly
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sense a large disturbance in the force- methinks there will be a mass exodus from the Wolfe subscriptions.... myself for one!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It figures.... after a long hiatus, i just got a subscription for Rifle and Handloader, the 338 federal/ .358 win article in handloader is what prompted me, oh well at least its only a year subscrption.... JB was the main factor for signing up......

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
HI, John I have enjoyed your writing and straight forward approach to topics that you have covered the mags wont be the same without you ,Thanks,Craig

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Friend John, if my experience is any good as an augury, you'll hear � often � for years � "[those magazines] haven't been any good since you left."

The trend will continue beyond and beside this Campfire thread. You can expect to hear it from a flattering number of the readers whom you meet at SHOT Shows, NRA conventions, etc, and afield � from more readers, more often, for more years than I have, I predict.

(FWIW, I didn't hear that quite so often after you started writing for 'em.)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I know just which magazine to grab when I need to read some self-congratulatory drivel, statistical articles that read like police reports, or an overdose of passive voice, all completely uninterupted by colorful & compelling stories that make me feel as if I'd seen the country and smelled the wet hair of the game myself.

On the bright side, MORE BOOKS! WOOHOO!

BTW: The Campfire owes JB more thanks yet, ie: I found this site (as did many others, no doubt) after googling "custom rifles and wildcats" after it was mentioned in a magazine piece once.
I'm just sayin'...

Last edited by sourmash; 08/04/08.

"The catfish is a plenty good enough fish for anyone"
-Mark Twain
"Democracy is the worst form of government except for all those others that have been tried."
~ Winston Churchill

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I wonder -

- Does anyone at Wolfe read the Campfire?

- Do they know how we, the subscribers, feel?

- Do they care????

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
- Do they care????

Since we really do not know all the specifics as to why John is no longer writing for them, we cannot assume there was anything Wolfe could have done to keep him there. It is entirely possible that Wolfe's and John's priorities were at odds and no compromise was possible.

As readers we feel that all that matters is what we want, but the reality of the publishing business is that advertisers matter as much - perhaps more - than readers. It is a catch 22....no advertisers = no magazine. Piss of the advertisers and the magazine goes bankrupt. But piss off the readers and lose circulation = no advertisers. All magazines have to balance these basic realities, and readers who ignore these facts fool themselves.

John will land somewhere and he will continue to please us with his work. Wolfe will continue on without him just fine. Change happens, get over it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djs
I wonder -

- Do they care????

- I doubt it.

- totally irrelevant because of answer #3

- No.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 14 of 19 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

276 members (21, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 29 invisible), 1,735 guests, and 1,096 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,987
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.